Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

yeah is young. He will adapt.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Tech Rookie

cavalieri is lefthanded

you could also look into a used m11 or m11x, those are going for good prices lately
Old 10-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now is as good a time as any for your son to learn the harsh reality that we live in a right handed world.

He'll figure out how to steer it with his right hand. In general, lefties usually have better motor skills than righties, probably because we're forced to always do it the hard way.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

I use an Airtronics M11. A great radio, and reversible for lefties. Get one on Ebay for $50. I use the Spektrum module and micro receiver. It works great.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Tech Champion

My girlfriend is a lefty.

At first she felt more confortable with a left handed radio (dx3r).

Then for an endurance race we had to use the same radio. Considering she was better with a right handed radio than me with a left handed radio, we used it in the right handed configuration.

Then, she was too lazy to change it again and wanted to try her radio with the right hand setup.

Now she can't drive with a left hand radio anymore even if we both have radios that can be configured for lefty (M11X)

The sanwa M11/M11x is excellent but could be a bit heavy for a child. A dx3r is light, can be found for cheap now and can be used in both configurations.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:07 PM
BBJ
Tech Adept

As a lefty I have never had any issues using any 'regular' radio, either wheel or stick. I never really thought of it as a problem. I hold my wheel radio the same as any other RH person, trigger with the left, steer with the right. Another option to consider for anyone that may have difficulties using RH equipment is to use a stick radio and physically swap over the sticks. I'm sure it can be done with an old Futaba I have somewhere collecting dust, can't speak for any new or high end gear though.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

He will learn I promise. I had to learn to drive RH being a LH person and now if you hand me a left handed radio I might as well park it in the corner because I can not drive LH to save my life. I use an M12 which I believe can be configured either way but im so used to RH it wouldnt make a difference.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

You absolutely can learn but he may be better off driving lefty. Like many of you, I started righty but after switching, I became way more precise. Once you learn it takes a real commitment to switch.

For all the folks advising that the kid will just learn, I guarantee that you can throw a ball or write with your opposite hand if you practice enough too but it's not always your best solution.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:25 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm left handed but do a lot of things right handed including RC. My Dad was a carpenter, and was lefty like a lot in our family, but he encouraged us to use both hands as it made a lot of things easier. Has worked for me for 57 years so far.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shagino
You absolutely can learn but he may be better off driving lefty. Like many of you, I started righty but after switching, I became way more precise. Once you learn it takes a real commitment to switch.

For all the folks advising that the kid will just learn, I guarantee that you can throw a ball or write with your opposite hand if you practice enough too but it's not always your best solution.
The difference is, that for the most part, throwing a ball left handed doesn't really limit your options for anything, but with other things, that's not the case. When it comes to controllers, guitars, or other devices that need to be specifically built for lefties (as opposed to a ball), you immediately wind up with very limited options, most of which cost more than the right-hand counterpart.

Additionally, there WILL be things that are simply not available at all in a left handed configuration, or at least are rare enough that they will not be easily accessible. All lefties have no choice but to learn how to do things with their right hand, and are forced to develop motor skills with the right hand. The sooner that a left handed kid can teach his right hand to do stuff, the better he'll be in the long run.

You can pay big bucks for a lefty guitar, you can limit yourself to the couple RC controllers that are able to be converted, and you can find lefty scissors and even lefty firearms, but good luck finding a left handed chain saw or weed trimmer. Good luck finding a left handed can opener.

As a last comment, keep in mind that your left hand still plays a part in a lot of these devices... they are not one-handed. While lefties may struggle to steer the RC, they'll have a lot better throttle control. Lefties may have a hard time strumming the guitar or picking the strings, but their fretting will be better. Often times, the lefty's struggle isn't harder, just different.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:51 AM
dtr
Tech Master

I am also a lefty who does a lot of things with his right hand. When I started playing with rc cars I had the rtr radio so I began steering with my right hand. Two years later I got a used 3pks and tried both right and left hand steering, after a day I was quicker and more comfortable steering with the left then with the right. I would say let him try and see the results.

The ARRMA atx300 is a cheap radio that can be easily switched between left and right hand steering, looks like it was made for kids.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
The difference is, that for the most part, throwing a ball left handed doesn't really limit your options for anything, but with other things, that's not the case. When it comes to controllers, guitars, or other devices that need to be specifically built for lefties (as opposed to a ball), you immediately wind up with very limited options, most of which cost more than the right-hand counterpart.

Additionally, there WILL be things that are simply not available at all in a left handed configuration, or at least are rare enough that they will not be easily accessible. All lefties have no choice but to learn how to do things with their right hand, and are forced to develop motor skills with the right hand. The sooner that a left handed kid can teach his right hand to do stuff, the better he'll be in the long run.

You can pay big bucks for a lefty guitar, you can limit yourself to the couple RC controllers that are able to be converted, and you can find lefty scissors and even lefty firearms, but good luck finding a left handed chain saw or weed trimmer. Good luck finding a left handed can opener.

As a last comment, keep in mind that your left hand still plays a part in a lot of these devices... they are not one-handed. While lefties may struggle to steer the RC, they'll have a lot better throttle control. Lefties may have a hard time strumming the guitar or picking the strings, but their fretting will be better. Often times, the lefty's struggle isn't harder, just different.
Agreed. What works for you may not work for me.

Not saying to do everything with your left. I use my mouse with my right and open cans My point is that anyone in this situation shouldn't just go right because that's the easiest way to do it. If you can drive better right, great. I found that I'm faster left. Everyone needs to make their own decision. I think driving a righty controller with your left hand is a perfectly fine option.

Originally Posted by dtr
I am also a lefty who does a lot of things with his right hand. When I started playing with rc cars I had the rtr radio so I began steering with my right hand. Two years later I got a used 3pks and tried both right and left hand steering, after a day I was quicker and more comfortable steering with the left then with the right. I would say let him try and see the results.

The ARRMA atx300 is a cheap radio that can be easily switched between left and right hand steering, looks like it was made for kids.
Nice. I can still drive right but I'm way faster left now. Very cool find on the ARRMA. That's perfect for a kid that's deciding which hand to use to drive.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This is an inexpensive 4PL Rip-Off that's reversible. Not sure how good it is, but it's might not be too expensive to take a gamble on.

http://www.himodel.com/radios/2.4Ghz...04C_White.html
Old 10-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

This is a decent radio that can be converted for right or left hand use for $40

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBKYW&P=ML

The older discontiuned Futaba 3PK can be had used for around $100 (in FM version - much more $$$ in 2.4ghz) and can be configured for left hand use.

If you lay out some serious cash, all the higher end radios from Futaba, KO, and Airtronics are reversible.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had the same problem and got the DX4R Pro. I still think I drove better with the right handed radio holding the steering wheel up. You can find used DX3R's for a good price, check the local track out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.