Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Frustrated RC guy with steering end points >

Frustrated RC guy with steering end points

Frustrated RC guy with steering end points

Old 11-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Errokk View Post
Make sure you throw in a pic of the servo horn and link in the mugen. Try turning the travel up even if it goes past 100 and see if you gain anything, it goes up to 150.
I've tried right up to 150% and still no love. It just stops and tries to pull the chassis apart lol
Old 11-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
Spektrum calls it "steering rate". It is an override feature measured in percentage. If S/R is set to 25% your steering will only go 25% the distanced of steering EPA/Travel setting.
HAHAHAHA I thought Spectrum must have something like dual rate cheers bro!!!
Unfortunately I know that is set to 100% I just didn't know what it was lol.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by orangutanracer View Post
Adjust the travel setting on your transmitter then you need to rebind and calibrate the receiver.
Yep done that and it didn't work

Last edited by osavage1; 11-10-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's not clear from your posts if the problem is solved. Is it?
Old 11-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
Mark the servo horn relative to the case and see if it's turning the same amount when steered by the radio or manually. We can't tell by the pictures, so you're going to have to look at that yourself. EDIT: although looking again at the pics it seems like the servo has a limited steering (dual) rate.

It's either the steering rate as previously described, or just the kinematics of the linkages as they get to full lock. Around full lock the linkages lose stability as the tie rod begins to intersect the kingpin. It's hard for the servo to control at this point as there is no mechanical advantage. Hence, possibly you can turn the wheels farther by hand than the servo would if you're grabbing the tire. Nevertheless, if you have the same rig as your buddy (and built the same) and if this is happening on your other car, it seems to point towards radio settings. I recommend spending a little time in the manual to familiarize yourself with the radio.
Yes I have marked the steering and it is turning a little bit less.

The Spectrum manual is useless. If I didn't have my buddies buggy to compare to I don't think I would have noticed lol. We have booked in a man date in my shed on Wednesday night to compare EVERYTHING..... a few beers and I hopfully will get to the bottom of it
Old 11-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

It's not clear from your posts if the problem is solved. Is it?
Nope not yet
Old 11-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by osavage1 View Post
I've tried right up to 150% and still no love. It just stops and tries to pull the chassis apart lol
Are you sure it's not hitting the steering stops?
Old 11-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

....It's either the steering rate as previously described, or just the kinematics of the linkages as they get to full lock. Around full lock the linkages lose stability as the tie rod begins to intersect the kingpin. It's hard for the servo to control at this point as there is no mechanical advantage. Hence, possibly you can turn the wheels farther by hand than the servo would if you're grabbing the tire....
You said perfectly samnelso.

osavage1, I would disconnect the servo linkage from the servo horn and move the steering by using fingers and see how far YOU (your fingers) can turn the tires using the ball cup (circled in photo) from the servo horn. See if you can get full lock, left & right, just by using your fingers.
Attached Thumbnails Frustrated RC guy with steering end points-photo-1.jpg  
Old 11-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Wowsa, you have given me a lot of testing to do thank you. The Buggy has barley been driven. It was awesome when I first put it together and turned great. I was using a Traxxas TQi until I saved enough $$$ for the DX4. I am a bit more familiar with the TQi than I am with the DX4, in truth I've only used the DX4 for about 2 hours in total. I'll start looking at it tonight and see how I go, if im still having problems ill take a few pics and vids and see what ya think. thanks.
Seems to be radio related....

Maybe the new Spektrum AVS system just doesn't let you turn sharp, for more control you know.
Is it accidentally set to Granny mode?
Old 11-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Precision1 View Post
Seems to be radio related....

Maybe the new Spektrum AVS system just doesn't let you turn sharp, for more control you know.
Is it accidentally set to Granny mode?
Agreed; I say disable that AVS and just drive it using traditional controlling and go from there.

I bought one of those Losi Mini Truggy's, and it came with AVC (my first experience with it). I took it for a couple laps around the track and couldn't stand it. It kept wanting to do it's own thing (driving off into the pipes). Dug through the Losi manual to find the disabling steps pronto (the procedure is very similar to the binding process). After disabling the AVC, the car was great to drive.

My .02. Please keep us up to date on your efforts.

The one thing that throws me off is you are saying it is tweaking the chassis when you are steering left and right with the radio - makes me think that the steering is hitting somewhere.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

longer servo horn.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you too everyone's suggestions. I have just spent the best part of two hours binding and re binding and binding again all with different travel (end points) and steering rate (duel rate) combos. After much too and fro I found a combo that reset the servo end points to a further position and gave me the full steering I had initially. I set the end points to 120% and duel rate to 90% then did a bind. After binding I was able to dial in the perfect throw and set the end points to 105%. I can't wait to get it back to the track and take it for a drive. AVC seems to be working perfect as well.

As a foot note AVC is a great thing as long as you take the time to tune it to that specific RC. If you follow the setting up instructions on youtube you can't go wrong, you need to keep tweaking it as conditions change etc. it helps big time on loose straights to keep it in a straight line when pinned and powering in and out of corners.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I wish I had seen this earlier. I had the same problem with the AVC on my Yeti. Very annoying indeed. You really need to make sure you bind it correctly or you will lose a bunch of steering that the steering rate or endpoints will not change. Glad you got it figured out.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yep done that and it didn't work
Originally Posted by orangutanracer View Post
Adjust the travel setting on your transmitter then you need to rebind and calibrate the receiver.
Credit where credit is due, thank you very much your suggestion didn't make sense at first but you were onto something thanks mate
Old 11-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Glad I could help.

Reading the badly translated technical jargon of some manuals can make your head spin and cause you to go cross eyed but, many problems can be solved by simply reading the manuals. http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F..._Manual_EN.pdf