Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How have you upgraded your DHK Hunter Brushed? >

How have you upgraded your DHK Hunter Brushed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How have you upgraded your DHK Hunter Brushed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default How have you upgraded your DHK Hunter Brushed?

100% New to the RC World, anywho just picked this 1/10 Brushed truck from hobby people. Not bad so far, took it out jumped it a bit. Run time is ridiculous. I got probably 15 minutes, if that on the full battery.

The truck's reverse/brake is extremely unresponsive, the servo is all wacky half the time.

I'm seeing what you seasoned RC enthusiasts have gone through to make this a decent truck. I bought the truck for 149.99, and I figure with another $150 I could have a decent brushless setup?

So again, I'm as noob as they come, just mechanically inclined, so Its not a completely different world. Thanks! Hope to hear some good reply's.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Here is a good servo that should work fine:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...-100ss/p253591

Or this one, which has about 40oz more torque but is .05 slower:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...k-100t/p228478

Then a great esc I use and many others I've seen with great success and that you can't beat for the money:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

And a motor I've seen many people use with no problems:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...approved_.html

All that for about $120-$150 after shipping and what not. And all of it is very realiable from my experience, about 3 years with protek and about 2 with x-car and trackstar.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had the brushless version. Honestly, I wouldn't put any money into upgrading it with their aluminum parts, not even the shocks. Just replace parts as you break them. You can go brushless, in which case I'd suggest a Hobbywing EZRun combo. You could replace the servo, but you're still limited to a narrow steering angle by its geometry.

The #1 thing you can do is replace the tires with something like Proline Trenchers or JConcepts Choppers. The stock tires are pretty awful for anything but concrete or asphalt. The only other thing I'd consider is cleaning the grease out of the front diff and filling it with 10k diff oil. I only recommend these things because you can reuse the tires and keep the rest of the bottle of diff oil for a future vehicle.

I wouldn't bother trying to fit any other aftermarket bodies to it, as the Hunter is slightly oversized but the body posts are really narrowly-spaced. It makes it such that you have to hack up the hood scoop on any popular short course bodies to fit the front body posts. Additionally, the rear mounts cannot get high enough, so you have to really cut away the rear wheel arches to keep it from rubbing the rear tires.

In my experience (and I say this as someone that dumped way too much money into one), the best thing the Hunter is for is getting you sucked into the hobby. Thrash it, have fun, but move onto something else before sinking too much into it. Especially if you're mechanically inclined, I'd highly recommend starting to plan and save up for a kit. A quality 2wd can be very affordable, and I actually have a lot more fun bashing with my 2wd than my 4wd. Something like a TLR 22sct 2.0 would be very durable. If you can wait until they announce the 22sct 3.0 (some time next year?), you'd be able to get the 2.0 at a heavy discount.

Have fun with the Hunter! Just don't sink too much into it unless you plan to pull the parts back out (such as the brushless kit) and reuse them in something nicer.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A few comments about a servo: definitely go with a metal gear one, and I'd favor higher torque instead of higher speed, especially for bashing a 4wd.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Does anyone have links of where I can buy something. My biggest issue now is the lack of play time. I definitely want to upgrade to Lipo Batteries, and buy a fast charger. Should I Buy 3s batteries? If so what size since I plan to upgrade the motor/esc/servo soon.

As of now I want longer battery life.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Callaway sell me your used parts? haha