Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Venom 2S not taking full charge

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Default Venom 2S not taking full charge

I have a venom 2S 5000mah 25c that wont fully charge. Im pretty new to lipo so i may be doing something wrong but my charger is pretty easy to use and it doesnt seem there is much to f-up. The charger is a ge power b6. It doesnt charge above 6 volts. I can get more details off the charger if needed. Do i just need to replace the battery or is there something else i should try first?
Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bksrt
I have a venom 2S 5000mah 25c that wont fully charge. Im pretty new to lipo so i may be doing something wrong but my charger is pretty easy to use and it doesnt seem there is much to f-up. The charger is a ge power b6. It doesnt charge above 6 volts. I can get more details off the charger if needed. Do i just need to replace the battery or is there something else i should try first?
Whats your capacity cutoff on the charger set at? If it's not set to 5000mah it won't charge the lipo fully.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

6 volts for a 2S? That sounds like you may be on the wrong charger mode/setting. Long shot here, maybe a balance only mode?? Instead of balance charge?
Old 09-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Maybe he meant it won't charge above 6 amps? I just checked the charger and it says 5 amps max charge. Is it on the correct battery chemistry type and are you balancing?
Old 09-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Its set for 5 amps, 5000mah and on the lipo setting. Pretty sure its on balanced mode too
Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Its set for 5 amps, 5000mah and on the lipo setting. Pretty sure its on balanced mode too
Yeah, 6 volts is pretty low for a Lipo. When maxed out at full charge it should be 8.4 volts total ( 4.2 volts per cell).

So I would check the charger. Sounds like one of the settings is not correct. Possibly on cycle where it charges and then discharges? or storage although that voltage is a little low for storage?

Best advice, check the manual for the charger and make sure it is set up correctly. Charge at 5 amps and you will be good to go.

If its a brand new battery, it will take a couple cycles ( like 10 or so) to take a full charge. but you should see a final voltage of 8.4.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

I just put it on again to check what the charger says. Its at 3.27v per cell i put it on balance mode and it wont read over 3.28v and i also had alot of trouble at first as it kept coming up with a short error. I cant find a short anywhere but it eventually started working. Not sure where the short would be......theres nothing visible on the battery or charger that would cause a short. Its also not a new battery, been used a bit. I got it second hand so im not sure how many cycles its been through
Old 09-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just put it on again to check what the charger says. Its at 3.27v per cell i put it on balance mode and it wont read over 3.28v and i also had alot of trouble at first as it kept coming up with a short error. I cant find a short anywhere but it eventually started working. Not sure where the short would be......theres nothing visible on the battery or charger that would cause a short. Its also not a new battery, been used a bit. I got it second hand so im not sure how many cycles its been through
In this case you would just be better off getting a new lipo. If there is a short, it could cause a lipo fire. I had a lipo that wouldn't charge and when it did, it struggled to power my car.

I can recommend a new lipo with similar specs to what you have now:
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...-car-lipo.html
Old 09-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

What if i run it(it powers my truck ok) till its completely dead and try from scratch or is this a bad idea?
Old 09-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

What if i run it(it powers my truck ok) till its completely dead and try from scratch or is this a bad idea?
Yes that is a very bad idea. Unless you plan on burning your neighbors house down.

When lipo batteries discharge past a specific point, the chemical composition becomes unstable and will spontainiously combust. Not good. That's why the manufacturers put warnings and limits of how low to discharge them. I would do 2 things.

Find someone who can put it on their charger and see if does the same thing. This will tell you if the battery is bad or the charger is your problem.

If you battery is the problem, I would call Venom and see if you can send it in for repair/ replacement.

If it charges fine on the other charger, find someone who can help you set it up correctly or get another charger.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerm13
Yes that is a very bad idea. Unless you plan on burning your neighbors house down.

When lipo batteries discharge past a specific point, the chemical composition becomes unstable and will spontainiously combust. Not good. That's why the manufacturers put warnings and limits of how low to discharge them. I would do 2 things.

Find someone who can put it on their charger and see if does the same thing. This will tell you if the battery is bad or the charger is your problem.

If you battery is the problem, I would call Venom and see if you can send it in for repair/ replacement.

If it charges fine on the other charger, find someone who can help you set it up correctly or get another charger.
Uhhh...No
Old 09-22-2014, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I have put a couple of fires out myself, and know of many many more to boot. Never have I seen lipo go up unless it was attached to a device or physically damaged. I guess there is that .00000001% chance out there, but they are actually pretty stable if cared for properly.

Now, I will add that a lipo that is in less than good working condition (puffed up / not charging right / etc) is more likely to give you issues and be a safety concern vs one that is in good shape.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:56 AM
Tech Adept

These batteries arent puffed up or anything they look fine...oh and when i say batteries, they both wont take a charge now. They dont charge past 6.5 volts.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

These batteries arent puffed up or anything they look fine...oh and when i say batteries, they both wont take a charge now. They dont charge past 6.5 volts.
6.5 volts is pretty much a fully discharged battery. Does the charger charger other batteries? It sounds like a bad charger as it is not really doing any charging.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

is it possible that the lipos were over-discharged and now won't take a charge? I know some chargers have issues trying to charge a lipo that is too low, they will just refuse to charge. Some people even drop them into other "charge" modes to try and get the voltage up.

as others have suggested, if you can try these lipos on someone else's charger to see if they will take a charge that would be helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.