Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Pro-line Pro-2 Thread (CHECK 1st PAGE FOR FAQs & INFO) >

Pro-line Pro-2 Thread (CHECK 1st PAGE FOR FAQs & INFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pro-line Pro-2 Thread (CHECK 1st PAGE FOR FAQs & INFO)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sduffy77
gearing depends on the motor/esc that you're using more than the truck you're putting it in. You'll want to find the recommended Final Drive Ratio (FDR) from the manufacturer. Where the truck comes into play is the transmission ratio (which on the Pro-2 is 2.72) then you can use an online calculator to determine where a good baseline is.

Typically with 17.5 you'll gear higher since you wont be running any timing on the esc. I think I had my Novak setup set to 24t pinion and 76t spur with 32 deg timing on the end bell.
Was your Novak a 17.5?

I'll be running an old Tekin RS Pro and D3.5 17.5. 78T Spur gear.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jhautz
Was your Novak a 17.5?

I'll be running an old Tekin RS Pro and D3.5 17.5. 78T Spur gear.
Yes this is from when I was running a 17.5 system. Key is to just keep checking motor temps to find that sweet spot where you're making the power you need without getting the motor or esc too hot.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

how much gearing range do you have with the 78T spur?

still not getting my truck here ... guys I think he decided to dissappear
Old 04-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Lost one of the drive pins out of my axle kit. Anyone know where I can buy them? Or if anything else will fit.
Been waiting for a response from Pro-Line customer service for a week. Guess they were all at a race for several days.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sduffy77
Yes this is from when I was running a 17.5 system. Key is to just keep checking motor temps to find that sweet spot where you're making the power you need without getting the motor or esc too hot.
Yea. I get blinky setup and tuning. Ive run 2wd buggy in blinky and 17.5 Touring car. Just wasn't sure exactly where to start with this truck and thought someone could give me a reasonable starting point. According to Novak website they say a 7.5 final drive ratio as a starting point. So I'll start there and see where to go next.

Originally Posted by Cain
how much gearing range do you have with the 78T spur?

still not getting my truck here ... guys I think he decided to disappear
No idea. Haven't gotten mine yet and its gonna take me a few weeks to get it all together I think. Not much time in the next couple weeks to work on this.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Got a few races in 17.5 blinky on mine!!! Gonna be running it in Mod for the 1st time this weekend. Heads up on the servo- Kyosho SC servo horns work the best. Pick up the spring kits and Prospec shocks if you get a chance. (Specially if your racing). I changed bodies to the proline evo also to lower its profile.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by spider882009
Got a few races in 17.5 blinky on mine!!! Gonna be running it in Mod for the 1st time this weekend. Heads up on the servo- Kyosho SC servo horns work the best. Pick up the spring kits and Prospec shocks if you get a chance. (Specially if your racing). I changed bodies to the proline evo also to lower its profile.
what was your pinion and spur combo for blinky?

looks like the deal may be back on. So will see.

Lol I picked up a buggy as I thought it was done, but now got another in the stable lol.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Just traded for one of these, traded my 22sct. The main reason is I love SCB and will be getting a conversion for the Pro2. I have the xxx-scb, but I think the Pro2 will be much more durable (I have a 3 yr old and an 18 month old) that I want to get into RC. They push, crash and jump on a Traxxas MJ Gravedigger now....lol.

Anyway, if I only race once a year, anything I should really upgrade? Plan on running either an 8.5 or Castle 3800. I have both, just depends on what is being used in other vehicles at the time...
Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

I'm at 26/78 with the slipper eliminator. I tried that gearing with the slipper locked and the heat was too much for my SMC 17.5. I have only run that at The Factory and it's a large high bite indoor track. I was hoping to run it on a smaller track but my speedo is wanting some time off unfortunately. I have the receiver behind the servo an the battery wedged up against it. Speedo is on the chassis and overall I'm happy with how it's driving other than a little more push than I want. I stiffened the truck up to 35/30 on oils because it rolls over pretty hard. Now if I can get the speedo working again I hope to get it going better.
Blake
Old 04-25-2014, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wrightcs77
Just traded for one of these, traded my 22sct. The main reason is I love SCB and will be getting a conversion for the Pro2. I have the xxx-scb, but I think the Pro2 will be much more durable (I have a 3 yr old and an 18 month old) that I want to get into RC. They push, crash and jump on a Traxxas MJ Gravedigger now....lol.

Anyway, if I only race once a year, anything I should really upgrade? Plan on running either an 8.5 or Castle 3800. I have both, just depends on what is being used in other vehicles at the time...
if you're racing that infrequently, and you will be mostly bashing the rest of the time, the stock truck is fine the way it is.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Just got my kit. Cracked open the box and there is Diff oil all over the place. Haven't torn it down to investigate yet, but I'm sure the diff is empty just judging by the amount of oil. Not a big deal except for the clean up before even getting started. I was planning on changing the diff oil to 2000 anyway for a low traction loose outdoor track. Just leaves a bit of a bad first impression.

Is leaking diff a typical problem on this truck? Any tips on how to seal it up properly?

Other than that it looks like a pretty nice kit. Looks like it should be stout. Can't wait to get into assembly, but unfortunately that won't happen until sometime next week. Wifey has a busy schedule planned for me this weekend....

Edit: Anyone try the mip slash ball diff? I assume it will fit this transmission. Maybe I'll go that route since I'm planning to run blinky. It has to be less rotating mass than a fluid filled diff.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Tech Legend

was wondering that thing too. I see MIP has a specific pro2 diff.

As for the oil issue, was it shipped via air at all anytime? I remember back in the day that with my RC8 kit I bought the diff fluid leaked all over the place due to what I was told was pressure changes. Could have been someone overfilled the diff too.

I think I am going to setup this Pro2 as a buggy for that particualr class they have around here, or close to it.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

I am running the MIP ball diff made for this truck and I do like it. My diff leaked as well. Ran it the first day then switch to the ball diff.
Blake
Old 04-25-2014, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Which ball diff? I'm only seeing the one for the slash.

No air shipment. Came from tower via ups ground. I'm only 1 day ground ship from tower in Chicago.

Last edited by jhautz; 04-25-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz
Which ball diff? I'm only seeing the one for the slash.

No air shipment. Came from tower via ups ground. I'm only 1 day ground ship from tower in Chicago.
The Pro2 uses this mip-super-ball-diff kit and it's actually listed on P-L's site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.