Community
Wiki Posts
Search

motor over heating help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 09:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default motor over heating help

I had a reedy m3 with 32/70 gearing which is pretty much what everybody at the local track runs and it was fine never run hot never had an issue just kept getting passed by trinity motors so i bought a trinity 24k certified using it with a justtock esc put the same gearing back on came off after 6 minutes at 200 tried 31 32 and 33 pinion all came off just at about 200 34 pinion comes off at 175 or so but it has to no corner speed at all I hated it and 29 pinion comes off at 175 also but has no top speed at all every person I asked is running either 31 or 32 why is mine so hot its a 50 timing which the certifieds come with
Old 12-31-2015, 07:34 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryanh827
I had a reedy m3 with 32/70 gearing which is pretty much what everybody at the local track runs and it was fine never run hot never had an issue just kept getting passed by trinity motors so i bought a trinity 24k certified using it with a justtock esc put the same gearing back on came off after 6 minutes at 200 tried 31 32 and 33 pinion all came off just at about 200 34 pinion comes off at 175 or so but it has to no corner speed at all I hated it and 29 pinion comes off at 175 also but has no top speed at all every person I asked is running either 31 or 32 why is mine so hot its a 50 timing which the certifieds come with
Stop being so focused on temp.

Worry about feel and speed. Also, what car is this in? What wind motor? I'm assuming 17.5, right? What size fan are you running? What size track? What transmission mods do you have? How heavy is the car?

You can not gear a car over the internet. It's just not possible.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

well the 24k is a short stack...so maybe it gets hotter quicker....try the 24ko....
Old 12-31-2015, 09:09 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by skinned
well the 24k is a short stack...so maybe it gets hotter quicker....try the 24ko....
Or gear it down?

We have no clue what vehicle it's even installed in.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Socket
Stop being so focused on temp.

Worry about feel and speed. Also, what car is this in? What wind motor? I'm assuming 17.5, right? What size fan are you running? What size track? What transmission mods do you have? How heavy is the car?

You can not gear a car over the internet. It's just not possible.
sorry yah 17.5 its a serpent 2wd buggy track is pretty tight in the middle and but has 2 probably 40 foot straight aways no tranny mods everything was left the way it came and 31 felt great which is what 99% of people are running but I just spent 150 on the motor and don't want to fry it im also using a duratrax temp gun not sure if there know to be wrong or not
Old 12-31-2015, 09:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

I found that I needed to gear my short stacks down. I would go through the car to make sure there isn't anything dragging on the motor....a bad bearing or binding trans. I don't run a fan and I'm able to keep my Trinity 17.5s within a reasonable temp range when its 100+ out and the actual track temp is 125-130 degrees.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
I found that I needed to gear my short stacks down. I would go through the car to make sure there isn't anything dragging on the motor....a bad bearing or binding trans. I don't run a fan and I'm able to keep my Trinity 17.5s within a reasonable temp range when its 100+ out and the actual track temp is 125-130 degrees.
best ive got it was 175 and it was way to slow for the track I race at and I just got into about 2 months ago so don't really know much about them had a couple guys look at it they said everything felt good but that my wheels were way to tight that they are dragging so loosened them it helped a little but with what runs best and matching almost every single person is stock buggys gearing it runs about 210
Old 12-31-2015, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Can you answer all of my questions I asked previously?

Also, what IR is your battery? What's the battery temp when hitting the track?
Old 12-31-2015, 04:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Can you answer all of my questions I asked previously?

Also, what IR is your battery? What's the battery temp when hitting the track?
I tired to answer the best I could no fan I guess only the one that comes on the esc no tranny mods at all never temped the battery like I said only been doin it about a month never messed with anything I was in novice nothing mattered but got kicked out now just trying to keep up with stock guys without frying my motor in a week not sure what ir is the battery is a 4600 80c
Old 01-01-2016, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sounds like to me that you're not a top level driver, and straight speed is more then just horsepower in stock class. If you're not running anything lightweight and not as good of a driver, you won't keep up to the others plain and simple. Lightweight parts reduce temps, and more skill is more corner speed which translates to more straight speed.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcjunky1
Lightweight parts reduce temps...
Nonsense. Stop perpetuating this myth. A good car with stock parts, in good working order is every bit as fast as one with a bunch of farkles.

To the op, back off the timing 10* on your motor to protect it from excessive heat for the time being and check your driveline carefully for binding bearings. Also compare your temp gun's results with someone else's.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Davidka
Nonsense. Stop perpetuating this myth. A good car with stock parts, in good working order is every bit as fast as one with a bunch of farkles.

To the op, back off the timing 10* on your motor to protect it from excessive heat for the time being and check your driveline carefully for binding bearings. Also compare your temp gun's results with someone else's.
A lighter car produces less load. No other way to look at it. If weight didn't have an effect on load, then there would be no weight rule. Sorry bro, basic physics. F=MA => A=F/m If you don't believe this, then feel free to tell Sir Isaac Newton he's wrong. He's not here to argue with you.

You can't just copy someone else's gearing, you have to figure out your own. You can not setup a car or gear a car over the internet, only give basic suggestions.

Weight is included in gearing, as is driving style, corner speed, ESC firmware, soldier joints, battery temp, Battery voltage, battery IR. If you're concerned about heat, but also want speed, a fan is a bandaid. However, you need to figure out your other issues as to why it's running so hot. Every time you temp over 185 degrees, that rotor gets a little weaker.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Duratrax small blue temp gun reads high until you change the "emmisivity %" to normal (100%?). Read the manual to change it, I don't remember how.

It'll be about 10-20 degrees higher than other temp guns until you change the setting.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rcjunky1
Sounds like to me that you're not a top level driver, and straight speed is more then just horsepower in stock class. If you're not running anything lightweight and not as good of a driver, you won't keep up to the others plain and simple. Lightweight parts reduce temps, and more skill is more corner speed which translates to more straight speed.
none of that had anything to do with my problem for one yes I just started and I also can keep up a majority of the stock class with the new motor and gearing but it comes off at 212 if I gear it to run about 170 the blow past me cause I have no top speed I wasn't asking how to be better im just asking why it stays in the 200 degree range with all the different gearing and same gearing as everybody else just wanted to know if I had a problem
Old 01-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Tech Rookie

A lighter car produces less load. No other way to look at it. If weight didn't have an effect on load, then there would be no weight rule. Sorry bro, basic physics. F=MA => A=F/m If you don't believe this, then feel free to tell Sir Isaac Newton he's wrong. He's not here to argue with you.

You can't just copy someone else's gearing, you have to figure out your own. You can not setup a car or gear a car over the internet, only give basic suggestions.

Weight is included in gearing, as is driving style, corner speed, ESC firmware, soldier joints, battery temp, Battery voltage, battery IR. If you're concerned about heat, but also want speed, a fan is a bandaid. However, you need to figure out your other issues as to why it's running so hot. Every time you temp over 185 degrees, that rotor gets a little weaker.
im not trying to copying one persons gearing really I asked almost every single person in stock and there all at 30 or 31 and I has 32 on my other motor and it was fine never got hot came off at 160 everytime but with this one came off at 212 all this whole post was about is asking if I possibly got a bad motor because ive tried 5 pinions and temp only changes bout 10 degree tops between then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.