Wiki Posts
Search

making a D 3.5 legal

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default making a D 3.5 legal

I saw a post on Facebook where they said you can just run a d4 stator in the old d3.5 and make it legal. From the sounds of it I would only have about another 50 dollars invested in it.I bought an express motorsports 17.5 about 3 weeks before they got banned way back, ran it in my short course a couple weekends, and then put it in my buggy for a while and ran it in mod. just wondering if it was legal before I wasted any money on it.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I'm going to say that if it is a D3.5 can... nobody is going to take your word for it that it is a legal stator, so the point is likely moot. You still probably wouldn't be able to run it in a race that is running strict ROAR rules. It's strictly a club/outlaw/mod motor at this point.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

no, any "modified" motor is not legal, even if all its specs are legal.
unless the manufacture has sent that specific modification (D4 stator with D3.5 everything) to ROAR to mark it legal, then that combination won't be legal.
The point was from the low cost side, where modifying a motor is costing too much and not good for the hobby, nor good to the class. Ironic, uh?
Old 04-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Tech Addict

So what about this one?
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=ns&pn=REV1602TS

the rotor is legal, the one that came in the D 3.5 is the same one that just came in my d4. It would be a kill shot with D 3.5 end plates.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:20 AM
Tech Addict

Anybody?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cautrell05
Anybody?
Again this would probably (99.9% sure) would not be ROAR legal. Just because the individual pieces of a motor are league, dose not mean that an assembled motor will be legal. The motor must be approved by ROAR as a complete assembly.

If you're looking for a ROAR legal motor then go look and the web site and they will have a complete list.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

They are correct, you cannot mix parts and remain legal, even is said parts are exactly the same just a different color See if you can sell the D3.5 on ebay and buy a new D4 1s
Old 04-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've seen a guy put a d4 statorinto a revtech can. All the parts are legal but its not a legal motor. He could put a 10.5 stator into the 17.5 can and from a visual inspection it would look legit, but isn't.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

okay, help me understand this. I understand what you guys are saying about totally piecing a motor together and being legal. Of all the pictures I've seen though, the killshot stator for example, comes with the killshot can. And unless I read wrong, both of them come with the same rotor. I've never heard of any performance difference in sensor boards and other than those three parts, all that's left is the end plate. the stator of the D 3.5 is what caused all the drama in the first place wasn't it? I'm not looking to cheat. No interest there. if I changed the stator and still ran the D 3.5 can I would fully understand everybody calling BS and not being allowed to run it.
so basically, the only difference between a D 3.5 and the kill shot for example is the stator right?
Old 04-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

okay, help me understand this. I understand what you guys are saying about totally piecing a motor together and being legal. Of all the pictures I've seen though, the killshot stator for example, comes with the killshot can. And unless I read wrong, both of them come with the same rotor. I've never heard of any performance difference in sensor boards and other than those three parts, all that's left is the end plate. the stator of the D 3.5 is what caused all the drama in the first place wasn't it? I'm not looking to cheat. No interest there. if I changed the stator and still ran the D 3.5 can I would fully understand everybody calling BS and not being allowed to run it.
so basically, the only difference between a D 3.5 and the kill shot for example is the stator right?
I would ask your track if what you want to do is legal.

As for mixing and matching and everything being the same the only ones who could confirm that is someone at Trinity.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yes you are correct in all aspects. the only thing that was "illegal" about the d3.5 is the wire used to wind the stator was slightly too big, so yes, if you were to replace the "illegal" stator with a "legal" stator you would then still have an "illegal" motor but made entirely of legal parts. best bet is just to sell it and get a d4 1s like someone mentioned above if you are worried about being legal. the new d4 1s is probably a bit faster and you will probably end up money ahead anyway.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Only one way to make a D3.5 legal, and that's to build a time machine and go back to 2012.