Motor boost from esc vs can timing.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor boost from esc vs can timing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Default Motor boost from esc vs can timing.

So today, I was talking to a guy at my local track. He said that he dials out the can timing on his motors all the way to zero. He then uses his ESC to add boost timing in without any motor timing and gears as needed.

I used to just leave my boost at 0 in mod class and turn it up on the can. I was told by using the method I detailed above it would provide a much smoother motor.

Anyone else use this method in mod class? 7.5-8.5 turn motors.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It all depends on what esc you use. The Orion is really smooth with boost and turbo unlike the tekin. The tekin hits really hard and aggressive. But some people like that.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If the track is big enough to run WOT, the turbo function (esc boost) is great. On smaller tracks where you may have only one portion of the track that is long enough, it may not help you as much.

Plus, with can timing, you constatly have it. I'm not sure about some ESC's but the Tekins require you to be at full throttle for a set amount of time before that boost licks in. 9 times out of 10, Im 3/4 of the way down the staright on our last layout before it maxed out. But it didnt help me though thru the other 7/8 of the track.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerm13
If the track is big enough to run WOT, the turbo function (esc boost) is great. On smaller tracks where you may have only one portion of the track that is long enough, it may not help you as much.

Plus, with can timing, you constatly have it. I'm not sure about some ESC's but the Tekins require you to be at full throttle for a set amount of time before that boost licks in. 9 times out of 10, Im 3/4 of the way down the staright on our last layout before it maxed out. But it didnt help me though thru the other 7/8 of the track.
But on that other 7/8 are you really wanting the extra boost that comes off the turbo setting? Or is it managed well in the mid-throttle range? I think a motor would just run hotter if you had the amount of boost that turbo added in much more than what you do now with the 1/8 of the track.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

In general esc timing is more effective than can timing when compared directly.

I don't use Turbo in offroad ever simply because we're not as consistent on the track with throttle "timing" on the track layout as the are in onroad due to traction, bumps, etc.

You would need to test this on your esc/motor setup to see if works for you.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

I run an R10pro Orion. I never use the turbo option with mod, but I was told to max the boost on the esc and turn the can to near 0 because it was much smoother. How true is this? This came from a Tekin sponsored driver btw at my local track.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Max boost? LOL No that will not be smooth.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rybeau40
I run an R10pro Orion. I never use the turbo option with mod, but I was told to max the boost on the esc and turn the can to near 0 because it was much smoother. How true is this? This came from a Tekin sponsored driver btw at my local track.
Endbell timing creates heat, boost creates heat. Having a lot of both will make your motor run hot. Can do it in a buggy but it depends on the motor. Having a lot of both will give you a wicked fast top end.

I know alot of people don't but I do like boost. 13.5 boosted in a buggy is a great setup. It's just as fast as a mod motor but you can make the bottom end a little softer.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:05 AM
Tech Regular

So with a 7.5 Tekin or 8.5 Orion, which I use in mod class 2wd buggy, what would be the best setup? Straight can timing and 0 timing on the ESC or a mix of both? I run on two decent size indoor clay type tracks.

The guy at the track that told me put the can to zero and turn the boost way up with 0 turbo swears by it. I just want to find out what's the best way to setup the mod motors in those turn ranges to get solid performance throughout the range low to higher RPM. I don't need a ton of high end RPM since it is indoors, but it also does have some straights.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i was told to use the can timing for bottom end ( torque ) and use the speedo for top end ( max speed ). I use the manufacturer recommended gear for the motor. Set the can to 0 test is out. If i need bottom end advance the timing on the can, if i need lees i retard timing. Then i work on the longest straight, setting the esc to where it kicks in where i want it to. Then i adjust the gearing if necessary. Not saying that is the correct way, but for me it works pretty well.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rybeau40
So with a 7.5 Tekin or 8.5 Orion, which I use in mod class 2wd buggy, what would be the best setup? Straight can timing and 0 timing on the ESC or a mix of both? I run on two decent size indoor clay type tracks.

The guy at the track that told me put the can to zero and turn the boost way up with 0 turbo swears by it. I just want to find out what's the best way to setup the mod motors in those turn ranges to get solid performance throughout the range low to higher RPM. I don't need a ton of high end RPM since it is indoors, but it also does have some straights.
You don't need turbo, boost, or any other kind of timing advance. A 7.5 or 8.5 is plenty of power for any track in 2wd and too much for a lot of conditions. Set the speed control to blinky (stock) mode, gear the motor right and if you want a different throttle curve, do that with the expo on your radio.