Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 E Truggy Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
if you want to get a decent race truggy put together you are looking at easily over 1500 dollars. skip over the rtr options if you want to drive on a track. The initial cost is lower but you will spend so much more in the end upgrading everything to better equiptment.
If you are going to put some time on the truggy you will blow past that $500 real fast even if that is where you start out. In the end you spend more maintaining and upgrading a cheaper vehicle than you would buying something better built in the first place.

I would say you can stay well below the $1500 mark and be just fine, but you might want to double that initial buy in goal if you can.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by corn_bread
I just sent you a pm. I am one of the truggy racers at indy rc world.

part support is a big thing. indy supports mugen, xray, and tekno and associated.

they have most parts that break onsite. that being said if you choose the cheaper RTR (ready to run) option you will need to keep some parts in your toolbox to get you through some breakage.

I like the mugen truggy but the tekno is very nice as well. it is all personal choice for brand. all are good trucks

the caster is a nice quality truggy and well built. just have to order the parts for it. keep arms and drive cups in toolbox. have not had experience with the others.

nothing wrong with going with what you can afford. also look in the classified section here to see if there are any you like. also indy has used items that they sell.

electric or nitro is the big choice. keep that in mind that fuel cost vs battery cost.

shoot me a pm with a number and we can chat about it. also if you want to drive a truggy I would be glad to let you drive mine....
Talk to this guy ! By the sounds of it he s #1 in my book
Old 10-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Of the options you posted, I'd go with the HPI.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mydudrevo
Here is a great deal to get you going it's here in Texas so it's semi local. These are the forums everyone in Texas uses
http://www.rcfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40380
Did you see my post $500 mbx6t just add a radio! Has lipos and all. Plus it's local to you
Old 10-30-2014, 02:46 AM
Tech Master

Have you talked to your LHS ? About parts support ? What brands do they carry and or distributors they use ? Or do you plan on buying online ?
Old 10-30-2014, 03:07 AM
Tech Master

Hey Noob ..... nothing from you since your first post ... Whats up w that ? No input ?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mydudrevo
Did you see my post $500 mbx6t just add a radio! Has lipos and all. Plus it's local to you
Thank you for the free bump on my truggy. I'll be honest if your local, I will throw in an extra 3 sets of tires and a bag. I'm scared to find out how big a box I would need for 5 sets of truggy tires and all the extras.

OP if your interested and can spend a little more than 500 I could hook you up with a RTR setup.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Sorry about the no response. I've been staying in an area without very good service in my camper. Thanks for all the input. I started to look at kits and I've heard good stuff about the tekno et48. Probably going to go with it.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Whatzittoya
Sorry about the no response. I've been staying in an area without very good service in my camper. Thanks for all the input. I started to look at kits and I've heard good stuff about the tekno et48. Probably going to go with it.
There are some very happy people with that kit that I know of.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Rookie

After looking around I'm now planning on spending a good amount of money. I am kind of confused on which would be better durability wise, a buggy or truggy. I was told truggies are but now I'm hearing otherwise on other forums. I honestly don't have a preference I just want something that won't break everytime I drive it.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
Thank you for the free bump on my truggy. I'll be honest if your local, I will throw in an extra 3 sets of tires and a bag. I'm scared to find out how big a box I would need for 5 sets of truggy tires and all the extras.

OP if your interested and can spend a little more than 500 I could hook you up with a RTR setup.
Your welcome lol. Our local forums always seem to have great deals so I like to get them out there for people
Old 10-31-2014, 10:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Whatzittoya
After looking around I'm now planning on spending a good amount of money. I am kind of confused on which would be better durability wise, a buggy or truggy. I was told truggies are but now I'm hearing otherwise on other forums. I honestly don't have a preference I just want something that won't break everytime I drive it.
I would say buggies are more "Durable" they have shorter arms and smaller tires. Less physical mass to them in general. I've done and seen some pretty hairy things done with a buggy. Thats not discounting how strong a good truggy is. The bigger tires while adding mass do help with stability and soaking up bad landings. What is your definition of driving every time? I only raced my truggy with a few crazy moments. Hard landings, over shooting triples and doubles, and Clipping an I beam at Indy. I only broke 1 shock eyelet, and lost the a pin on my front center drive shaft. Which is a good way ruin a night of racing.

With that said, there is nothing like seeing a Truggy clear a triple. Its poetry in motion to see a skilled driver take one around a track cleanly. Thinking about it makes me wish a track was local to me and I could pick up racing again. Driving 2 hours + got old really quickly for me, the guys that do it every weekend. They have much larger stones than I.