Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Slash 4x4 vs axial exo terra (which one to keep) >

Slash 4x4 vs axial exo terra (which one to keep)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slash 4x4 vs axial exo terra (which one to keep)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Slash 4x4 vs axial exo terra (which one to keep)

So just getting back into the hobby I really wanted a slash. Found a great deal on a slash 4x4 plus an axial exo.

The slash was fully functional, the axial had a broken steering knuckle and carrier.

I figured i would fix the axial and sell it to recoup some money and buy upgrade parts for the slash..... until.....

I took the axial for a test drive after i fixed it up. It seems just as fast as the slash but with the bigger tires and buggy like design just seems more fun to bash with.

The slash 4x4 has the old 2 pole motor/esc and even after gearing it down to 13t it's still having heat issues. but it does have a lot of RPM parts.

the axial keeps throwing the front dog bones.

So both cars will still need work for me to be satisfied. I just don't know which one to keep!

I will be mainly bashing around my apartment complex, parking lot and parks

I got both vehicles rtr with a traxxas ez peak charger and a duratrax 3s 5000mah lipo for $300
Old 09-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

To each their own with those two vehicles. But if it was me I would keep the slash and get it in good shape with a 4pole motor and replace anything that needs replacing.

Slash advantages in my opinion

better parts support
understanding it is much easier to work on *
understanding it is more durable *

* I have had Traxxas, but not a slash 4x4, and I have had Axial, but only a Yeti.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:55 AM
Tech Elite

An opinion...

If you got enough money in the long run for those RC's keep them both!

Traxxas is like McDonalds... do you like it? Everyone into RC have or had one.
Part's avaiability at every corner is the best part!

Exo Terra from Axial is a real pain to work on, worst part is to remove the body to get into the chassis. But it's a very good rc for bashing. It's chassis is very good...but when maintenance comes you need to be prepared for an ultimate challenge, but after that the EXO is an wonderfull piece of rc! No Doubt!

Whatever you do... either one is good
Originally Posted by steveo9043
So just getting back into the hobby I really wanted a slash. Found a great deal on a slash 4x4 plus an axial exo.

The slash was fully functional, the axial had a broken steering knuckle and carrier.

I figured i would fix the axial and sell it to recoup some money and buy upgrade parts for the slash..... until.....

I took the axial for a test drive after i fixed it up. It seems just as fast as the slash but with the bigger tires and buggy like design just seems more fun to bash with.

The slash 4x4 has the old 2 pole motor/esc and even after gearing it down to 13t it's still having heat issues. but it does have a lot of RPM parts.

the axial keeps throwing the front dog bones.

So both cars will still need work for me to be satisfied. I just don't know which one to keep!

I will be mainly bashing around my apartment complex, parking lot and parks

I got both vehicles rtr with a traxxas ez peak charger and a duratrax 3s 5000mah lipo for $300
Old 09-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I've been contemplating the same thing. I've had my Exo (kit version) for several years, and it's been problem free. I've run it around my primary residence on paved surfaces, dirt, grass, bark dust, at the beach, and out in the high desert - it's been a blast. It does require more attention when it comes to cleaning, but it's built a bit beefier than the Slash 4x4. I'm running a Mamba Max Pro and 4 Pole motor, so it's plenty fast, even on 2S. I installed aluminum shock bodies and the Axial CV axles right out of the gate, so I've managed to avoid some of the problems I've heard others complain about. Battery access, especially if you're running the interior, is terrible, particularly when you're trying to swap batteries with freezing fingers in the winter. There's a little mod that can be done to the cage to make things easier, but it's still far from perfect. Having to remove the cage to work on the chassis is just the cost of doing business with a more scale, functional rig. The Exo just feels more "special" to me, and I enjoy running it a bit more than the Slash. Parts are still relatively easy to find for the Exo, but obviously nothing near Traxxas' support of the Slash platform.
I bought a Slash Platinum recently (actually my second time owning one) to try and start up a "Spec Pro4" class at our local dirt tracks, but things fizzled out before they got started. I still plan to run in the normal Pro4 class after working on setup and swapping out the stock tires in favor of some race rubber. With these changes and a bit of driving skill, I'm sure the LCG Slash 4x4 could hold it's own at the local level. Plenty of power, tons of tunability... Though I'd have preferred to run a class of Slash 4x4's only. As for being a basher - it's excellent! Again, speed on 2S is more than enough for most people, it's very durable (though I'd argue it's less so than the Exo), easy to work on, and parts are EVERYWHERE.
The problem I have is that the redundancy of owning both, especially when I'm in the market for a new 4 wheel race buggy, has made me question why I'd hang on to both. I don't really bash that much. The Slash could be used to bash AND race, even though I rarely bash cars I've dialed in for the track. But the Exo is just a far cooler rig... I'm still struggling with the decision.