Wiki Posts
Search

1/16 track

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/16 track

So, last night my wife asked me if we could put an rc track in our back yard (yes she is amazing!) and I didnt have a good answer....but to my defense, i was in shock!

I live in a subdivision, and have a rather small back yard. There is no way to build a 1/8 or even 1/10 size track, but i was thinking of maybe something 1/14 or 1/16 size. Does anyone (who may own a mini 8ight or something similar) have any idea what a "proper" track size would be for one of these?.

Just had the wife measure it....Ive got about 34'x35' to use, would that be enough?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ctsvls2
Just had the wife measure it....Ive got about 34'x35' to use, would that be enough?
Not sure where to start, but she is a keeper

If that is what you have, then you will just have to work with it... I would say to start by marking off a track in some fashion, maybe some surveyor flags or that orange marking spray paint that they use for construction projects. See how much room it will feel like and how much yard that will leave behind. Maybe get a picture of your marked layout for some input?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ctsvls2
So, last night my wife asked me if we could put an rc track in our back yard (yes she is amazing!) and I didnt have a good answer....but to my defense, i was in shock!

I live in a subdivision, and have a rather small back yard. There is no way to build a 1/8 or even 1/10 size track, but i was thinking of maybe something 1/14 or 1/16 size. Does anyone (who may own a mini 8ight or something similar) have any idea what a "proper" track size would be for one of these?.

Reverse engineer it . Go to your local track , and measure out your favorite features , lane width etc.

if its a 10th scale track , multiply the numbers by 10 , then divide by 16 for your track.

IF the 10th scale track has 5 foot lanes , 5x10 is 50 / 16 is 3.13 ft wide . Your lanes should be 3.13 feet wide to feel the same to the driver.

If a double at the 10th track is 2 feet tall and a 10 foot gap , then ...

2 * 10 =20 / 16 = 1.25 feet tall and a 10 * 10=100/ 16 is 6.25

you will need a 1.25 tall , 6.25 foot gap to feel the same as the 10th track.

Thats how i see it . I may be wrong
Old 03-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

If you goto rcfiles dot com and look in the general section, I have a quick layout I came up with. I am thinking a 30x30 track with 6' wide lanes. I am porkchop on that forum.

If someone wants to post the pic for me, i can email it to them.

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've got a backyard track, mine is around 50' x 110' or so. I have it setup for around 12.5' lanes.

I don't think I would go any smaller than 6' lanes or so.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just got finished laying out mine. Need to put some finishing touches in it but it's drive able. Going to lay down some barriers and finish removing the rocks. Layout is great for smaller vehicles. I ran my mini 8ight and it works really great on this size track.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugenhatchie
Looks nice, I would suggest doing something about the moneymakers on the brick wall where the column part can grab and remove wheels and arms. Could be as simple as ripping a piece of lumber lengthwise at an angle to make a triangular beam so that catching on that will be more of a glancing blow than a head on smash of one wheel. Just drive them down in the dirt so they are up high enough to be where a car might make contact.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

a mini 8ight really should be run on a 1/10 size track, as it has the power.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah I've snagged that a few times and luckily just a popped ballcup was all that happened. That's a great idea with the wood wedge idea. Probably end up doing that.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ThePanda
a mini 8ight really should be run on a 1/10 size track, as it has the power.
Hmmm....that's not what I was hoping to hear.

I laid it all out today in the grass and tried to run my scte on it. It's way too tight for the short course, even with full 6 foot lanes.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugenhatchie
I just got finished laying out mine. Need to put some finishing touches in it but it's drive able. Going to lay down some barriers and finish removing the rocks. Layout is great for smaller vehicles. I ran my mini 8ight and it works really great on this size track.

so rad. over all how long is that? I am building a carpet track in my basement it's going to be 43x22
Old 03-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks! The back straight with the double is about 40ft. The widest lane is 7ft and the track narrows down to 4ft at its smallest section. Overall very fun. Definitely forces you to drive clean but there are several spots you can really get on it. Best of all when you water it the track really starts to groove up really nicely. IMO the Mini 8ight is perfect on this. A 1/16 would have been a bit to small and my 1/10 stuff is a bit big for it. Plus unlimited practice before race days lol.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeah, I plan to run mini 8's.. I plan on getting a trackmates timing system too. I plan on going 5 foot lanes. I have some friends who rock crawl who are going to get some mini's too so I will get a lot of practice