Search

17.5T for Cactus next year

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
you missing the point... you have to install different firmware
Arrr! Man, I knew I was missing something. Where oh where are the days of brushes and springs gone??? Thanks homie for helping this old dog learn some new tricks.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joel45acp
Thanks for input sir, but I'm not looking for the latest and greatest. Some of us are pure hobbiests at heart and nothing more. Thus the reason I still run 25yrs old brushed motors and nimh batteries at my local track and do very well against the latest and greatest. Again, thanks for your input sir.
99.99 "which motor" threads are people wanting the latest and greatest. You didn't say it was, but you didn't say it wasn't. I figured you were like the rest and that's what you wanted, sorry.

Pick any of the top brands and you'll be fine.

It's R/C, you buy now or you buy later..most of us buy now AND later
Old 08-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racer1812
99.99 "which motor" threads are people wanting the latest and greatest. You didn't say it was, but you didn't say it wasn't. I figured you were like the rest and that's what you wanted, sorry.

Pick any of the top brands and you'll be fine.

It's R/C, you buy now or you buy later..most of us buy now AND later
No worries homie. I just needed input on a 17.5 for this race and I'm well aware I'm way out of my league being that this BL stuff is so different from brushes and springs. Dang ROAR! You had to change the rules didnt you? If I do run 17.5, I'll get the Shurspeed or Revtech. Now, I need to get my esc issue squared away. But someone on an earlier post mentioned the 13.5 class, so I'll look VERY closely at that too, since I'm running a Trinity D3 13.5 now with great success at our local track. The 4wheeler 13.5T class is very doable too. Maybe, just maybe, I can run blinky 2wd buggy, super stock 2wd and 4wheeler. Wow! that sounds like a ton of work though. Thanks again for all the info gents. Its greatly appreciated
Old 08-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

your D3.5 won't be allowed at ROAR events for spec racing.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Your D3 13.5 will be fine for the Cactus. It's not a D3.5 which was found to be illegal.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
your D3.5 won't be allowed at ROAR events for spec racing.
No, mine's the D3, not the outlawed D3.5.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

Just a shot in the dark here, but if I run blinky can I use the same buggy for super stock? Providing I switch out motors of course.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Just a shot in the dark here, but if I run blinky can I use the same buggy for super stock? Providing I switch out motors of course.
yep
Old 08-30-2014, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Now that's a possibility too sir, since I run a 13.5 D3 in my RB5 against guys running 6.5, 7.5, and 8.5T motors in 2wd buggies and do quite well. I might have to try a 13.5T in my ZX5FS2SP too and see how it goes. Man, that just might work son!

Good to hear if ya decide to go the 13.5 wheeler route too. I have the same car and ran this year and did better than I thought I would and had a lot of fun doing so. I'll probably do both 13.5 classes again, though if the 17.5 keeps going like it is right now, I might step up to the plate for that instead or maybe try to run both. LOL.

Back to the motor stuff,

The new D4 looks pretty strong. The new Schuur Speed V3 is supposed to be very good as well and I'm not sure of they'll have anything newer out by then. I asked around this year before going down there for what people were running motor wise for 13.5 and it seemed a lot of locals guys liked the Hackers and Trackstars. The hacker was about the same price as the other top end motors and the Trackstar was super cheap compared to everything else. I saw both run and they did look pretty good, though it could have been the driver. At any rate, if you go with just about any of the more known motors, you'll probably be good to go. If you're like me, the motor won't be your issue so much, driving might be. LOL.

And if you just have to go all in, I looked up the Fantom D4 13.5 and 17.5. With every option they offer, those little guys will run you 197.00 each. Probably some fast little motors, but for that price, they better be the fastest thing on the planet in that class. LOL.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Good to hear if ya decide to go the 13.5 wheeler route too. I have the same car and ran this year and did better than I thought I would and had a lot of fun doing so. I'll probably do both 13.5 classes again, though if the 17.5 keeps going like it is right now, I might step up to the plate for that instead or maybe try to run both. LOL.

Back to the motor stuff,

The new D4 looks pretty strong. The new Schuur Speed V3 is supposed to be very good as well and I'm not sure of they'll have anything newer out by then. I asked around this year before going down there for what people were running motor wise for 13.5 and it seemed a lot of locals guys liked the Hackers and Trackstars. The hacker was about the same price as the other top end motors and the Trackstar was super cheap compared to everything else. I saw both run and they did look pretty good, though it could have been the driver. At any rate, if you go with just about any of the more known motors, you'll probably be good to go. If you're like me, the motor won't be your issue so much, driving might be. LOL.

And if you just have to go all in, I looked up the Fantom D4 13.5 and 17.5. With every option they offer, those little guys will run you 197.00 each. Probably some fast little motors, but for that price, they better be the fastest thing on the planet in that class. LOL.
thanks for the insight about the Trakstars motors homie. However, I read that they tend to weaken after several months of use. Do you know anything about that? I think I'm going the superstock route rather than the blinky class, since I have the motors already, a D3 and a Ballistic 13.5. Now, does the superstock class require the ESC to "blink"? thanks again and hope to meet ya and possibly run with ya. Laters
Old 08-31-2014, 01:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I believe super stock is "blinky" 13.5 but not 100% sure..
Old 08-31-2014, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

thanks for the insight about the Trakstars motors homie. However, I read that they tend to weaken after several months of use. Do you know anything about that? I think I'm going the superstock route rather than the blinky class, since I have the motors already, a D3 and a Ballistic 13.5. Now, does the superstock class require the ESC to "blink"? thanks again and hope to meet ya and possibly run with ya. Laters

Trackstar weakening over time? I suppose they could do so faster than some of the others, but for 40 bucks a piece (I think that's right) I think most probably wouldn't care if they did. They'd just get a new one.

13.5, like the 17.5 classes are a blinky class as well. Which really means that there is no timing/boost/turbo function in the esc. Using the timing on the motor is ok. So if you have to play with your esc to get it there, that's what you'll have to do. They'll tech for that at the cactus for sure.

Speaking of which, unless they decide to Tech a different way from this year, this is what they'll be looking for in the stock classes (17.5 and 13.5):

Blinky:
No esc timing/boost/turbo function. A lot like how the old esc's used to be

Weight:
Mainly for being under the 1499 min. weight rule ( if you're at 1500g or more you'll be fine)

Batt voltage and temp:
No more than 8.4v and has to be no more than +10 degrees over ambient air temp. Basically it's done to keep guys from pumping 20amps into their batts, or at least that's the thought.

Width:
Make sure the car it within the max width limits. You might need to reset your toe if you're pushing the limits of width so you can fit in the box.

I didn't see them do a tear down of motors this year, but it's always a possibility for them to do. The above Tech'ing is done before every run, so you'll have to be up there in line for tech about a heat or two before your own. Wasn't too bad, and at an event like that, I'd expect to be Tech'd like they do. They have it down pretty good.

Anyway back to the motors...........................................: nod:
Old 08-31-2014, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Wow, a wealth of info sir. I'm learning something new everyday. Thanks a ton. As for the motor, I'm going to try the Ballistic and see how it fairs against the D3 I already have. If I need a stronger motor, I can always get a used one on here. I see them for sale all the time. So as of right now, a D3 in the RB5 and maybe the Ballistic in the ZX5. Again, thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated homie.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Wow, a wealth of info sir. I'm learning something new everyday. Thanks a ton. As for the motor, I'm going to try the Ballistic and see how it fairs against the D3 I already have. If I need a stronger motor, I can always get a used one on here. I see them for sale all the time. So as of right now, a D3 in the RB5 and maybe the Ballistic in the ZX5. Again, thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated homie.

Wealth of info? Ha. I wouldn't go that far unless you need lots of useless info, I seem to have just about all the answers for the Who gives a crap edition of Trivial Pursuit. LOL. In all seriousness, just passing along info I learned from this year.

I don't know too much about the Ballistic you got as far as how the timing on the motor is marked. You're a bit on your own on that from my end for sure. I'm sure it'll probably do ok. RB5 and ZX5? Oh man, hope you have every spare part known to man for them puppies. Well the RB5 for sure, by the Cactus, the ZX5 could be almost in the same boat. Not too many guys run that series much anymore. Almost every one that run a Kyosho 2wd buggy has all gone to the RB6. Being that the ZX6 is still fairly new, many may be still running the ZX5 for a few more minutes, so there should be some one that had parts for that guy down there. I plan on going the ZX6 route sometime soon, before the cactus for sure. So I'm not too sure what all I'll be bringing parts wise that will work on the Zx5, but I just might have a little something something.

Back to the motors,

Buying used doesn't always hurt. It'll save ya some coin for sure, but it's not always easy to tell if it's a good buy or not. More so with the stock motors, so do some home work. It just might save ya some headaches later on. This year I had two per car just in case one went up in smoke. Didn't plan on spending the coin like I did, but not knowing how the stock motors like/need to be ran, I wasn't taking any chances of only having one and smoking it while trying to figure everything out. I'll probably have a couple new ones for next year.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

1 motor should do just fine for a racing season as long as you don't run them over heated and keep them clean of debris, but for a big event it never hurts to come out with a newly broken in motor and fresh batts. Give yourself the best chance you can and that will def help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.