Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree11Likes

Carpet/Astro tracks in the US

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 11:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

This might give a better perspective to the size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbDv...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-04-2015, 01:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
Concur on full foam rear, probably no foam front.

Otherwise, if slicks are required (if they're not, buy the Schumachers from the other page and enjoy your advantage - for a week... ), MC primes on CC foam or the Schumachers themselves on open-cell ground into slicks are head and shoulders above any other slicks.

I've noticed a tendency that when an area's track(s) go carpet/turf, everyone tries to re-invent the wheel; don't unless they've found some one of a kind carpet nobody else is using. I can say firsthand that a sauced slick won't outrun an unsauced Schuie pin tire; any other carpet tire will be off the pace of those as well and anything else will be even further back. There are cumulatively hundreds of carpet setups across all the car brands over at Petitrc - I don't think you'll find one for a non-spec tire race (the EOS used PL tires as the handout a couple seasons ago and DBoots as the handouts before then) that didn't wind up on the Schumachers and that basically says it all.

I would tend to agree. Unless there is a rule against pin tires, run them. Will be far better than slicks. That being said... Some guys locally have had success running sauced foam tires on indoor carpet. They take an 1/8 scale pan car donut and cut it to fit a rear wheel (ribs ground off), and then use the excess to create a front tire. They run them with great success. Just as fast as mini pin tires, but last longer. I can't comment on the consistency/drivability of them, I just know they are on par and faster than my pin tires. (It's not that they are far better drivers, I can do laps around them in onroad, but it's hard to keep up with the off-road on pins).
Old 06-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mschumi101
I would tend to agree. Unless there is a rule against pin tires, run them. Will be far better than slicks. That being said... Some guys locally have had success running sauced foam tires on indoor carpet. They take an 1/8 scale pan car donut and cut it to fit a rear wheel (ribs ground off), and then use the excess to create a front tire. They run them with great success. Just as fast as mini pin tires, but last longer. I can't comment on the consistency/drivability of them, I just know they are on par and faster than my pin tires. (It's not that they are far better drivers, I can do laps around them in onroad, but it's hard to keep up with the off-road on pins).
Foam tires are a whole different can of worms and the likely demise of any class/track that will allow them in carpet OffRoad just as in OnRoad there is basically no more touring car foam classes and the foam-only OnRoad classes are at best somewhere between stagnant and dead. Coming from an OnRoad background myself, if they're merely on-par with pins and not driving circles around you with their foam, it's because they have no idea how to optimize the foam and optimized (i.e. properly trued down) foam will drive costs though the roof; not create longer lasting tires.

Not reinventing the wheel to make carpet OffRoad work as well in the U.S. as it has for the rest of the world means not Americanizing it with foam tires. A prohibition against foam from the start will be the most painless way for tracks to make the transition instead of having to ban it after a couple guys get it figured out.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mschumi101

Our track (and I run in the same region as MarkA) doesn't allow Pin tires at all. Our track does double duty, Onroad 3 days, offroad 4 days. That said, the Pin tires would do a bit more damage to the Ozite track and play hell on the sedans and oval cars. All our offroaders use Slicks or a variation, as Mark states, Primes have become very popular.

Foams are ONLY allowed in SC, no other class.

Its hard to judge a "fast tire" but as mark stated, the Schumi pins tend to dominate esp if its thicker or more commercial grade carpet or astro. With our Ozite and how much it cost, the track owner made a decision for slicks and that combined with traction compound (1 allowed compound sold at the store) it helps out not only the offroad, but onroad as well.

MOmo
Old 06-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MOmo
Our track (and I run in the same region as MarkA) doesn't allow Pin tires at all. Our track does double duty, Onroad 3 days, offroad 4 days. That said, the Pin tires would do a bit more damage to the Ozite track and play hell on the sedans and oval cars. All our offroaders use Slicks or a variation, as Mark states, Primes have become very popular.

Foams are ONLY allowed in SC, no other class.

Its hard to judge a "fast tire" but as mark stated, the Schumi pins tend to dominate esp if its thicker or more commercial grade carpet or astro. With our Ozite and how much it cost, the track owner made a decision for slicks and that combined with traction compound (1 allowed compound sold at the store) it helps out not only the offroad, but onroad as well.

MOmo
To clarify, one of our carpet OffRoad track in the area is slicks-only, the other allows pins and they do vastly outrun slicks there.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

What's the cost on the astro?
Old 06-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

I'd give my left testie for anything indoor. Carpet/dirt/onroad/offroad, I don't really care.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

So trim the outside lip of the the rim (front) and run no foam.

Rear full open cell, and run it?

On both the proline and schumacer?
Old 06-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Socket
What's the cost on the astro?
One of our carpet tracks will be replacing their very old and worn carpet with Astro in a couple weeks. They got it off Craigs List after a RV show came through town, setup a bunch of new turf for that and sold it off cheap afterwards. A little bit of patience and looking (indoor sports parks that replace their turf somewhat regularly are another good source) and an Astro track can be had for a lot less than anyone would think. I can't post an exact figure on the cost but I can put it this way - I know it will cost them less to turf over the entire track than what I know one of our (now defunct) clay tracks used to pay in labor and equipment rental to do a single track layout change.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 3srcracing
So trim the outside lip of the the rim (front) and run no foam.

Rear full open cell, and run it?

On both the proline and schumacer?
That's how most run it. The PL fronts require a full-width rim, it's the Schumachers that are narrow. The Shumachers are such a PITA to glue correctly and they'll last so long, it's worth it to just buy the pre-mounts I linked to a page or two ago.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

One of our carpet tracks will be replacing their very old and worn carpet with Astro in a couple weeks. They got it off Craigs List after a RV show came through town, setup a bunch of new turf for that and sold it off cheap afterwards. A little bit of patience and looking (indoor sports parks that replace their turf somewhat regularly are another good source) and an Astro track can be had for a lot less than anyone would think. I can't post an exact figure on the cost but I can put it this way - I know it will cost them less to turf over the entire track than what I know one of our (now defunct) clay tracks used to pay in labor and equipment rental to do a single track layout change.
Real astro or outdoor carpet? The field turf with backing can go for over $2-3 per sqft used. Looking forward to trying it out regardless.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tomdav
Real astro or outdoor carpet? The field turf with backing can go for over $2-3 per sqft used. Looking forward to trying it out regardless.
Real as far as I know and the rolls of it sitting there had the black backing pad and the plan is to lay it over the old carpet for more cushioning. It was put over the carpet for a corner last night to try it - as advertised, about 15-20% less grip than the carpet but very predictable, very linear grip.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Real as far as I know and the rolls of it sitting there had the black backing pad and the plan is to lay it over the old carpet for more cushioning. It was put over the carpet for a corner last night to try it - as advertised, about 15-20% less grip than the carpet but very predictable, very linear grip.
Now if they could only add another 10-15 feet of width, they would be golden. Hopefully I can make it next Tuesday. Rc plus is always fun. Maybe with the less grip we can run mini pins for longer than a few race nights. Did it have some height to it? Similar to a shag carpet?
Old 06-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ColbyRichards
Now if they could only add another 10-15 feet of width, they would be golden. Hopefully I can make it next Tuesday. Rc plus is always fun. Maybe with the less grip we can run mini pins for longer than a few race nights. Did it have some height to it? Similar to a shag carpet?
Next Tuesday should be last carpet week; turf going in after that but I've never had a problem with measuring the life of mini pins in weeks as opposed to runs like is/was all too common with the clay tires/tracks. I'm sure Joey will post something in the track thread as to the exact timetable.
The turf basically looked like all the other turf tracks you see. Track's not going to get bigger - it basically can't but how to enlarge the pits before next winter's crowds hit has been discussed. We'll see - it'll be another interesting change for the Oregon RC scene.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Next Tuesday should be last carpet week; turf going in after that but I've never had a problem with measuring the life of mini pins in weeks as opposed to runs like is/was all too common with the clay tires/tracks. I'm sure Joey will post something in the track thread as to the exact timetable.
The turf basically looked like all the other turf tracks you see. Track's not going to get bigger - it basically can't but how to enlarge the pits before next winter's crowds hit has been discussed. We'll see - it'll be another interesting change for the Oregon RC scene.
We have discussed multiple times about putting carpet outside at santiam. Just to much money to risk no entries. But the ability to use the same jumps inside and out would be awesome. Would be nice to see carpet only here in Oregon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.