Wiki Posts
Search

Are hitec chargers any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan_vector
The higher end Hitec stuff is pretty good. Got a buddy running a hitec charger and is very pleased with it. There are better chargers out there for the money mind you... The Hyperion is a good charger as well and I'm not sure you're going to significantly benefit from the 'upgrade'.
my hyperion bit the dust. it was a small 6 amp charger, the eos0606i; i used to parallel charge packs for my hydro boat on it (slowly at 6 amps!); using it's built in AC, it smoked the AC section, so i charged several hundred more packs of all kinds from heli, micro, mini, car and is not charging correctly now; lived it's service life for sure and came to me gratis.

just ordered the hitec x4-80 DC for $129 and will use my 575w/47A HP power supply. only R/C (no more planes, helis or boats... all gone) i have now and run now at our local track/sdrc (and front yard ramps) is my team durango dex410 v3 tekin equipped 4wd buggy; have 4 set of saddle packs. will be nice to charge all at once and balanced in under a hour.

thanks for the input on hi-tec.
-Harry
Old 07-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I don't see the use of those 4 port 6 amp chargers. Yes they can do multiple packs, but in an emergency they can only do 6 amps. I would rather have a charger than can do 15 amps, and have a few batteries I can parallel charge.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ThePanda
I don't see the use of those 4 port 6 amp chargers. Yes they can do multiple packs, but in an emergency they can only do 6 amps. I would rather have a charger than can do 15 amps, and have a few batteries I can parallel charge.
i go for practice and run 4 packs then head home. i'll put the 4 packs on and be done charging. not seeing a r/c emergency anytime soon.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

The point is say you need to quickly charge a pack for a buddy to race, or you left a battery at home and needed to quickly charge one or you only have one battery.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

bugman - what size of shimming ? and I don't have one those power supply yet
Old 07-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by taztal3
bugman - what size of shimming ? and I don't have one those power supply yet
I used a 3 mm thick plastic shock bushing.

Anybody that has this charger needs to do.
You will have little warning when it shorts, the displays flicker a bit & then smoke & sparks a plenty..

Old 07-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Default agreed

The point is say you need to quickly charge a pack for a buddy to race, or you left a battery at home and needed to quickly charge one or you only have one battery.
I was "waffling" between the 200w watt/x2 and the 80w/x4 and went for the x4 for the price although it has worked out well so far. actually, first consideration was the cellpro powerlab6, which would have been better for 1/8 scale, being single port, but major output with excellent construction.

today at sdrc (beautiful large indoor clay track here in san diego) i helped out a dad with his two boys and two slash's packs charging up a nimh, and a lipo, and my two saddle packs. otherwise, they would have had to go home after a run or two. I ran 6 packs total with charging twice and they put them on the hitec x80 again and were stoked so the x80 4 port did it's deed today.

anyway, great little charger and a 45 amp power supply is perfect; mine was @ $45 on ebay shipped 5 years ago (HP server power supply converted by strick model products). charging 4 2s saddle packs simultaneously on the x80, i would not want less power supply.. it gets warm; fan is humming!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hsp-sandiego
i go for practice and run 4 packs then head home. i'll put the 4 packs on and be done charging. not seeing a r/c emergency anytime soon.
I have a Hitec x4 ac/dc charger. It works fine and charges the batteries, but it takes forever... especially 4 x 4s lipos. If you run 4 packs and go home, then no big deal. The charger concked out on me once. Hitec fixed it very quickly and under warranty. Kudos to Hitec.

Otherwise, I agree with Panda.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i use the x2-400 charger with a 1080watt power supply and can charge up to 20 amps per channel, not that i need to.

this is replacing the thunder power 820dc that bit the dust.

no complaints from me.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm running the HiTech H4 DC charger. For charging 2S at 1C it won't even break a sweat. It will run 8A per chanel and if ever needed I can bridge two of the chanels and charge two batteries at 16A.