Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree485Likes

Yokomo YZ-2

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-11-2021, 01:35 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lexusbest
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1
  • Long specification for dirt Main chassis Inheriting the chassis cut of dirt specification, it is longer with the same wheelbase as CAL3.
  • Aluminum front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTM2B F2 body.
  • JConcepts ASTRO High Clearance 7inch Wing.
Features for the lastest specification YZ-2CAL3.1
  • Long specification main chassis for carpets. Long wheelbase that enables even higher speeds.
  • Steel front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTMBL S2 Lightweight body.
  • Z2-CAL2W LMR Wing.
Common features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1 / YZ-2CAL3.1
  • The conventional position and the position of the suspension arm pin 1 mm higher can be selected on the front and back of the front suspension mount.
  • Bulkhead integrated side plate with increased rigidity.
  • The kingpin position has been changed with the new steering hub carrier, the axle position has been lengthened by 1 mm, and a steering stopper has also been added.
  • Battery holder that is easy to adjust according to the height of the battery.
  • Separate the rear mount base and upper arm holder to increase the flex around the rear and improve traction.
  • Z2-018-5 5-hole shock mounting specification Rear shock tower.
  • S4-S1S 3.0mm shaft specification front shock.
  • S4-S1M 3.0mm shaft specification rear short shock.
  • S4-008R5B L5 / LD Rear suspension arm (Φ3.5 pin).
  • Z2-01069 Rear universal shaft (69mm bone).

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

YZ2T Tranny Conversion List

YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I
YOKZ2-0023

CAL3 manual
DTM3 manual

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 06:57 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mes
On our track, Darts are the fastest (for a few batteries) and you can get away with Cactus. Pyramids will last long but are quite slow compared to the Schumacher tires. My personal favorite are the Nessis, which are very close to the Darts but last much longer. I will have to give the Twin pins a try, but at the moment I don't think it's going to get better than the Nessis. Great tire all in all!
How would you compare the nessis to the darts as far as pin pattern and pin height?
Old 08-16-2019, 07:20 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
How would you compare the nessis to the darts as far as pin pattern and pin height?
I don't have any Darts here at the moment, but I'd say they are similar. Nessi pins could be a bit longer, but they are really close. Jconcepts pink compound is in between Schumacher yellow and blue, and seems to be perfect for the overall shape of the tire and pin profile. On other cars I found the Swaggers could have needed a bit more bite, but that did not seem to be the case when I drove the CAL3.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:52 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by mes
I don't have any Darts here at the moment, but I'd say they are similar. Nessi pins could be a bit longer, but they are really close. Jconcepts pink compound is in between Schumacher yellow and blue, and seems to be perfect for the overall shape of the tire and pin profile. On other cars I found the Swaggers could have needed a bit more bite, but that did not seem to be the case when I drove the CAL3.
good info. I'd be curious to get a tire here that is in schumachers "green" compound to compare to Jconcepts Nessi.

yeah swaggers feel like they have less bite to some of the schumacher tires we use for fronts here, enough so that some do slight setup changes when using them because of that. The do seem to be consistent in grip longer.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

With the new cars out for a while now has anyone built a DTM3 yet? How did the build go and how do you like the performance?
Old 08-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Milkdudd
With the new cars out for a while now has anyone built a DTM3 yet? How did the build go and how do you like the performance?
I built my dtm3 and ran it last night for the first time at a club race and all I can say is wow. The only thing I change is on the rear inner turnbuckle I ran no washer and 30 weight shock oil all around and this car blows my dtm2 away. I run on indoor med to high bite clay. I let a couple of other drivers try it and couldn't believe how it ran so smooth.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Computerjoe
I built my dtm3 and ran it last night for the first time at a club race and all I can say is wow. The only thing I change is on the rear inner turnbuckle I ran no washer and 30 weight shock oil all around and this car blows my dtm2 away. I run on indoor med to high bite clay. I let a couple of other drivers try it and couldn't believe how it ran so smooth.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not a hardcore racer like the rest of you guys although I was a couple decades ago. That said, I still love awesome machines. I think this is probably the next car I will build
Old 08-25-2019, 01:12 AM
mes
Tech Elite

The #3 generation definitely has a great basic set-up. Yesterday I headed to Arena33 for some practice, and all I changed was moving the battery a bit to the rear, increasing rear shock oil just a tad (AE 32.5 = 388 vs. kit 350) and tinkering a bit with springs. The RP Dirt greens in the rear seem about to be the same as the kit universal greens, so that was not really a big change, and the RP Dirt front greens together with moving the battery one hole to the rear made it more comfortable to drive while retaining the high amount of steering.
As I am running in a just for fun class with no weight limit, I checked the buggy's weight for the first time yesterday, and it was at 1414 g, with a 4000 mAh Performa battery, fat Highest DT2200 servo and the kit steel arm mount. I wonder whether I should try to push it below 1300 just for the fun of it. With a light servo and the plastic arm mount I should be more than halfway there, add some Lunsford...
Edit: 1349 g with a Futaba 9571 and the plastic mount!

Last edited by mes; 08-25-2019 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:27 AM
Tech Legend

be curious what is the biggest gain part folks are seeing? like is it the lower shock towers or the new steering rack, etc. Got a daughter here who is very intersted in rc all of a sudden lol. Have 2 cal2s sitting here and and variety of parts including stuff to do lower towers, could set up one for her with those changes lol

This week may get my CAL3 together.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have the opportunity to buy a new, unbuilt YZ-2 DTM2 for a good price, but wanted to know what would be needed/recommended for running on indoor carpet besides a gear diff and sway bars?

Also, does anyone know if parts are being discontinued since the 3.0 came out? Looking on Amain’s site, quite a few parts are listed as backordered.

Last edited by xenon55; 09-14-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xenon55
Also, does anyone know if parts are being discontinued since the 3.0 came out?
I would be interested in this and also how are parts supplies in general with the Yokomo? Is it common for parts to be backordered for these and for that matter Kyosho too?
Old 09-14-2019, 11:38 AM
mes
Tech Elite

They usually don't discontinue parts immediately, at least plastic parts. I am quite sure, you can still parts for the original YZ-2, but newer ones also fit in most cases.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mes
They usually don't discontinue parts immediately, at least plastic parts. I am quite sure, you can still parts for the original YZ-2, but newer ones also fit in most cases.
Ok. Yes, most of the plastic parts are listed as in stock, but it looks like a lot of the aluminum (option parts?) are listed as backordered.

Anyone have any feedback on my first question from post 4494?
Old 09-16-2019, 02:45 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Completely forgot about that! You'd also want the steel front arm mount and the wider rear arms. The plastic camber link mount is pretty solid, no worries. If you break the top plate, replace it with the sturdy truck version, which is also included in the CAL3 and DTM3 kits.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xenon55

Ok. Yes, most of the plastic parts are listed as in stock, but it looks like a lot of the aluminum (option parts?) are listed as backordered.

Anyone have any feedback on my first question from post 4494?
All of the alloy option parts(Of which I think all are DTM2 & DTM3 Compatible) went on backorder when the DTM3 kits were released, so I am guessing the new kit rush is responsible for most of what's on order. That being said, I haven't really had any issues getting parts otherwise. Most parts are in stock, and if not they are within a week or two. In reality, this is a chassis with sparse LHS support so most folks keep a good amount of common spares on hand. I always make sure I have extra shock towers, arms, carriers, knuckles/hubs, hinge pins, and shock shafts on hand just in case.

The car is also very durable. I have only ever broken a carrier and a knuckle in an entire year of club racing. Even the wheeler holds up just as well. I have only broken a few front arms.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Tech Legend

funny thing about the wheeler I think the B74 a-arms will work on it. I measured them up ad other than getting the right hingepin sizes, I think they will fit with 1mm of dremeling for the carrier,

In general I usually go alloy on the ball stud mounts. with the new car using the wider front mount those definitely have gotten hard to come by lol. Seen them pop up though a few times.

I general on the 2wd broken only some carriers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.