Wiki Posts
Search

2015 IFMAR World Championships in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beyondthepack
Let me start off by saying congratulations to all the winners, job well done. Now my little beef that I have, and I'm sure some will share this with me. The track has been talked about to death on various forums about the "non-offroad" style it was presented, and this is no disrespect to Japan, they did a fantastic job putting the event together. Coming from a on-road enthusiast as well as a off road racer (and by off road i mean loose dirt) Is it just coincidence that the 2 top positions in 4WD finishing were TC racers. IMO the IFMAR 4WD has a striking resemblance to a on-road race, and here in lie's the true meaning of off-road dirt racing. You couldn't take a BD7 or a TC6 on a dirt track, but I don't think it would be far off to take one on this years IFMAR stage. I know it's not ozite and the there is jumps, but in my humble opinion I would really like to see a traditional dirt track put together for the next worlds.
The mega traction tracks of the last two worlds have been kind of a letdown. I personally thought it was cool that turf was being used this year but a surface that slows down the cars a bit more makes for more exciting racing.

Go watch the 2011 Worlds from Vaasa

http://youtu.be/1PMclCv_8Jc

http://youtu.be/fn02DjC0gok
Old 10-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tomdav
The mega traction tracks of the last two worlds have been kind of a letdown. I personally thought it was cool that turf was being used this year but a surface that slows down the cars a bit more makes for more exciting racing.

Go watch the 2011 Worlds from Vaasa

http://youtu.be/1PMclCv_8Jc

http://youtu.be/fn02DjC0gok
True that, the last 2 worlds have not been very good in the true meaning of offroad. The worlds should never be held on an artificial surface like this again. Do we start to have a separation between surfaces? Turf worlds and dirt worlds? For the vast majority of racing offroad the surface is dirt and the worlds should be held on as such. This year worlds just sucked for real side by side racing.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
True that, the last 2 worlds have not been very good in the true meaning of offroad. The worlds should never be held on an artificial surface like this again. Do we start to have a separation between surfaces? Turf worlds and dirt worlds? For the vast majority of racing offroad the surface is dirt and the worlds should be held on as such. This year worlds just sucked for real side by side racing.
Its not that it's artificial but the level of traction. I enjoy racing off-road indoor carpet but if they could mimic the traction of Vaasa with some descent elevation changes.....

Live Rc coverage was awesome. Getting to watch an international race on my TV in HD, thanks Pro-line and AE.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by juicy74
Was there an exchange between Maifield and a japanese driver at the end of A1?? Maifield looked pissed. He walked up the the driver, and you could read Maifield's lips and he said "HEY!!!"... Then the view was blocked but you could see what appears to be Maifield pointing his finger in the dude's face
I noticed that. he poked him in the shoulder before pointing in his face.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

rather aggressive and inappropriate.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Tech Rookie

He's my view there's nothing wrong with racing on Astro turf the problem is they laid it down on a completely flat concrete floor it was actually a touring car track with a couple of wood ramps the same as the EOS.
Over here in the Uk our Astro turf tracks the Astro turf is layed down on top of grass fields so you still get the off-road feel as its never completely flat it follows the bumps and contours of the field its layed down on.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beyondthepack
Let me start off by saying congratulations to all the winners, job well done. Now my little beef that I have, and I'm sure some will share this with me. The track has been talked about to death on various forums about the "non-offroad" style it was presented, and this is no disrespect to Japan, they did a fantastic job putting the event together. Coming from a on-road enthusiast as well as a off road racer (and by off road i mean loose dirt) Is it just coincidence that the 2 top positions in 4WD finishing were TC racers. IMO the IFMAR 4WD has a striking resemblance to a on-road race, and here in lie's the true meaning of off-road dirt racing. You couldn't take a BD7 or a TC6 on a dirt track, but I don't think it would be far off to take one on this years IFMAR stage. I know it's not ozite and the there is jumps, but in my humble opinion I would really like to see a traditional dirt track put together for the next worlds.
I don't care what surface the events are held on, racing is racing, IMHO.

I want to see this added to the next world's layout:

Old 10-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Badobsess1on
He's my view there's nothing wrong with racing on Astro turf the problem is they laid it down on a completely flat concrete floor it was actually a touring car track with a couple of wood ramps the same as the EOS.
Over here in the Uk our Astro turf tracks the Astro turf is layed down on top of grass fields so you still get the off-road feel as its never completely flat it follows the bumps and contours of the field its layed down on.
Here's a good example of what a proper UK astro track can be...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX6lx7d44tg
Old 10-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vikingen
I noticed that. he poked him in the shoulder before pointing in his face.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

rather aggressive and inappropriate.
Meh...Maifield was just asking him if he would like to grab some lunch after they marshal...no big deal.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
Meh...Maifield was just asking him if he would like to grab some lunch after they marshal...no big deal.
That's gold!!!
Old 10-11-2015, 12:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
Haha... Yeah, by the looks of it, Maifield was gonna buy him a knuckle sandwich.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
For the vast majority of racing offroad the surface is dirt and the worlds should be held on as such. This year worlds just sucked for real side by side racing.

Not if you live in the UK!!

I think it needs to be looked at on a world wide scale to see which countries race on what in their national series.

There is no reason why the surface can't be varied in line with the host country in my opinion, and as the majority of top level races will race in more than one worlds it gives the added benefit to see which drivers can adapt to the different surfaces best.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It's the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS! People need to stop being ignorant and accept the fact that the whole world does not race on dirt tracks! People around the world adapt and overcome to their specific situations, rather than complain because they want to race. Most people who are complaining did not even attend this race. It's good to have an opinion, but let go already. The staff at Yatabe arena did an outstanding job and the track was challenging and made for some great racing!

Patrick
Old 10-11-2015, 03:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

last two posts are spot on.

for some countries, the idea of a dirt track is a pipe dream. good luck running a dirt track in Iceland for example.

It's good that the track can represent the most common surface of the home country or the one they think will give them the most advantage.

It's also good that we have a podium (in 4wd at least) not from "traditional" off road backgrounds with English as a second language.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
The best part of the worlds will be listening to all of the "it's not real offroad" whining.
Called it
Old 10-11-2015, 05:49 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah, having an indoor astro/carpet track at my place is not only a pipe dream but a wet dream...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.