Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BJ4 or ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default BJ4 or ???

Hey guys, new to this forum. I haven't raced in probably 8 years or so because of a lack of facilities. However a very nice new shop/track has opened up near me and I wanna start racing again! It's a large indoor hard packed clay track with high traction and flows really well. My question is that I still have most of my old R/C car stuff (tools, chargers etc) and a BJ4 non worlds kit that I never finished building. Since I've never driven the car I'm wondering if it will fit my driving style or if I should sell it and look elsewhere. Previously I raced a XXX4 G+ but I never really liked racing that car. The track I raced at before was over two hours away so I never had time to practice and get my car dialed in before it closed. I had the XXX set up with a one way front and it had way too much steering to suit me. Occasionally I could turn laps on par with the fastest cars in the class but the car was just too inconsistent. I'd rather have the car a smidge tight rather than loose. You guys that have ran both, will the BJ4 be more predictable than the XXX? When I raced last there wasn't near as many 4 wheelers on the market as there are now. You pretty much had the Losi cars or maybe a Schumacher cat but the LHS didn't stock parts for much else. Now that there are more options I'm just wondering if there is a better option for a club racer who wants a predictable chassis that is competitive enough. Back in the day I raced a Kyosho Optima Mid that was absolutely dialed! I guess it kinda spoiled me because that car would damn near drive itself, the XXX , not so much...
Old 07-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoLane
Hey guys, new to this forum. I haven't raced in probably 8 years or so because of a lack of facilities. However a very nice new shop/track has opened up near me and I wanna start racing again! It's a large indoor hard packed clay track with high traction and flows really well. My question is that I still have most of my old R/C car stuff (tools, chargers etc) and a BJ4 non worlds kit that I never finished building. Since I've never driven the car I'm wondering if it will fit my driving style or if I should sell it and look elsewhere. Previously I raced a XXX4 G+ but I never really liked racing that car. The track I raced at before was over two hours away so I never had time to practice and get my car dialed in before it closed. I had the XXX set up with a one way front and it had way too much steering to suit me. Occasionally I could turn laps on par with the fastest cars in the class but the car was just too inconsistent. I'd rather have the car a smidge tight rather than loose. You guys that have ran both, will the BJ4 be more predictable than the XXX? When I raced last there wasn't near as many 4 wheelers on the market as there are now. You pretty much had the Losi cars or maybe a Schumacher cat but the LHS didn't stock parts for much else. Now that there are more options I'm just wondering if there is a better option for a club racer who wants a predictable chassis that is competitive enough. Back in the day I raced a Kyosho Optima Mid that was absolutely dialed! I guess it kinda spoiled me because that car would damn near drive itself, the XXX , not so much...
I will buy the BJ4 if you want to sell it.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Might
Old 07-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Sell the bj4. Buy something more modern. any of the new generation buggies are pretty good, but going to tephe track and investigating, and maybe even driving a car or two would be a much better rout to go. You will also need all new equiptment.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Tech Rookie

I guess what I'm asking is how does the BJ4 compare to the XXX4 as far as handling? The XXX4 I think I had set up with a spool and one way bearings on the front and it had A LOT of turn in. No amount of chassis tuning could get the car where I really wanted it. Don't get me wrong, it was fast through the turns but you really had to take a perfect line through each turn, it was very unforgiving. I always wanted to try a ball diff in the front of that car but with the inability to practice it never happened. At any rate, the track I'm going to race at now is essentially set up for 1/8 and 1/10 scale so it's large with sweeping turns so it ought to be more 4wd friendly. I've been to plenty of tracks and seen guys with "outdated" chassis' kick plenty of butt. It really comes down to driver and set up at the club level. But you're right, a lot has changed since I raced last as far as electronics. I assume I can have my Turbo 35 reprogrammed for LiPo? and maybe reuse my servos but that's about it...
Old 07-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

You don't really want a one way with long sweeping turns. That was probably your issue in the first place, the one way. It made the car turn in very aggressively.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I cringe when I think of a xxx on a 1/8 track. You should hold of on running it and look into a newer wheeler. Of yo u like losi and the feel of belt drive the 22-4 is a great car. There are many other great wheeler to consider as well...
Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ThePanda
You don't really want a one way with long sweeping turns. That was probably your issue in the first place, the one way. It made the car turn in very aggressively.
I agree, I think the ball diff front would be better for off-road.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by symmetricon
I cringe when I think of a xxx on a 1/8 track. You should hold of on running it and look into a newer wheeler. Of yo u like losi and the feel of belt drive the 22-4 is a great car. There are many other great wheeler to consider as well...
The XXX is long gone, I have a 1st gen BJ4 now but I do like the 22-4. When I was on the preorder list for the BJ an "X-5" conversion kit came out for the XX4 buggy and I seriously considered one but never did.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Run the BJ4 for a month or so, and see if you like it. You already have it, so it will be easiest on the wallet. The 22-4 looks like a solid option as well... or maybe shift to 2wd?
Old 07-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the bj4 is pretty much the original version of the team associated b44.2. there are many updates since, but its still similar. if you like the bj4, look into the b44.2.