Wiki Posts
Search

X-RAY XB4 vs yokomo bmax4

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
LOL, seen too many B44's and 22-4's breaking at the track.
I agree the b44 arms are horrible. I have seen a very good racer break 3 arms in a night.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My buddy's yokomo can't make it through a full practice day on a small indoor track. I run my xb4 on a outdoor 1/8 track on practice days with e buggy and truggs on the track at the same time . It's been molested by a big e buggy more than once and all I have had to replace are wings. We are both crappy drivers.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dnuggett
If racing is the purpose then I wouldn't get either. I'd go for a B44 or a 22-4. Just one man's opinion.
So you are saying a yokomo or xray are not made for racing? WHat else would you buy them for :S

I have found the yokomo to be fantastic. Much better than my b44.2 (The b44.2 is in no way a bad car).
Our local track used to be dominated by xray in both mod and stock, until the bmax4 III came along. Now there is only a handful of xrays left at the track and they are being dominated by the yokomos.

The other advantage with the yokomo is that its amazing to work on. 4 screws and your diffs are out. No top deck in the way of anything either. You can also disassemble the car into 3 modules (front, centre, rear) this makes rebuilding very simple.

Your best option is to head down to your track and check out what everyone else is running and see if you can get a drive of both. At the end of the day they are both fast cars and its all down to which one suits your driving style better.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:22 AM
RCW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have not run either car. But from my experience running Xray touring cars, I have to say there quality is 2nd to none and they don't break! And believe me I tried.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Both cars are awesome. That new yokomo looks real good. I run the xray but if i could get parts, i would have got the yokomo. Metal gears and to be honest, they are both durable.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:12 AM
Tech Champion

browse both topics

note what are their weaknesses

choose what weaknesses will cause the less troubles for you

be done and have fun!

I tried to compare them myself and they are equal overall, I wouldn't say one is better than the other so it's up to your priorities
Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 AM
Tech Regular

I'm getting tired of these 'x vs y' and 'is the x better than the y' topics.

I mean, seriously. You buy a RC car based on personal preference. No one tells you if you should like the car or not. If you want to buy (and race) it, then, simply buy it.

Yes of course, there are shitty cars out there. But cars made for racers are mostly great when it comes to their quality and tunability. I mean, why would X-Ray, Associated or TLR (and many more) make shitty cars? They wouldn't sell.

Also, just check out what's being driven on your local track. If most people drive a B44 for example, it's a great choice for you: people are able to help you out with setup related stuff and maybe parts too. I mean, what if you crash and you are out of parts? Great chance that fellow racers carry the part and thus you can continue on racing.

In general, you want to buy a car based on :

- Personal preference (the most important, why drive a car which you don't like?)
- Parts availability (you shouldn't wait for parts a very long time. or if you like your exotic car that much, buy a bunch of spares)
- What are other local drivers racing (can help you with setup)

That's it basically. So, stop these fricking topics and continue posting in other more related to racing topics.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:28 AM
Tech Champion

I wouldn't be so radical.

We get your point but some drivers may have had both buggies, compared them and provide info that could be interesting for everybody reading this topic. There will always be "X vs Y" topics, we are on a forum.. the OP can't be blamed for that

Concerning the choice of running a known car, it's all relative. Now with internet you can get so much support and parts as well.. But I agree with the statement "run the car YOU like" because the final choice is subjective anyway. Trust your feeling, check on the thread of the car what are the known issues and then see. If you're honest with yourself, you know which one you would prefer. It's like with women, you wouldn't say "I like them equally".. of course you don't
Old 03-31-2014, 12:50 AM
Tech Regular

Possibly stripping diff gears (xb4) vs possibly breaking front a-arms (bmax4) from a durability standpoint....
Old 03-31-2014, 04:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ferrarieeeee
Possibly stripping diff gears (xb4) vs possibly breaking front a-arms (bmax4) from a durability standpoint....
If you're stripping diff gears in the xb4 it's because you have the slipper set incorrectly.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
If you're stripping diff gears in the xb4 it's because you have the slipper set incorrectly.
+1 almost 2 solid months of practice and racing, and nothing is showing signs of wear. Outdrives are still basically brand new, no slop in the arms, and the thing is super durable. My B44.2 was sloppy after 2 race weekends, and I don't crash hard ever.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
Uuhhhhuhhhh, and that's why they have had to update the diff bevel gear....
Before the update to the car, it was all user error too?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dennisV
I'm getting tired of these 'x vs y' and 'is the x better than the y' topics.

I mean, seriously. You buy a RC car based on personal preference. No one tells you if you should like the car or not. If you want to buy (and race) it, then, simply buy it.

Yes of course, there are shitty cars out there. But cars made for racers are mostly great when it comes to their quality and tunability. I mean, why would X-Ray, Associated or TLR (and many more) make shitty cars? They wouldn't sell.

Also, just check out what's being driven on your local track. If most people drive a B44 for example, it's a great choice for you: people are able to help you out with setup related stuff and maybe parts too. I mean, what if you crash and you are out of parts? Great chance that fellow racers carry the part and thus you can continue on racing.

In general, you want to buy a car based on :

- Personal preference (the most important, why drive a car which you don't like?)
- Parts availability (you shouldn't wait for parts a very long time. or if you like your exotic car that much, buy a bunch of spares)
- What are other local drivers racing (can help you with setup)

That's it basically. So, stop these fricking topics and continue posting in other more related to racing topics.

You are so wrong. That's why we have forums to get some info and consult with the guys...etc
If you so don't like it don't read it.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

What "info" have you really gotten from this thread? The real information about the cars is in their perspective threads . Its all there , all one needs to do is read them. Its a lot better to do that and make a decision than just poll the masses. Its certainly acceptable to ask , its a forum , but it isnt the best way to make decisions though.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by symmetricon
Uuhhhhuhhhh, and that's why they have had to update the diff bevel gear....
Before the update to the car, it was all user error too?
If he's in the market to buy a new kit then the 2014 XB4 addresses the issue of the bevel gear. At this time it's a moot point to single out the bevel gears as a possible non starter for buying the buggy, as you've pointed out it's been addressed. I've had mine for 2 months and have yet to break anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.