Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
No name eBay brushless motor? >

No name eBay brushless motor?

No name eBay brushless motor?

Old 11-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default No name eBay brushless motor?

I'm in need of a brushless motor/each pair for my SCT project. I'm in the process of restoring and modifying a Losi SCTE. I need a motor, I'm not planning to seriously compete. I may enter a race once or twice but mostly this RC will sit on a shelf and be taken out for an occasional uprise around the yard or park.

I was thinking of getting the Castle SCT combo (the one around $100) but it only supports 2s & 3s. I have a 4s pack I'd like to use occasionally. So this leaves the more expensive Mamba Max SCT combo for about $175.

I thought about picking up a Reedy 1/8th scale brushless motor from a Rival or their 550 SCT motor. But with the ESC it's up around $140 anyway.

So then I stumbled on these dirt cheap no name brand motor/ESC combos on eBay from China. They are about $50-$60 for the combo. It's kind of hard to pass up if these work somewhat decently.
And while I do understand that part of what you pay is for branding, label, support such as the case with the known brands. Is it worth it for my application?

Has anyone had experience with these? What's the general consensus?
Any recommendations for or against this no name brand? Any other suggestions?

Here is an example of what I am looking at: http://m.ebay.com/itm/3660-2600KV-4P...421?nav=SEARCH

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

It's a bold move cotton, lets see if this pays off.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Socket View Post
It's a bold move cotton, lets see if this pays off.

Huh?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

It sounds like the motor will fit your needs just fine. Most unbranded/generic motors are pretty good. In some cases, they come for the same factories that make the high end brands.

The ESC is another story. I'm sure you understand that you get what you pay for, and aren't expecting premium features and perfection as far as performance. If the ESC works, you have already got what you paid for.

The quality control is the horrendous aspect. If you get a dud, it's a real buzz kill. If you get one that works and does what it says, you are golden.

So overall, the functionality is what you are looking for.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE View Post
It sounds like the motor will fit your needs just fine. Most unbranded/generic motors are pretty good. In some cases, they come for the same factories that make the high end brands.

The ESC is another story. I'm sure you understand that you get what you pay for, and aren't expecting premium features and perfection as far as performance. If the ESC works, you have already got what you paid for.

The quality control is the horrendous aspect. If you get a dud, it's a real buzz kill. If you get one that works and does what it says, you are golden.

So overall, the functionality is what you are looking for.
Thanks for the tip! So basically, if find a dealer that's willing to stand by their sale and offer refund should I recover a dud then I'll be ok?
I can't imagine these things being all that bad? After all, we all know the when it comes to racing it's the driver, and when it comes to bashing it don't matter, and when it comes to shelf status, well, the motor is blue. It looks cool. 😏

I may just give this a shot after all.
I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has thoughts or experience with these motors/ESC's.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The esc is a copy of a hobbywing v2.1 and uses the same firmware as HW. I'm running one in my d413 and it works as well as my real HW. I paid $20 shipped from socal for it. I figured if it didn't work I'm not out much but it works great. So far.

Last edited by rcgod; 11-14-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by longdoggy View Post
Huh?
Attached Thumbnails No name eBay brushless motor?-bold-move.png  
Old 11-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Local guy uses a no brand motor the same as the one you linked. It has held up so far and has plenty of power. I'd give it a shot.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Good to know. So the ESac concerns me.

I have a coupon at Tower Hobby and I can get their SCT ESC and 3800 motor combo for $88 bucks.
That seems like a good deal.

The other option is one of those new-castle eBay motors from China. They have the 1:8th scale motor with the hobby wing ESC for $100.

What do we think of these options?
Old 11-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well I got my motor and ESC. Pretty solid deal on a used unit from an Associated RC8.2e. I really wanted to put in a bigger 1/8th scale motor and I got one. I have this Reedy motor in another car of mine and I've been pleased. This thing should provide ample torque!