Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree84Likes

Team Associated SC5M Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:19 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
But would the 3 gear be needed for a 10.5? I have zero desire for 17.5 short bus.
I'm running a Muchmore Fleta 7.0 in my T5M on astroturf and I like the 3-gear transmission. It makes the truck jump flatter and reduces weight transfer under power. I only need to get used to it and stop hitting the brakes in mid-air.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I ran the truck at our local Wednesday night race lat night and ran into some problems...Had to exit the first qualifier because of an electronics issue...got that sorted and went into the second qualifier.

About 2/3 of the way into the race, my right front wheel came off. At first I just thought I hadent snugged up the wheel nut but when I got the truck after the race I looked at the wheel and the axel, inserts and bearing were all still attached to the wheel! The actual steering block had cracked allowing the inserts to pull out.

OK I thought, maybe it was a fluke, replaced it with the "hard" version...

Ran the A main, finished (and won!)

After the mains I was running a few laps, practicing and letting some other guys drive it...i took a jump a little off and the same wheel went flying off. The brand new hard hub shattered.

Not sure whats going on here, our track IS pretty hard on vehicles if you get landings wrong.

I thin my next step is going to get another set of the standard "soft" steering blocks and glueing the inserts in. I'm hoping that that will help to reinforce the part as a whole....

Also, after only 6 total runs, the screws holding the front bumper to the oval shaped brace completely pulled out, obviously from several hard impacts.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Meh, hopefully it holds up to my 9 year this weekend for her first series race. I have spare front hubs, but i would like her to be able to finish....
Old 08-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Yeak, the JC +3 wheels work. I am using the AVID +3 wheels
Any chance those are similar to a slash 4x4 off set? I have a new set of bar codes mounted on them for my other truck and was wondering if I can use them for this truck also? Hoping to order my kit soon and just trying to make a list of things I need. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

"After the mains I was running a few laps, practicing and letting some other guys drive it...i took a jump a little off and the same wheel went flying off. The brand new hard hub shattered."

I'm not saying that maybe I've rushed and done something like this before but are you sure you have the inserts installed the right way? I may have seen something like that happen to a "friend" recently on a buggy that wasn't mine. What you are describing sounds exactly like what typically happens when you put the trailing insert things in facing the wrong way.

Last edited by QDRHRSE; 08-13-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
"After the mains I was running a few laps, practicing and letting some other guys drive it...i took a jump a little off and the same wheel went flying off. The brand new hard hub shattered."

I'm not saying that maybe I've rushed and done something like this before but are you sure you have the inserts installed the right way? I may have seen something like that happen to a "friend" recently on a buggy that wasn't mine. What you are describing sounds exactly like what typically happens when you put the trailing insert things in facing the wrong way.
I'm sure had them in the correct way, I double checked because I was using 4mm trailing and I made sure I could see the printing facing out when I installed them, I also have a B5m and T5m so I'm very familiar with their hub design.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dstreelm
I'm sure had them in the correct way, I double checked because I was using 4mm trailing and I made sure I could see the printing facing out when I installed them, I also have a B5m and T5m so I'm very familiar with their hub design.
One thing is for sure...

I've been running the "5M" platform in all it's iterations since released. I've found the kits to be pretty durable.

Those must have been some EPIC crashes to do that kind of damage.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Me, I mean my buddy, too but when your rushing your rushing. There's a 4 on both sides. Between me and my pal we have like 10 B5 series cars....stuff happens. Its ok to make mistakes. All I know is just this last Wednesday I saw the exact same thing and I know what me, myself, and I did to cause it.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by celt
One thing is for sure...

I've been running the "5M" platform in all it's iterations since released. I've found the kits to be pretty durable.

Those must have been some EPIC crashes to do that kind of damage.
There were a few hard landings, but nothing so extreme that I would have expected to break this part so quickly

I also have a lot of experience with the 5m platform as well and have never broken this part. But the thing is as the kits have gotten larger from buggy to stadium truck to short course, parts that are durable enough for a buggy may not be adequate on a larger platform...

For example, there were several of us who got our T5m kits on day one and at least 2 or 3 of us broke the plastic steering rack within the first couple weeks of running it. Stadium truck wheels are bigger and heavier than buggy fronts and put more force on the steering rack part. Now I've upgraded to the aluminum rack and haven't had any problems since.

Its something to keep an eye on, Ill be interested to see how the rest of you guys fare after a couple weeks. I certainly hope its just a fluke.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There were a few hard landings, but nothing so extreme that I would have expected to break this part so quickly

I also have a lot of experience with the 5m platform as well and have never broken this part. But the thing is as the kits have gotten larger from buggy to stadium truck to short course, parts that are durable enough for a buggy may not be adequate on a larger platform...

For example, there were several of us who got our T5m kits on day one and at least 2 or 3 of us broke the plastic steering rack within the first couple weeks of running it. Stadium truck wheels are bigger and heavier than buggy fronts and put more force on the steering rack part. Now I've upgraded to the aluminum rack and haven't had any problems since.

Its something to keep an eye on, Ill be interested to see how the rest of you guys fare after a couple weeks. I certainly hope its just a fluke.
Well, that would make sense...an SC wheel is mammoth in comparison to a buggy front wheel.

Thanks for the heads-up. I would guess Cav doesn't crash that much.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Tech Champion

I actually put a JC rack on my T5M and my SC5M because that's the only part, other than an arm, that I've broken on the ST. It has been tough as nails! I've lawn darted it, cartwheeled, smacked the wall at full speed, clipped a lot of pipe.....etc etc. The SC5M should be just as durable. Way better than the SC10 was!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Tech Addict

Those hard front hubs are very brittle, they're nice because they seem to keep the bearings from going bad so quickly with a better fit. However I've gone through several sets on my B5m and even sheared off the inner face of couple of the inserts. Stick with the standard ones especially with the trucks and glue them in, i need to do the same.

If there's one thing I wish schelle, avid or exotek would make is a better front hub setup for the 5 series cars. The imperfect fit of the inserts and axle cause the quick bearing wear.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

So the list of extra parts to keep is, front hubs, maybe aluminum steering rack, what else would be good to keep in a starter box as I go from losi to associated
Old 08-13-2015, 04:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxturd
So the list of extra parts to keep is, front hubs, maybe aluminum steering rack, what else would be good to keep in a starter box as I go from losi to associated
front and rear arms.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Maybe an option: Hot Racing Aluminum Steering Blocks - Part: BFR2101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.