Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

New Schumacher KF2

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: New Schumacher KF2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MelKF2
Welcome to the KF2 Wiki!

Please feel free to add any Tips, Tricks, or anything that would be beneficial to the KF2 Family

Introduction and Pictures Introduction and Pictures

ElectronicsSetupElectronicsSetups

Setup SheetsSetup Sheets

EmulsionShocksEmulsion Shocks

Tony Newland Gear Diff BuildTony Newland Gear Diff Build

Suggested Gearing

17.5 I ran 69/31 at SRS Scottsdale Arizona and 72/30 at MHOR Aurora Co and Full Throttle ALB, NM RCM lockout worked excellent!

MIP pucks excellent upgrade! The new RCM lockout is an excellent piece as well! These options will greatly reduce weight throughout the drive line!

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 08:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MelKF2
Hi Bob, always like reading your thoughts and feedback! I just had my scales calibrated (last numbers posted not correct) and running the ESC in the right rear Protek's 2800 XLW/D4 motor. Balance F/R 38/62 -50/50 side total wt. 1298 grs w/o tires. I also have 40 grs wt L/rear. Plenty of side bit and forward grip excellent attitude off jumps. Don't give up on the MM yet!
Thanks! I try to give the perspective that's more realistic for 90% of us. Tom's Telford setup is what I'm going to try. I'm running mod at the moment. I enjoy 17.5 but I'm not sure I want to build this car for it. I think in order to be competitive at the highest level I would need at the very minimum the carbon chassis and slipper eliminator. I may still do it. But my present goal is to get my car right with mod and then decide where I want to go from there.

Forgot to note that I'm working the setup out for turf at the moment....I'll tackle clay later LOL
Old 10-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

FWIW, It seems like the team drivers have been using the MM configuration even on the really high bite surfaces for awhile now. Orlowski used it for the first EOS round and then Bob has been referencing Tom Yardy's Telford setup. Trish Neal also used a similar setup at Telford with MM. I do not know first hand but perhaps the car is just easier to drive for 5 minutes this way.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by motorcitymatt
FWIW, It seems like the team drivers have been using the MM configuration even on the really high bite surfaces for awhile now. Orlowski used it for the first EOS round and then Bob has been referencing Tom Yardy's Telford setup. Trish Neal also used a similar setup at Telford with MM. I do not know first hand but perhaps the car is just easier to drive for 5 minutes this way.
That's exactly what it is. It's more stable on multiple surfaces. If you think about the position of the motor, it's very similar to where it would be on your typical laydown car from the other brands.

If you're in a situation where you need maximum steering, you move the motor forward, but in my experience, which admittedly isn't a lot with this car, I have only felt that way one time. And truthfully I think after talking with Tom I can get what I need out of my car in MM.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
That's exactly what it is. It's more stable on multiple surfaces. If you think about the position of the motor, it's very similar to where it would be on your typical laydown car from the other brands.

If you're in a situation where you need maximum steering, you move the motor forward, but in my experience, which admittedly isn't a lot with this car, I have only felt that way one time. And truthfully I think after talking with Tom I can get what I need out of my car in MM.
The motor is actually even well forward of where it is with the current geared laydown cars. But the motor is mounted opposite the way they are on the three gear tranny so the motor forces work out differently.

A local track is converting to astro due to be complete next month. I'm going to start the car in MM configuration and go from there.

Keep us posted on how you're doing with it.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:25 AM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Didnt like my car at all in MM on astro, low grip is much easier to drive i thought. Come to
think of it I never liked MM on any surface. I used yardys silverstone setup.

The MM cars actually carry more static weight on the front vs the low grip. The increase in
forward grip comes from the motor inertia.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JsK
Didnt like my car at all in MM on astro, low grip is much easier to drive i thought. Come to

The MM cars actually carry more static weight on the front vs the low grip. The increase in
his silverstone setup is considerably different than his telford one. Most notably the rear shocks on front vs rear of the arms. I'm going to give it a shot.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here is something to try. A guy over here in the UK suggested this. I ran my car on medium grip carpet recently, and struggled a bit for forward traction after a few runs (in MM)
I am running modified btw. The suggestion was to strip the 4 plate slipper down to 2 plates. I tried his idea of removing the motor mount and gearbox, then feeling the difference whilst carefully holding it in your hand and applying power. With the pinion removed, you can feel a small kick towards what would be the rear of the car when applying full power. When I put the pinion back on, there was a much bigger kick towards the front. This must be because of the weight of the 4 plate slipper assembly. I would guess that it more than cancels out the reaction you get from the motor. When I rebuilt the slipper in a more standard 2 plate setup, the forward kick was very much reduced. If you run an eliminator, you would not have this situation.
I am starting to think that with the 4 plate slipper and the slightly more forward weight distribution with MM, you are no better off than running LG. It will be interesting to see how the LG and 2 plate slipper compares when I race there next time.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JsK

You are absolutely right the car is a little more nose heavy in the MM position but having the gyroscopic force of the motor at the rear of the car gives it a lot more grip and stability as long as power is applied I did not like the mid motor position the first time I Ran it having circle back around to it I found out with a few set up tweaks it was considerably faster but yes maybe a touch harder to drive then the load grip position
Old 10-15-2016, 07:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Larrysraceprep
You are absolutely right the car is a little more nose heavy in the MM position but having the gyroscopic force of the motor at the rear of the car gives it a lot more grip and stability as long as power is applied I did not like the mid motor position the first time I Ran it having circle back around to it I found out with a few set up tweaks it was considerably faster but yes maybe a touch harder to drive then the load grip position
Thanks Larry. I appreciate everyone's feedback. The lack of a track closer than 2 hours is killing me at the moment. I can't get any wheel time to actually try anything. I have a race on the 29th on a small turf track. Hopefully I'll be able to try some stuff the day before
Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motorcitymatt
Thanks Tajpan for posting this close up shot of Orlowski's car. The most interesting thing about it to me is the gearbox / bulkhead. It appears to be a molded part judging by the contours and detail. I guess it could be a 3D print. But either way, a part like that, especially if molded is a sign they have invested in the design to the point they intend to mass produce it so I am guessing we will see it in a kit soon.

Will it be KF3? SV3? Something else? Looking forward....
Did anyone find Greg Williams setup for his car at this race? (If really a KF2 SE)
Only asking as I'm possibly going to controlled chaos raceway in palmdale CA soon and I'd like to get prepping!
Old 10-18-2016, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

The sv2 is no more available, maybe a new kf on the horizon...
Old 10-18-2016, 07:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mustrum
The sv2 is no more available, maybe a new kf on the horizon...
the SV2 has been discontinued for a long time now. It was only available in the pre-built form. Once they were gone, it was gone. I got one a couple months ago from one of the guys on here and I'm up in the air with what I want to do with it. It's a nice car but I don't know that I'm going to use it much.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default Wheels/Rims

I have been testing Serpent 2/4wd rims on my buggy's! Fit is excellent lite wt. and strong. Just to let everyone know they work great.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

I have been running the DE wheels. And with the narrow rear hexs, they fit great. Plus I like the color options. lol
Old 10-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by stueys
Here is something to try. A guy over here in the UK suggested this. I ran my car on medium grip carpet recently, and struggled a bit for forward traction after a few runs (in MM)
I am running modified btw. The suggestion was to strip the 4 plate slipper down to 2 plates. I tried his idea of removing the motor mount and gearbox, then feeling the difference whilst carefully holding it in your hand and applying power. With the pinion removed, you can feel a small kick towards what would be the rear of the car when applying full power. When I put the pinion back on, there was a much bigger kick towards the front. This must be because of the weight of the 4 plate slipper assembly. I would guess that it more than cancels out the reaction you get from the motor. When I rebuilt the slipper in a more standard 2 plate setup, the forward kick was very much reduced. If you run an eliminator, you would not have this situation.
I am starting to think that with the 4 plate slipper and the slightly more forward weight distribution with MM, you are no better off than running LG. It will be interesting to see how the LG and 2 plate slipper compares when I race there next time.
No one has any thoughts on this then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.