Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie looking for direction / ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie looking for direction / ideas

Another newbie, I've been searching online and watching a lot of videos, trying to get up to speed and figure out what options I'm wanting to pursue as relative newbie to the RC buggy world.

When I was younger my older brother had a Tamiya Hotshot and I have always wanted to build one up and have a bash. Recently I spied the re-released Supershot and nearly hit the purchase button on a couple of occasions, but have had my reservations...mainly due to all the new gear that is available. At this point I'm thinking if I do grab one of these I will be inline for buying some upgrades not long after...that or a second car, I want to get hooked to this hobby adn this could be a good first stepping stone.

I'm hoping someone can remedy some concerns or possibly point me in the right direction to avoid any catastrophe.
I currently have my eyes on the Super Hotshot 2012 4WD, but have also been looking at newer tamiya buggy kits namely the the Durga, Baldre and Leonis(I've also been looking at some OFNA kit's but I think that might be a better second purchase). I haven't really come to have any preference with any of the newer models but I am attracted to the added power/speed with brushless/lipo setup.

- I'm in New Zealand, so more than likely will be purchasing online.
- Building/assembly is a big part for me which is why I've been looking so closely at Tamiya kits, I've not seen any other brands that require so much assembly(do let me know if I'm being blind).
- Will be bashing with this vehicle in various environments as we have a bit of it all here... so something fun and robust, and I like a bit of speed.
- Spare parts, I've only really seen limited sources of spares for the older Supershot, is this something that should concern me as I realize I'm going to break parts.

Any direction/advice on any or all of the above (or some things I maybe neglecting) any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance