Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Rustler motor/esc Questions >

Rustler motor/esc Questions

Rustler motor/esc Questions

Old 08-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Rustler motor/esc Questions

Hi All,

so I have had the Rustler RTR electric truck for about 2 years and upgraded to a Duratrax DE10 ESC and a brushless motor (tacon 3650-11T 3200KV). I was a little surprised that it was not mcuh faster than the stock 12t motor and ESC that I received with the truck. It was confirmed this weekend when my bother was showing off his newly purchased bandit Brushless buggy.

We have the same battery running (7 cell traxxas 3000mah) so I thought that top speed would be very close. I am using all the stock gears. What am I missing? He is probably 10=15 mph faster and his battery runs twice as long.

Also, thinking of maybe going with a 8 cell 5000mah Nimh battery. Any thoughts on what I should get. I am interested in some increased speed.

please help.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

is the same battery since you got the truck 2 years ago?
If does, probably the problem is your battery.
Try switching the bandit and rustler batteries and see what happens.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A 3200kv motor powered by a 7 cell nimh with the stock Rustler gearing isn't going to be fast. Maybe 25-30mph if you're lucky.

Honestly I'd skip the nimh batteries and get some lipos. Brushless systems really need a lipo to bring them to life. You can get a decent lipo balance charger for under $100, and probably close to $50 if you just get a basic 50w AC charger. You can also find good 2 cell 5000mah lipo packs for around 30 bucks or so.

With a lipo and some different gearing your car should easily do 45mph with a 2s lipo and probably 60+mph with a 3s if you wanted to.