1ST TIME NITRO USER, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1ST TIME NITRO USER, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy 1ST TIME NITRO USER, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

I have just bought a Acme Nitro conquistador off road truck, it says i need to oil the air filters, can anyone tell me what kind of oil to use?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Don't just use any old engine oil, go to your local hobby store & ask for air filter oil.

Or...click http://rcvehicles.about.com/od/rceng...cnitroaf03.htm for a little more info on were to get it & how to apply it. While your at the hobby store, grab yourself some after run oil too.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

If there isn't a local hobby store near you, try a motorcycle shop. They sell stuff called foam filter treatment. They also sell the cleaner. It works really good as well. PJ1 makes it.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Tech Addict

I actully perfer the stuff from the motorcycle shops, PJ1, Bell Ray and Maxama. It comes in a spray can and is very easy to use and very effective!
Old 10-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Also auto parts stores sell air filter oil and cleaner for K&N washable filters.....It comes in a can about 4 times the size for about the same money...Jim
Old 10-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Also auto parts stores sell air filter oil and cleaner for K&N washable filters.....It comes in a can about 4 times the size for about the same money...Jim
Yep, that's what I'm using. My car has a K&N air filter so I already had the oil element available. Quite convienent I must say.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Suspended

Location: please try not to look at my avatar to long may cause u know what

i also got the k&n filter for my 1\8 buggy look great and works great and uses k&n filer oil
Old 10-23-2005, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Is that K&N filter a foam or a paper filter?
Old 10-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

The K&N filter is made of foam.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Suspended

Location: please try not to look at my avatar to long may cause u know what

no it aint its a proper k&n paper/mesh filter and it says k&n engraved on a chrome top
Old 10-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Tech Addict

Years ago I use to use the paper/gause (SP) ones on my race bikes. The reason I asked is someone posted that the K&N filter oil was good to use on our filters. This is not the case if you are using foam filters. The oil for the paper filters is much to thin for our foam filters and not near tacky enough. Now it K&N does make filter oil for foam filters I'm sure that would be good as well.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

does wrong filter oil can kill the engine.. and is it a must to put oil on air filter before playing buggy..
Old 10-24-2005, 06:11 AM
Tech Addict

Drit is the #1 killer of our little engines. The wrong oil can defently shorten the life of a engine. Yes it is a must that you oil your filter. I run a two stage filter system and oil both filters. I might even change pre filter after a dusty run.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

The filters K&N sells are made from layers of woven cotton, not paper. Their oil is compatible with alot of filter types, but paper filters should not be oiled, since oil can break down the material in paper filters.
You can however do as I do and use K&N filter oil on the prefilter that is around the paper filter.

The hard part is being able to see if you have a good quality foam or paper filter, since there are dozens and dozens of grades of foam, paper, cotton gauze, etc. There are also dozens of types of filter oil that are compatible.

The key is using a thicker, stickier filter oil with the lower grade filter materials and a thinner oil can be used with higher quality materials.

Just remember, the less you filter the air, the more power, which is how a K&N filter works, since the better the air is filtered, the more restriction there is. In fact in the K&N instructions it says not to clean the filter too often, since a slightly dirty filter cleans the air better........., Jim
Old 10-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

"Just remember, the less you filter the air, the more power, which is how a K&N filter works, since the better the air is filtered, the more restriction there is. In fact in the K&N instructions it says not to clean the filter too often, since a slightly dirty filter cleans the air better........., Jim"

Jim I have read that statment over & over and IMO it is a very missleading statment for a new nitro user which Nipper stated he was. I IMO it is better to over oil than under oil or filter the air less. I don't care how good your air filter is if air gets past so will some amount of dirt. The less dirt you have enter your engine the longer it will last. Ya you might lose a little bit of power but these .21 are so over powered anyway I don't think it matters much. Not trying to start a pis.... match just putting in my 2 cents. and didn't want Nipper to get the wrong idea!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.