Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New SCT410.3 build. Help, need parts to track rules. >

New SCT410.3 build. Help, need parts to track rules.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SCT410.3 build. Help, need parts to track rules.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New SCT410.3 build. Help, need parts to track rules.

I just ordered a new SCT410.3 kit with the Aluminum "A" block. I'm new to actual racing so I messaged the organizer for my track for rules so I can spec out the rest of the truck and order parts. They replied anything goes except it has to run 2S and have a SCT body. Another local track has the same rules but adds no buggy conversions. So I have lots of questions and goals.

Track is probably a medium size track. Has a hard pack base and currently (off season I suppose, I've never seen it prepped for racing yet) is really loose/dusty. I tried to post a pic but it won't let me (post count). It has several sets of jumps and a table top turn. I'm thinking it's got a 100'+ straight. On my slash basher I've ran proline calibers and seem happy with it in the dust.

I need to know what kind of components I should fill the truck with. I'm about 40 pages into the massive SCT410.3 post and still going. I'm learning a lot but was hoping to get more specific answers.

I'm open to spending what I need to, to get a good setup. If I'm doing poorly I don't want to second guess my parts, I'll know it's all me!

I need everything.
Servo
Motor
ESC
Battery (I've liked my SMC and SPC packs I've ran in my bashers but I don't have any hard case packs)
Body

Is there any motor that I can run back and forth 2S/3S or would I be giving up to much by compromising on 2S race day?

Would I be better off having 2 different motors for days I want to mess with 3S?

I'm also reading up on radio/receivers too. I just have two RTR radios up to this point.

If there is anything SCT410.3 specific I should know I'm all ears! Any other must have components I should add to my order? I've been having a blast with R/C these last few months so I'm all in!

Check back in I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Where can I get the aluminum screw kit?
Old 12-02-2015, 05:56 AM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Also, there is a lot of good info on the original SCT410 thread that will address your questions. Because the .3 is an update of the original, a lot of the info concerning electronics will be applicable to both trucks.
But for a servo, I would look for something that as 200oz or more. Futuba, HiTec and ProTek are popular. You may need a short servo lead extension depending on what servo you use. My Spektrum servos need an extension, but I don't think Futaba need one. Also, get an alloy servo horn. The stock ones strip easily. The Tekno horns work great.
SMC batteries are very good an popular so stick with them if you already have success with them. I would look at the 7200mah capacity. I have never hit LVC in a 10min main with one of those.
There are a lot of good bodies out there. Anything listed to fit a Losi SCTE will fit this truck. Proline, JConcepts, Snows Design are popular.
You will find a wide variety of opinions on an ESC and motor. I run a RX8 and Pro4HD 4300. That seems to be a popular combo. But many run Hobbywing with a variety of motors. This truck is heavy enough to need 1/8 scale electronics.
If you are going to run 3s sometimes, I would get two motors. Ones that are good on 2s may not be great on 3s and vice versa.
Hope this helps get you started.
It is a fun truck, you will have a blast with it.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Looks like today I can get a Hitec 7955TG for $60ish.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

that is the servo I used in my SCT410 when I had one, its in a variety of vehicles I have.

Some of the nice features are:

- It has a long lead wire so it can reach the Tekno receiver box without the need of an extension
- It is possible to run this on 7.4V (I called hitec about this and they said yes it can, confirm though yourself). I use it on that all the time, works great, very fast and tons of torque

As for electronics the Hobbywing 545 sized 3656SD Motor in the 4000kv configuration works excellent on 2S. I also know guys who like the Viper 4.5 motor on 2S but its a more traditional 540 sized 4 pole motor. Tekin stuff is good too no doubt.

As for escs, the vehicle layout seems designed with the Tekin RX8 in mind based on how well they fit with room to spare. There are other options too, but keep in mind to check others setups for fitment.

On the cheap, the Hobbywing SCT Pro esc is used a lot, bear in mind though it doesn't have the option to go higher voltage on the Bec from what I recall.

As for batteries, I'll personally give look at packs that are either already hard wired or use a 5mm bullet, but thats me. Promatch offers some great deals on VANT and there own line of lipos up to 8000mah in the 2S configuration with 1 year warranties. SMC packs also work great too.

The big thing to keep your batteries healthy is to have your cutoff voltage at say 3.4V per cell. based on how hard these vehicles can be on batteries, especially in 2S configuration, I would make sure and keep that in mind.