Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need help with a slipper clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default need help with a slipper clutch problem

So when I was racing this past weekend I kept blowing spur gears I realized that as I was racing the nut for the slipper was tighting itself to the point were it would just blow the gear I went threw 3 gears in a matter of 10 mins of race time I made sure my mesh was perfect as well as the right amount of slip and make sure everything was together right what can be causing this problem I can't figure it out it's a kyosho sct please help
Old 11-18-2014, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I had a similar problem on an Associated B3 (long ago). What was happening was the thrust washer had developed internal friction to the point that when the slipper slipped, it would turn the slipper spring, which in turn rotated the nut to a tighter position. I replaced the coil spring used for the slipper with a stack of belville washers (cone washers) in alternating orientation so they could not transmit torque from the slipper thrust washer to the nut.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Got a feeling there is a lot of glaze on them or groves pads that will do it also. Than you have to tighten it quite a bit to stop the excessive slipping.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

+ on the glaze just to be sure. A new nyloc style lock nut couldn't hurt. For the gears, positive you have the correct gear pitch pinion? There are some metric vs imperial pitches that are just close enough to appear to work, but don't very well.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

I just had this happen to me a few weeks. During a quick rebuild of the transmission I somehow forgot to put a tranny bearing in and it was causing all sorta of binding and heat problems. Sadly enough it took 2 spur gears to realize that something was wrong.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Yes I will double check to make sure I have the. Correct pitch pinion I am almost 100 % sure I do though will replacing the spring and nut help everything else is new on the slipper
Old 11-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Also check the slipper metal plate. If it either strips the metal shaft, or the notch in the plate strips, then the plate will spin with the gear when the plate should actually be slipping. This can cause the plate to tighten the nut and spring.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Also check the slipper metal plate. If it either strips the metal shaft, or the notch in the plate strips, then the plate will spin with the gear when the plate should actually be slipping. This can cause the plate to tighten the nut and spring.

Ok thank u I will have to inspect the plate that's one thing I didn't change on it