Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New isnt always better...when will chassis peak? >

New isnt always better...when will chassis peak?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New isnt always better...when will chassis peak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ridered4life250
I totally agree with you that there just isnt anywhere else to go from here.
We used to say that back in the RC10 days but then the Jrx2 came out with it's 5-link rear end. Lately innovation has been driven by the reduced weight/size of lipo. I agree that we won't see a revolutionary design but the stuff is better/stronger/faster now than it was in the 90's and it costs the same or less.

Originally Posted by nicholasxuu

D413 is still almost always out of stock, almost a year after it's first sold to public.

Also, the heated racing war for pros, creating more strict rules, and limits innovations. It's like a few years ago when formula 1 was using V8 engines, the engine was so restricted by rules, they are technologically years behind those road car engines parked outside the track.
The D413 is likely out because HB has decided to forecast conservatively and restrict availability. Nothing creates demand like demand.

It is essential to restrict innovation in racing. That's the only thing preventing racing from become a wallet race, and that syndrome almost killed F1 and MotoGP recently. Menawhile, NASCAR has incredible viewership and fan retention with pushrod V8's and fixed racing (YELLOW FLAG!! Debris on the track!)
Old 03-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
And you're wrong!

There's nothing innovative about a D413.

I have an FGX. I bought it thinking that the independent suspension must be better. It's not competitive on anything other than a makeshift parking lot track. Yes, it's novel but if I wanted an accurate F1 model, this wouldn't be it.

You don't need active dampening. Most people don't know how to tune their shocks now. Tracks are quite smooth today and not in need of innovation here. If anything, modern track surface has dictated that more primitive damping technology can work just fine as opposed to rougher tracks of old.

If you want a front braking system on a 2wd, use a 4wd with one way front bearings.

People were trying 4 wheel steering in the late 80's.

Brake bias is certainly something that could be tried but it's contingent on the wheels being on the ground. Traction aids in offroad are difficult to implement because the wheels aren't always on the ground. There's certainly room to explore this though.

Basically you haven't disproven anything that I've stated. No one today wants innovation. They think they do. They want things to be durable. They want good parts availability. They do want to be told something is innovative and they'll typically believe whatever they are told, true or otherwise, but at the end of the day true innovation isn't really necessary. Marketing wouldn't exist if people understood everything.
Look how far innovation went with Durango. They are back to the basic design that works.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Davidka
We used to say that back in the RC10 days but then the Jrx2 came out with it's 5-link rear end. Lately innovation has been driven by the reduced weight/size of lipo. I agree that we won't see a revolutionary design but the stuff is better/stronger/faster now than it was in the 90's and it costs the same or less.

The D413 is likely out because HB has decided to forecast conservatively and restrict availability. Nothing creates demand like demand.

It is essential to restrict innovation in racing. That's the only thing preventing racing from become a wallet race, and that syndrome almost killed F1 and MotoGP recently. Menawhile, NASCAR has incredible viewership and fan retention with pushrod V8's and fixed racing (YELLOW FLAG!! Debris on the track!)
And HB is notorious for having supply problems. It's not just this car. TCX had the same issues with availability and parts.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

...creating more strict rules, and limits innovations. It's like a few years ago when formula 1 was using V8 engines, the engine was so restricted by rules, they are technologically years behind those road car engines parked outside the track.
Really? F1 years behind cars parked outside? I hope I misunderstood your comment.

Not relevant to the topic, but I would have to strongly disagree here. And specifically in F1, more strict rules seem drive innovation. The things they do with those machines today is very advanced.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcus3r
Really? F1 years behind cars parked outside? I hope I misunderstood your comment.

Not relevant to the topic, but I would have to strongly disagree here. And specifically in F1, more strict rules seem drive innovation. The things they do with those machines today is very advanced.
I was saying those V8 engines, and I was paraphrasing high level person (I don't remember who) from those race teams, when they were promoting the idea of changing to turbo V6.
*Though I hate the no noise problem of these high-tech turbo V6.

Originally Posted by jmackani
Look how far innovation went with Durango. They are back to the basic design that works.
DEX410 seems to be a good success, it made a brand out of the serpent dropped out project (financial problem), and they sold the company to greatplanes. I'd consider that innovation a win.
But then there's a okay dex210, and they transferred the stuff from 1/10 to 1/8...
Let's see how far it will go with the back to basic stuff then.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A few things I can think of:
1. Electronic controlled adaptive dampening.
2. front brake system for 2wd vehicles.
3. four wheel steering for racing vehicles.
4. electronic controlled braking bias (inside wheel brake more in low speed corners)
5. active aero-dynamic components.
6. smart diff for smaller cars.
All but possibly one of those things are expressly forbidden by every RC governing body. You'll never see them.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
All but possibly one of those things are expressly forbidden by every RC governing body. You'll never see them.
So there it is. Is that why we keep seeing a lot of the same things? ROAR is hampering advancement?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:47 PM
Tech Champion

I was saying those V8 engines, and I was paraphrasing high level person (I don't remember who) from those race teams, when they were promoting the idea of changing to turbo V6.
*Though I hate the no noise problem of these high-tech turbo V6.

DEX410 seems to be a good success, it made a brand out of the serpent dropped out project (financial problem), and they sold the company to greatplanes. I'd consider that innovation a win.
But then there's a okay dex210, and they transferred the stuff from 1/10 to 1/8...
Let's see how far it will go with the back to basic stuff then.
The 1/8th design is no longer narrow and now pretty much has a Mugen pillow ball front end. Look at the new vehicles.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcus3r

Have to agree with this one. Ridiculous power, ridiculous fuel mileage(they only get one tank of fuel for the whole race) and basically the most advanced hybrid in the world with power storing generator they have on there.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

not to sway the conversation away from chassis innovations, but im still waiting on nitro engines to have a break through, brushless style... when will there be a total rethink of the carbs on a glow engine, like how about a cv style vaccume main jet.... who is gonna be the first manufacture to machine a block to make room for a lip seal in front of the bearing, whos gonna run needle bearing in a bell... stuff that would make things too reliable and ease the user

im no engineer, i wish i had the free time to really play with toys seriously, but i see so much of it as just toys, and even as detailed and amazing they are... there still toys and are engineered as to market.. not to the performance/reliability aspect... theres no profits in a cure... or in well running, long term reliability...to the end consumer that is
Old 03-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So there it is. Is that why we keep seeing a lot of the same things? ROAR is hampering advancement?
no fight on this one, I like both the heavily regulated cheap and fun nascar style racing, also the highly advanced technology testing ground like (part of) F1 and World Endurance Championship.
ROAR rule starts from a good basis to the "sport", and they are pretty open minded (i.e. letting these 4wd buggy shorty only configuration be legal).
Just thinking it would be fun if those imaginations will ever be feasible enough to exist, making rc cars a cheaper technology test ground for real stuffs. (i.e. deltawing project started using an rc car to test its concept will even work or not)

Originally Posted by jmackani
The 1/8th design is no longer narrow and now pretty much has a Mugen pillow ball front end. Look at the new vehicles.
yes, it's gonna run just fine, strong, and easy to work on. But just like their touring car, if you are not sponsored by them, why buy it?
It's the same price as those major brand's, won't be future classic to be a collector's item, nor they are a huge brand like kyosho or AE, parts are probably not available in local hobby stores either.
The only thing I can think of is if someone is seriously into both 1/8 and 4x4 SCT class, and he really want them to share one part box. Then what's wrong with tekno? lacking pillow ball front end?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

A few things I can think of:
1. Electronic controlled adaptive dampening.
2. front brake system for 2wd vehicles.
3. four wheel steering for racing vehicles.
4. electronic controlled braking bias (inside wheel brake more in low speed corners)
5. active aero-dynamic components.
6. smart diff for smaller cars.
There is one good statement in IT industry: KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid. modern RC car is simple enough not to be PITA during maint. and repair. All that shiny sparky stuff gonna add more failure points to the racecar, lowering chance to avoid DNF
Old 03-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Tech Champion

no fight on this one, I like both the heavily regulated cheap and fun nascar style racing, also the highly advanced technology testing ground like (part of) F1 and World Endurance Championship.
ROAR rule starts from a good basis to the "sport", and they are pretty open minded (i.e. letting these 4wd buggy shorty only configuration be legal).
Just thinking it would be fun if those imaginations will ever be feasible enough to exist, making rc cars a cheaper technology test ground for real stuffs. (i.e. deltawing project started using an rc car to test its concept will even work or not)

yes, it's gonna run just fine, strong, and easy to work on. But just like their touring car, if you are not sponsored by them, why buy it?
It's the same price as those major brand's, won't be future classic to be a collector's item, nor they are a huge brand like kyosho or AE, parts are probably not available in local hobby stores either.
The only thing I can think of is if someone is seriously into both 1/8 and 4x4 SCT class, and he really want them to share one part box. Then what's wrong with tekno? lacking pillow ball front end?
Funny you should mention it. I ran all durango for 2 years. 1/10 th were fine. 1/8th just never felt right on rough tracks. It was very unforgiving. 1/8th I now have kyosho tki3 nitro buggy and mugen mbx7t nitro truggy. 4x4 sct is now a Tekno and it's awesome. I have a new tekno e-truggy that I have not run yet. Somehow tekno figured out the narrow design. Hopes are the e truggy feels as good and easy to drive as the short course.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

They're not hampering advancement by attempting to control cost. We've watched over and over when a class comes along and is quickly adopted, then killed nearly as fast by costs escalating out of control.

To your MX example, back in the late 80's, the AMA put production rules in place and effectively did away with "works" bikes (had to have stock frame, engine cases, etc.). Now MX bikes are better than ever (advanced) for consumers and privateers can be pretty competitive with factory riders at a reasonable cost and the brand dynasties are over (Honda was 125cc champ for something like 14 years).
Old 03-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gravy Jones
Perceived obsolescence to drive sales. The end.
Exactly what I was going to say

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.