Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
To many bigger races this year not club racing . >

To many bigger races this year not club racing .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To many bigger races this year not club racing .

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

When there's a big race in our state our attendance does go down about 1/3.
But it's not an issue. Our regulars don't really travel. Mostly it's just the fastest of us that travel. We'll still have 2 Ebuggy heats, 1 4x4SCT, 1 truggy, and 1 2wd something.

I'm trying to club race only every other weekend. With large events eating one of those club days, not my off day. And I'm part of a group that runs a track, so that kinda hurts a little to be away that much. RC is just taking too much of my time/effort, without enough of a reward.

Need to make club racing more appealing. Qual,Qual,Qual, Main formats are for big races not club racing. Try QQMM or something more fun. QMMM maybe.

With larger events, at least I get to camp out and travel for a weekend. But when those larger events take all night and through the day, I'm not really interested. And taking Fridays off of work sticks as well. I think club racing will return a little. Some of these big events take up too much Vacation time.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:59 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
But it's not an issue. Our regulars don't really travel. Mostly it's just the fastest of us that travel. We'll still have 2 Ebuggy heats, 1 4x4SCT, 1 truggy, and 1 2wd something.

I'm trying to club race only every other weekend. With large events eating one of those club days, not my off day. And I'm part of a group that runs a track, so that kinda hurts a little to be away that much. RC is just taking too much of my time/effort, without enough of a reward.

Need to make club racing more appealing. Qual,Qual,Qual, Main formats are for big races not club racing. Try QQMM or something more fun. QMMM maybe.

With larger events, at least I get to camp out and travel for a weekend. But when those larger events take all night and through the day, I'm not really interested. And taking Fridays off of work sticks as well. I think club racing will return a little. Some of these big events take up too much Vacation time.

Yea I do agree big races do take to long . It all depends on how the program is ran that day and with no issues in how long the breaks are .

Like i was mentioning evenly it's going to be the other way around guys will get tried of bigger races .
Old 07-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Big turnouts breed bigger turnouts, but big events do have a point where they reach critical mass. Sometimes running all day and all night is fun, but only when the tracks have really good camping.

Sometimes too many racers, too long of days, and Diva RD's can really kill the fun of a 2-3 day event.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

What's too long are the 4 day races for club guys. Thursday practice, tough to skip this day because most club guys need more track time than you'll get during controlled practice before quals on Friday, I know I need it. Limited practice and quals Friday, Quals Saturday and Mains on Sunday. Odds are you take Monday off of work because you either get home really late or are just plain burnt out.

But to knock a big race down to just 3 days (Friday practice, Saturday Quals, Mains Sunday) Tracks and promoters would have to limit entries, and that understandably costs them money.

No real win, either deal with the long weekends or race the "smaller" 3 day races that not all the Pros attend.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Do they race all night at the 4 day events? I do prefer smaller, in my State or near it, 3 day events. I could care less about pro's.

I do prefer Friday night practice. I mean waaay late at night, under the lights. Gives racers a chance to run a multi-day event without taking work off.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Well then we can rule out indoor racing to be an attraction. Cause the barn is the best indoor track for miles around here.
KCRC on the other side of town has been doing fairly well with sunday indoor offroad racing. We are doing a point series right now and yesterday we had 63 entries. Tuesday racing on the other hand, has been fairly dead with maybe 10 entries.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Do they race all night at the 4 day events? I do prefer smaller, in my State or near it, 3 day events. I could care less about pro's.

I do prefer Friday night practice. I mean waaay late at night, under the lights. Gives racers a chance to run a multi-day event without taking work off.

Not all night, open at 8am done for the day about 8pm. So the days aren't super long, but it's still an extra day. Which means more money too, which I don't have a big deal with but it's still there.

I have fun either way, but I enjoy 3 days vs. 4.

If you have small kids that need a babysitter that factors in too.

The races are what they are and we all decide what we want to commit to. I don't think anything is really going to change.

As far as how they affect club race turnouts, other than the weekends of the "big" races they really don't. Not by me anyway. And there's only about 4 a year within driving distance. BUT that's in the winter. Now, during the summer, my track runs Oval every other week and off road the opposite weekends. PLUS a weekly Wednesday series pulling in 30 entries. Gives guys the chance to have some weekends off and not miss any scheduled racing during the summer.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Tech Prophet

We'll went to go club racing last weekend on a day when only one track was running the bigger races we're on the day before and it was not enough people to race . There needs to be more people in R/C racing somehow so that doesn't happen on club racing days . I do get that the bigger races are pretty long and people get tried the next day . I've done it a couple of times this season .

That's the main problem .
Old 08-19-2014, 04:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Region 2 (where TC5Man is racing) is the strongest it's EVER been. I have no idea how anyone could complain. You have a choice of a big race pretty much every weekend OR you can go club race at anyone of 5 tracks within an 90 min of Philly (also near where he lives).

There are people in this country who have 1 option to race and that's it. we're absolutely spoiled right now with the tracks we have. Seriously can't believe this is a problem.

And just to add, he's complaining about Big SINGLE DAY races..... not 2 and 3 day events. All of our tracks in the area (for the most part) work together and schedule a cash race, trophy race, points series race, etc.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
We'll went to go club racing last weekend on a day when only one track was running the bigger races we're on the day before and it was not enough people to race . There needs to be more people in R/C racing somehow so that doesn't happen on club racing days . I do get that the bigger races are pretty long and people get tried the next day . I've done it a couple of times this season .

That's the main problem .
Blue Diamond did a practice day, true.
Trains and Lanes was in the middle of a track rebuild
Mushroom Bowl had a cash race
Family Hobbies had a club race (OMG A CLUB RACE)
Tiltyard had the ROAR Region 2 points race
Hobby Hut had a club race (OMG 2 CLUB RACES)

seriously... you are complaining with 2 club races and 2 trophy races in our region on the same weekend. And that's not counting the Barn, G's, LCRC, Wolcott, MRRC....

Old 08-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Tech Addict

Most of the tracks race at use the QQM format. It gets the day done quicker.

What I really wish is that more club races would run one Ifmar style qual. Then a heads up heat race to get into the main, with an lcq to fill out the back of a main.

Too much qualifying is tedium on a club race day.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Im not complaining about all the tracks around it's just frustrating . Yes i know it's strong in terms with the bigger races but club racing not really on those weekends . Its been it's more than enough people to have a race or not enough and a practice day this season . Of course nobody wants to just practice on a race day you go to race .

I know in the past seasons there would be a big race somewhere else and still be enough people to have a race on a club day or the day after .

I know no track owner cant really predict how many people will show up .

Last edited by tc5 man; 08-19-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Tech Prophet

That's a good idea with that format for club racing ! Will other racers be on aboard with it who knows . That could help it grow more .
Old 08-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Tech Champion

The last thing that a racer,that wins 100% of the time, wants to see,.......is change.

All the sportsman level racers were thrilled. More racing, less pointless Q laps and wear.

Some of the pro's don't like it. Any kind of change threatens them. Some didn't like having to win 2 mains to win the overall. Even when they're way faster and pretty much a shoe in to win anyways. Funny isn't it? The only pro's that really liked it, were the generally fun to be around, pro's.

The "Mr. Serious" racers haven't had fun in this hobby in years, the concept kinda freaked them out. Not many tracks trying anything different in Ohio, ever.

I think the few racers that didn't like it are slowly coming around. The majority of our regulars love it.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We have been talking in the Michigan fb group about doing more heads up racing. 3 rounds of qualifying with only 1 main sucks for club racing. You spend all night qualifying, and if you have a bad main, get taken out, dnf, ect it feels like it was a complete waste of time. I feel that the current format is a big reason to why we are not getting new racers into the hobby. People want to race their buddies and each other, not the clock all night long. It's no longer the 70's, time to update the race format.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.