Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Caster and its tunning for performance change. >

Caster and its tunning for performance change.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Caster and its tunning for performance change.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Default Caster and its tunning for performance change.

I've recently come back to this hobby and have read numerous things about the effects of caster change and there seems to be some very different opinions. Even between manufacturers their opinions differ considerably, and one manufacturer in particular has changed their opinion of it between its last two models. Can anybody shed some light on caster change and their reasons why they belive it to be as they do?
Old 01-14-2016, 09:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It's my experience that more caster will give you a little more steering in the high-speed sections of the track, like the sweeper, and less caster will give you more steering the slower sections of the infield.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
It's my experience that more caster will give you a little more steering in the high-speed sections of the track, like the sweeper, and less caster will give you more steering the slower sections of the infield.
And more caster should make the truck feel more stable on corner exit, correct?
Old 01-15-2016, 03:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
...and when you refer to "more caster" I assume that you mean leant back more. Which is the way I always felt it worked,however I think you and I would be in the minority.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:10 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Caster can have a big effect. I recommend you doing laps at one setting, then changing it and taking note of the affects for yourself. That's part of the fun.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Here's an excerpt from the Hudy Off-Road Tuning Guide. I keep a PDF copy of it in my Google Drive so I can refer to it when I'm at the track. You can find it on Hudy's website here

Old 01-16-2016, 01:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 68pontiac
Here's an excerpt from the Hudy Off-Road Tuning Guide. I keep a PDF copy of it in my Google Drive so I can refer to it when I'm at the track. You can find it on Hudy's website here

I apreciate thats Hudy's take on the effects of caster change, I just cant see why. I like to understand why more caster gives more/less corner entry. And when the info thats out there is contradictory I wonder if anybody knows why.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Piles
I apreciate thats Hudy's take on the effects of caster change, I just cant see why. I like to understand why more caster gives more/less corner entry. And when the info thats out there is contradictory I wonder if anybody knows why.
First post so be gentle

I have been reading up on suspension and my understanding is that increasing your caster provides additional camber when you turn the wheel. So with less caster you get less additional camber as the wheel turns - from what Ct America has posted this looks like it keeps the wheel at the correct angle while it is not heavily loaded. However once the suspension is loaded up the camber gain isn't enough hence understeer mid and corner exit.

More caster has the opposite effect, too much camber gain at light loading (when turning in) but much better once loaded up therefore better steering mid corner or on corner exit.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I've always done it as:

More caster less entry more on power exit.

Less caster more entry less on power exit
Old 01-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pistol123
First post so be gentle

I have been reading up on suspension and my understanding is that increasing your caster provides additional camber when you turn the wheel. So with less caster you get less additional camber as the wheel turns - from what Ct America has posted this looks like it keeps the wheel at the correct angle while it is not heavily loaded. However once the suspension is loaded up the camber gain isn't enough hence understeer mid and corner exit.

More caster has the opposite effect, too much camber gain at light loading (when turning in) but much better once loaded up therefore better steering mid corner or on corner exit.
I would agree with your thoughts with the exception of turning in would promote high loading. (think about the end of a straight, you let off throttle and turn in, the weight transfers to the front promoting high load)And corner exiting would be light loading. (again think of your exit from a bend, you would be accelaerating, transfering weight to the rear thus lightening the load of the front wheels)
Old 01-16-2016, 10:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry was only referring to lateral load, as in when you first turn the wheel in the very first instance there is no sideways lean.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:48 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry was only referring to lateral load, as in when you first turn the wheel in the very first instance there is no sideways lean.
Yeah, I am by no means, an expert, I wouldnt be confused by this if I was.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you take the additional camber gain from the front compressing under breaking, again it would mean you have too much camber during initial turn in - so less caster helps turn in by adding less.

Similarly when mid and exiting the front lifts, so you loose camber so more caster adds a bit more and gives you the right amount.

I think that's whats happening but happy to corrected.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

If you take the additional camber gain from the front compressing under breaking, again it would mean you have too much camber during initial turn in - so less caster helps turn in by adding less.

Similarly when mid and exiting the front lifts, so you loose camber so more caster adds a bit more and gives you the right amount.

I think that's whats happening but happy to corrected.
Perhaps Im looking at this from the perspective. Lets just say we find the maximum amount of grip in a bend for any given circumstance. If we were to change to a greater or lesser amount of caster we will get less grip for the same circumstance.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Less caster would have more weight transfer to the front during braking, which would mean greater traction and thus turn-in under corner entry.

Assuming you are braking into a corner...!
Slashripper likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.