GMEVO 4 motor, 9 Triple, handwound $121
GMSX12 W speed control. No motor limit. $309
Futaba Magnum 3PDF$ 336.20
CDC VER 6.0 CHARGER AND DISCHARGER$404.55
Total: $2083, left over money for spare stuff: $1617
Old 10-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Something you should consider is the track conditions you will be racing the buggy at. The XXX-4 does quite well on smooth hard packed surfaces. If you are on a track that takes a regular 1/8 scale pounding and is generally a rough track, you may want to consider a XX-4 with the X-5 conversion if you want to stay losi as that vehicle with that conversion works quite well on those surfaces. The XX-4 itself seems to have been seeing a resurgence on ebay as the prices for them have been going up, especially with the X-5 conversion.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Suspended

the tarck near my place is at the moment bone dry, and its getting a new surface put on it, most of it is flat, has a triple jump followed by a big jump arond the corner and its pretty big, its a all electric off road track so there arent any 1/8th cars, we run all EP off road classes. have a look at www.imcc.org.au in the gallery section and ull see pics of it.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

rinkeberg, some suggestions about the equipment you have chosen

I would suggesting purchasing IB3600 or IB3800 packs over the GP3300, you can purchase packs from Feral or Harris RC for much less than the Fantoms and they will perform better. I have been using $60 IB3600 Feral cells in 4wd mod with no run time issues. Also the motor you have selected, I don't know much about the GM motors but I would suggest buying a v2 based or checkpoint motor, a 9 turn motor with standup, laydown or p94 brushes will need to be cut after every run. You may also want to consider a brushless setup. I have raced against a xxx4 with a LRP sphere brushless setup and it was noticeably faster than my buggy running a 10x1 Fantom v2.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Tech Initiate

one thing that I have broken alot of are the drive pins in the dogbones that connect to the wheels
Seth
Old 10-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Suspended

thank for the advice, will take that into concideration when buying the gear i need.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Tech Regular

hey i just wanted to add my $1.09, i used to race electric very competivly and used to race 4 wheel with a shumacher and 2 wheel buggy, 4 wheel was my favorite class, only problem with 4 wheel is there is no one that races them. i recently got back into r/c and bought all new electric gear and a 2 wheel buggy ftb4. just to find out that i could race at srs in scottsdale and have maybe one heat of 2 wheel mod on sat. nite no 4 wheel. then i would go to ca. evey now and then and race at titus (great track while it lastedbut it is no more) i then took my b4 to revalation raceway, only to find out that anywhere 1/8 scales run the track is ruined especially for 2 wheel and 4 wheel, so needless to say all my electric gear got ebayed and i have a brand new jammin x-1 cr ready to go. as far as i'am concerned electric is dead and it will stay dead until brushless and li-poly batteries are standard. mainly li-poly for 2 reasons, my 3300 gp's took 42 minutes to charge, (run time was good way better than my 1700scr's) but li-poly are half the wieght so cars will have to be designed around this, and they only take 20 min. to charge. plus they are slightly more voltage. i belive this will revive electric. with the cash your willing to spend by an 1/8 scale. unless you race at so-cal or somewhere electric is thriving. good luck with your purchase. matter of fact you can get a jammin ready to run for 500, so take an extra 500 and give it to charity. do that and you still walk around with 2,000 grand in your pocket, to upgrade your car as you break. and help out someone in need,
Old 10-05-2005, 01:05 AM
Suspended

ok kool, but electric off road isnt dead at all it is raced all over Australia and at my local track, Albion Park at the Croom rd sporting complex and its also getting a new surface put on it soon so nxt yr there will be a good number of racers and its a all Electric car track that races all EP classes, 2wd buggy,truck, and 4wd buggy so the condition of the track is great, if EP off road was dead it wouldnt be raced at all just like 235mm on road nitro.
hope to see you at the Albion park track nxt yr, come and join us and have a ball!, to find out when and where goto www.imcc.org.au
Old 10-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Tech Legend

For motors I would look into that Epic Shock motor. The Trinity Cobalt I had was excellent, loads of power and the brushes last forever. The issue with the V2 style motors is that they can gum up in dusty conditions and then became a pain to work on. Power is also down on the V2s compared to a similar wind motor. no matter however in mod racing, but if you do anything spec wise its worth considering.

Good luck racing, 4wd was my favorite class but where I am am nitro is primarily run so I went nitro.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Suspended

thanx for the advice on motor choice, will definatly get that if what you say is true

For motors I would look into that Epic Shock motor. The Trinity Cobalt I had was excellent, loads of power and the brushes last forever.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Tech Legend

It is, the XXX brushes that come with the motor don't burn, and you run them down till the spring won't push they in anymore as they are that good. Part of the reason why they are like 10 bucks a pair but for the quality its good.

As for the V2 tech, I liked it when it didn't gum up, but, the conditions I ran just didn't allow that without some tricks that just slowed down that process. (cotton in the brush holder, etc). Also, if it gums up, you end up damaging the brushes trying to get them out as they weld themselves into the hood.

Not sure about the checkpoint motors, they may not have this problem so they would be worth a look too.