Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree84Likes

Team Associated SC5M Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slow1000rider03
Using the jconcepts one on mine. Very nicely done.
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered one
Old 09-06-2015, 09:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLKXJ96
Ran my Sc5m for the first time this weekend, the grey front springs made a huge difference, along with an oil change to the shocks. Still tends to step out a little in the corners on exit. I almost want to try a blue spring up front. other than that, this truck rips!!
I don't see an SC5m blue spring. Just green, white and grey.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by islandscott
I don't see an SC5m blue spring. Just green, white and grey.
part# 91330
Old 09-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AntiM
part# 91330
That's the old front spring and they don't follow the same ratings. They are wound totally different.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

As far as I can tell they are only going to have 3 different spring rates available for now. When I go to order them there's only soft/stock/firm. The rates they list for the soft and firm are 3.75/4.45lb and 2.2/2.6lb. Like I've said before, I'm 100% convinced that they are the same the Kyosho SC6/RT6 springs. The clear X rings are identical to Kyosho's as well.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Just built my sons shocks. Can't wait to see his truck in action.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by aeRayls
That's the old front spring and they don't follow the same ratings. They are wound totally different.
My bad, I had the Associated page up and posted without a clue. So the "new" springs are 91635-91641?

I'm trying to read and learn without asking a lot of dumb questions, but sometimes I hit a snag. I'm assuming for a high bite, slicks running, indoor track like SRS or Warehouse 3 (for Phoenix locals) my options are stick with the stock whites or try out the grays or grays up front only? Cavalieri's set-up sheet just listed AE white truck for springs at SRS. Thanks.

One other question. Should a newbie even be looking at Cavalieri's set-up or stick with stock until he can run around the track without hitting something?
Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Disclaimer: this is only my opinion!!
The top drivers show up at big events with a mod buggy, a wheeler, possibly a stadium truck, and a short course truck. They have limited track time and have to prioritize their tuning time to 3 possibly 4 platforms. From what I have heard, 2wd short course is almost always last on the list. I personally would stick with the kit setup but change the front oil to at least 35 wt along with a stiffer spring. If you have a sweeper on your track, you might also want to consider adding a sway bar to the front as well (see Ray Munday's thread and posts). I have also shortened the wheelbase up all the way for the tracks I run on (medium/high grip outdoor). Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

just Ordered my SC5M. Where do I get a chassis skin from?
Old 09-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by bds81175
Disclaimer: this is only my opinion!!
The top drivers show up at big events with a mod buggy, a wheeler, possibly a stadium truck, and a short course truck. They have limited track time and have to prioritize their tuning time to 3 possibly 4 platforms. From what I have heard, 2wd short course is almost always last on the list. I personally would stick with the kit setup but change the front oil to at least 35 wt along with a stiffer spring. If you have a sweeper on your track, you might also want to consider adding a sway bar to the front as well (see Ray Munday's thread and posts). I have also shortened the wheelbase up all the way for the tracks I run on (medium/high grip outdoor). Hope this helps.

Hey, at this point any info is helpful, thanks for taking the time. The more I can learn before I actually get it on the track the better. I'll add the heavier fronts to my (ever growing) shopping list. My main concern with following a pro's set-up was getting a truck that was fast, but hard for a rookie to learn on. Couple of more paychecks and I'll start quizzing the guys at the local tracks for specifics.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Got to turn some laps last week at OCRC. Gear diff with 10k, white front/green rear springs with 35/32.5 oils. Very stable, but lots of push, and it nose dived a bit off jumps if you didn't keep some throttle on. Overall, it was good, but I've decided to go 3 gear and not mess with the 4. 3 Gear coming soon...
I will also be dropping the 10k down, I'm sure it was a bit thick..
Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Although I modified the heck out of my truck at the point in build, the one thing that I don't have and have never heard of is push with the SC5M. I bet the 10k is way too much. Go to 3 or 5k and stock springs. That's hard to believe. clearly something is not right. There's so much traction at OCRC there's no way you should any push....are you on the right tires?
Old 09-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

OCRC, My first practice was Thursday, my first race was Sunday. Qualified 6th in Rookie and finished 7th. I ran pretty much stock set up, with the 17.5 motor. I was getting annoyed that everyone was smoking me on the straight. After checking the manual, I am embarrassed to say I blew the gearing, I installed 27t pinion with a 84t spur, I was supposed to go with the 78t spur. Just a little under geared, I am such a new; P
Overall the car was easy and fun to drive, I had blast and my lap times have been slowly dropping.

I have to go back soon, It just has to feel so much better with the 78t spur; )
Old 09-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
Although I modified the heck out of my truck at the point in build, the one thing that I don't have and have never heard of is push with the SC5M. I bet the 10k is way too much. Go to 3 or 5k and stock springs. That's hard to believe. clearly something is not right. There's so much traction at OCRC there's no way you should any push....are you on the right tires?
I'm pretty sure the 10k is way too thick as well, but with all the hype of the 3 gear, im just gonna do it and then make changes from there. I have a second gear diff that will be getting 5k when the 3Gear goes in (ordered parts yesterday). Tires were good.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maddysdaddy
I'm pretty sure the 10k is way too thick as well, but with all the hype of the 3 gear, im just gonna do it and then make changes from there. I have a second gear diff that will be getting 5k when the 3Gear goes in (ordered parts yesterday). Tires were good.
Every time I've added a gear diff it has caused the vehicle to push a little more. I prefer a ball diff but that's just me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.