Wiki Posts
Search

When 3s for 4x4 SCT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommygun1
3s isn't going to bring sct racers back. You live in a fantasy land. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 2s. Yes I race when it's hot out. I race all over the northeast and never once have I heard anyone complain about 2s batteries. This is one of those "internet things". We all know these truck parachutes pretty bad but no one is trying to change the body rule.

I don't think anyone is saying there is something wrong with 2s. I think the point is that 4s is better. Also, the Northeast does get hot, but it's not the Southwest. I haven't seen a lot of people thermal but it does happen, and I have seen a lot people come off the track with super high temps.

And with regards to the body rules, people haven't necessarily been trying to change them, but they have pushed them and done whatever they can to get the most out of them while maintaining legality. Or not, if you remember when people were running wings/wickerbills.

Originally Posted by Tommygun1
Racers are there own worse enemy...
Can't argue that
Old 03-21-2016, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by platgof
I can tell you have never tried 3s, correct? Those who have tried it really like it a lot. It makes the car behave very differently, and pulls it with authority. Unless you try it you would not understand. It is not about speed, it is about a system that pulls the car smartly. I only wish you could run a couple of races with it, and see for yourself. It makes the car run very smoothly.
Behave differently? Will it do my dishes for me? I might have to try it in that case.

I understand what it does. I've been racing for a long time and also have planes that range from 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12s. I'd put the money towards a nitro buggy before buying a 3s and motor personally.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
I don't think anyone is saying there is something wrong with 2s.
Sure they are, that's the whole point of this thread..
Old 03-22-2016, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Dave H is right, I need to start focusing on ROAR leaders and see what happens. I did try earlier , and I know others have sent in letters. Sometimes you need to beat a dead horse to improve the quality of the leather!
You're wasting your time!

Well, maybe we could share some peoples contact info, so we could all get onboard again and send out letters and make calls. I really believe we have Tekins support, so if we could get others on board! When you buy something, let them know we want 3s for 4x4 sct. People say the class has not gone down, wrong, as this use to be the Class! If 3s is allowed, this class will grow again, and I want an alternative to 4s buggy.
"The" SCT class, maybe. "THE" class overall, not even close.

You make a very good argument for 3s in 4x4 SCT. I would even go so far as to say that I agree with you in saying the class should run 3s with an appropriate motor to equal the speeds of the current 2s rules.

BUT, when you start talking about ROAR. Do you even realize what it would take to make this type of rules change? Like ROAR or not they don't simply wake up and say "OK, 6 guys on the forums said we should change the rules, so here they are". It's just not that simple.

You love the class, and that's great. But you need to look at the big picture if you think ROAR is going to do anything, OR IF THEY EVEN CARE.

World level, the class doesn't even exist.
National level (ROAR Nats) a couple guys like the class, the rest run it because they get paid to.
Regional/"big race" level, it's almost DEAD. Cactus Classic had 8, yes 8! entries in 4x4SCT..that's dead.
Local level, that's hit or miss depending on your area and the type of track.

4x4 SCT has died at many tracks, not because of 2s but for other reasons. The 2wd SCT crowd thinking 4x4 SCT would be fun even though they can't drive likely being #1

Narrow it down even further, you run on a track big enough to run Ebuggy on, if your track wasn't that big you wouldn't be pushing for 3s. When you look big picture, the number of people who NEED what you're asking for, is REALLY small.

Focus on getting your LOCAL track to allow your 3s combination and trying to grow the class where YOU race and enjoy it.

After 25+ years. IMO the class had it's shot and people moved on. 2s, 3s, 4s, doesn't matter. The class was a fad, had it's 15 minutes of fame on the big screen and now only the diehards are keeping it alive, just like Stadium truck.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I would want to run 3s too if my truck weighed almost 8 pounds.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rcgod
I would want to run 3s too if my truck weighed almost 8 pounds.
Anybody know the weight of a "race ready" Tekno or TLR 4x4 SCT?
Old 03-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racer1812
I've gotten mine down to 5.8 lbs rtr with a 2s shorty pack and a big uncut Proline 1966 Ford body. So add another 4 ounces or so for a full size pack but maybe take off 1 ounce for a race body. So just over 6 lbs. I did shave some plastic and I run aluminum screws/nuts in non stress areas. Add that stuff back in and I'm still under 7 lbs, maybe 6.5.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

My tekno weighed 6.7 stock rtr. My previous losi weighed 6.3
I had a v1 tekno down to 6.3 and losi down to 6.0 all with full size packs.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I agree that 4x4 sct is in big trouble, and ROAR should have the ability to help save the class. I really believe 3s could give it a big spark that it desperately needs. I just wish I could let everyone try a 3s system in these cars. It is so much fun to drive, and plenty of power. You have no idea how under powered these are(2s) till you try a 3s system in one, and if 4s is the way to go, so be it, but 3s is plenty, and I plan to prove it in 8th buggy soon, stay tuned!
Old 03-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Tech Adept

proving 3s is good for an e buggy is opposite of what you are trying to do for sct class. Then people can say go 2s with lighter truck.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

He will find out when is time to run ebuggy on a 550 motor on a 10 minute main against cars running true 1/8 motor on 4s... definetly not keeping up. I do want to see that.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:54 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

... 4x4 SCT has died at many tracks, not because of 2s but for other reasons. The 2wd SCT crowd thinking 4x4 SCT would be fun even though they can't drive likely being #1

the biggest problem I see relative to that is that they class by default is overpowered being default mod for those drivers you mentioned. Kind of reminds me of 1/10 4wd buggy being default mod and guys trying the vehicles coming from a touring car background (so the 4wd argument is moot, actually easier to drive) having warchests of broken parts as mentally they feel they need that similar speed to even complete. The whole movement to an approachable spec class to me at least looks like a great idea even with issues can be seen in stay 17.5 stock 2wd buggy. I think regardless of voltage used, a spec class could really help. Vehicles by default would be ultra durable, easy to drive as they are 4wd, and could offer some close racing action.

Originally Posted by JRSlash
He will find out when is time to run ebuggy on a 550 motor on a 10 minute main against cars running true 1/8 motor on 4s... definetly not keeping up. I do want to see that.
It will be interesting for sure. I think though depending on track conditions and driver skill, he could have an advantage if its very loose. Less power can make it easier to get around the track for sure. I am looking forward to the vids though
Old 03-23-2016, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

4x4 SCT has died at many tracks, not because of 2s but for other reasons. The 2wd SCT crowd thinking 4x4 SCT would be fun even though they can't drive likely being #1
I went to watch a medium size regional race a few weeks ago (+100 entrys). I think the 4x4 SCT class had 18 entries. Watching them drive was worse than watching the novice class; the marshals stayed busy... LOL At least the novice kids try to not run into each other - the SCT's were hacking every chance they got.

This was the only 1/10 scale class, the rest of the event was 1/8. Talking to drivers, it sounds like most use it was a 2nd class for extra track time and entertainment. Several referred to it as the "bumper car class"...
Old 03-23-2016, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

here in this area 4wd sct is one of the biggest classes on a lot of tracks, look at rcsignups, PNB has 47 and our local track, SLR has 27 signed for our big race not counting AMS 7.0 which always brings 40 or 50+ and The Wicked Weekend which last year i think it had down to D or E main putting 15+2bumps per heat. i know that in the big 1/8 races around here they always include 4wd sct and always do good, 30+ entries. Ill say, in this part of the good USA 4wd sct is well and alive. Should it change to 3s? I think is fine the way it is. IMO.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am not planning on running it outdoors as of now, just indoors. Losi with 3s system, 7.2 lbs. and Desc10 2s 7.52 lbs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.