Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Affordable ESC for a stock buggy

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I can't condone anyone buying a clone esc from hobbyking. I can't comment on the quality as I've never used one, I wouldn't use one because they are stealing designs from manufacturers that have put time, effort and money into development. When you buy an esc you are not just paying for a bunch of circuitry an capacitors, you are paying for the R&D that is required to bring us quality products.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:42 AM
Tech Regular

I've owned 4 of the HobbyKing X-Car 120a's : ran them in my B4.1 and 22, and they're now in my D413 and ECX Circuit. I've had one die after a friend drove the car into a creek: but every one that didn't take a bath is still alive

They're cheap enough I leave an extra one in my pit bag in case I need it: my spare servo is more expensive!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LaserPimp
I can't condone anyone buying a clone esc from hobbyking. I can't comment on the quality as I've never used one, I wouldn't use one because they are stealing designs from manufacturers that have put time, effort and money into development. When you buy an esc you are not just paying for a bunch of circuitry an capacitors, you are paying for the R&D that is required to bring us quality products.
Absolutely! If anyone can show that a company is selling clones of a licensed tech... either by owning the original and clone.. or posting screenshots or whatever... then that may factor into your buying decisions. In this case the hard part is going to be showing a premium vendor owns the IP of a specific ESC... and that it's not just a reference design made by a factory.

If it looks like one manufacturer is selling the same ESCs to multiple vendors, each with their own custom stickers on the side... then buy with confidence!

Pay a bit more if it's from your LHS and you want better service: pay a bit more to get it from a premium brand that offers better warranty: or pay less and get it mail-order (but lose on warranty and service) - you're likely getting the same hardware in any case.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LaserPimp
So you've never bought a tool from Harbor Freight or the dollar store?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

can the hobbywing Juststock esc handle a 13.5T Revtech in a 4wheeler? can you alter the firmware from stock to mod? thanks guys.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Potoczak
I would recommend the hobbywing juststock. For $60 dollars you can't beat it.
+1

I have 3 of these from when I was running 17.5 classes, my son uses one now in his 2wd Shortcourse. He runs it with a Tekin 10.5 motor in the mod class, no problems at all and the esc handles the mod motor just fine.

For $60 you can't beat these.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joel45acp
can the hobbywing Juststock esc handle a 13.5T Revtech in a 4wheeler? can you alter the firmware from stock to mod? thanks guys.
My son uses that esc in 2wd mod short-course with a 10.5 motor with no problems. However, I don't' think it's going to be able to handle a 13.5 4wd application.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Tech Regular

can the hobbywing Juststock esc handle a 13.5T Revtech in a 4wheeler?
From the Hobbywing website:

1.7 Suitable Motor:
- With 2S Lipo or 4-6 cells NiMH, 1/10 on-road>=8.5T, 1/10 off-road>=11.5T

So, yes, a Trinity Revtech 13.5t will work fine.

can you alter the firmware from stock to mod? thanks guys.
What do you mean by mod: adjustable timing? From the manual:

...Timing is permanently set to zero degree (unchangeable). With the identical racing motor, each driver has the same
power system to have a real just stock racing...

...Firmware updatable, but always with zero timing...

...2.9. Timing: The “timing” item is disabled for JUSTOCK CLUB SPEC ESC. It is permanently set to 0 degree....

So, no timing adjust if you switch to the mod class, but you can reflash firmware in general.

I think the X-Car 120 is a better value than the Justock: it can handle more powerful motors and be flashed with blinky firmware. It's the XERUN 120a v2 (which is on the ROAR approved ESC list) with HobbyKing branding.

Guess it depends on if your track just wants to see the 'blinking red light' to indicate no timing... or if the sticker on the side has to match a ROAR web page.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have a HobbyWing JustStock running on my AE T4.2 FT and love it, no issues at all, and my local hobby shop inside my track will take care of me should any issues arise.

Originally Posted by Beaker151
Well with hobbyking its always better to deal with the US warehouses if you live in the US.
Yes you can order from there, but their CS is overseas.

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
if you order from the US warehouse and there is an issue, either shipping or defect, do you deal with US employees? i would think their support staff is all overseas regardless of where you order from. i could be wrong...
Nope, you do not deal with a US employee.
Yes, all their support staff is overseas.

Originally Posted by CaseyD
Their customer service is good once you get to them. The only way to talk to them is through email or live chat. I was super frustrated until I figured out how it worked, they took care of me quick with a battery issue. Emailed them a picture and they sent me a brand new battery, even let me keep the one that was messing up.
I agree. I had an issue and it was VERY frustrating because there is not a phone number to call to talk to someone. Their "Live Chat" is basically robotic, scripted replies that get you nowhere, fast. After many of those I finally was issued a refund for something after 6 weeks, yes, 6 weeks. Luckily it was only around an $80.00 order, and I did get my money back, but their process is painstakingly slow.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beedee
I agree. I had an issue and it was VERY frustrating because there is not a phone number to call to talk to someone. Their "Live Chat" is basically robotic, scripted replies that get you nowhere, fast. After many of those I finally was issued a refund for something after 6 weeks, yes, 6 weeks. Luckily it was only around an $80.00 order, and I did get my money back, but their process is painstakingly slow.
Luckily i didn't run into that problem, after breaking everything in my office out of frustration that there was no number to actually talk to someone, i just bit the bullet and did the live chat. it went extremely smooth and fairly quick, although you can tell that you are not the only customer they are dealing with at that particular moment. I had my new battery within a couple of days.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PetRock
I've owned 4 of the HobbyKing X-Car 120a's : ran them in my B4.1 and 22, and they're now in my D413 and ECX Circuit. I've had one die after a friend drove the car into a creek: but every one that didn't take a bath is still alive

They're cheap enough I leave an extra one in my pit bag in case I need it: my spare servo is more expensive!
so ...what different motor's will work with this ESC?
Old 11-15-2014, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I went with the lrp super spin, it's only $62 and comes with a phone number, 90 day warranty and they have a good reputation
Old 11-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kaptain crash
so ...what different motor's will work with this ESC?
The manual on the HK site says:
  • Sensored or sensorless brushless motors
  • 2s lipo: >=3.5T onroad, >=5.5T offroad
  • 3s lipo: >=5.5T onroad, >=8.5T offroad

The fastest motor I've run mine with is the 6.5T in my D413 now - I've had zero problems with it.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goreyboggs
I went with the lrp super spin, it's only $62 and comes with a phone number, 90 day warranty and they have a good reputation
Originally Posted by PetRock
The manual on the HK site says:
  • Sensored or sensorless brushless motors
  • 2s lipo: >=3.5T onroad, >=5.5T offroad
  • 3s lipo: >=5.5T onroad, >=8.5T offroad

The fastest motor I've run mine with is the 6.5T in my D413 now - I've had zero problems with it.
Guess I men't to ask what different brand names will work with this ESC. They list three lpr, reedy, orion....any others?
Old 11-16-2014, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kaptain crash
Guess I men't to ask what different brand names will work with this ESC. They list three lpr, reedy, orion....any others?
Any brand that sells a 3-wire brushless motors with an optional sensor port: typically labelled as "540" or "550" size (3650 or 3660 cans). Once you get into the 550/3660 sizes or larger (3674, 4074 etc): you'll need to look at the voltage: if they're for 1/8-scale they usually need 4S-6S lipos... the X-Car 120 is only designed for 2S or 3S (which are more common in 1/10th-scale, with 2S being what's using in racing classes)

In general, for the X-car, you can use any brushless motor that says it's designed for 1/10th-scale RC cars running on 2s: where the common motors are rated at between 3500-5500kv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.