Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Serious question:  Should ROAR ban tire sauce? >

Serious question: Should ROAR ban tire sauce?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Serious question: Should ROAR ban tire sauce?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the big rc
My favorite is sweeping on off road track. Just think about that for a bit.
Think how many wives out there would freak out if they found out we are sweeping dirt off of dirt to race our toy cars on but at home never used a broom in the house.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
The very same people who support the ban will be still be using the compounds out in the parking lot ..

Impossible to enforce and only lets the sport become tainted with accusations of cheating ruining the fun.

Personally could care less what ROAR does these days.
They have little to no influence on what were doing at the track.
At least turpentine isn't popular anymore. Were you at the regionals in Salem when Shane or Scott left a set of tires in a baggie with extra turpentine and they swelled up about 2X their normal size?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by blade329
YES!!! Ban it. Talk about killing the spirit of off road. I would also like to see the saucing of track surfaces disappear as well. If you need that much traction, run carpet!!!
If you have the right material all you need to add is water. We did this for many years. Unfortunately we have slightly tainted our stuff with some other clay that didn't work out exactly as planned so we've taken to it the best we can. Outside of track changes and making our situation work we just add water.
Many places have to work with what they can get, especially on a club level.

Do you operate a track in any fashion? What kind of track material is available in your area?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by gticlay
At least turpentine isn't popular anymore. Were you at the regionals in Salem when Shane or Scott left a set of tires in a baggie with extra turpentine and they swelled up about 2X their normal size?
way back when , before you could buy traction sause ?

I made one of the first batch's of and enjoyed quite the advantage for a few months until others notice the smell on me tires.
Used

Distilled turpentine
Winter green oil
Alcohol

O yeah !
Old 02-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

way back when , before you could buy traction sause ?

I made one of the first batch's of and enjoyed quite the advantage for a few months until others notice the smell on me tires.
Used

Distilled turpentine
Winter green oil
Alcohol

O yeah !
Yep. It was always so hard to find that darn oil of wintergreen.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Legend

Portland tried to ban compounds, only to find they were still being used under the table.

Impossible to enforce a ban as cheaters would only find new ways to get around the rule with ease.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

It's all pure snake oil for off road applications.

Ban it. I'm tired of the gimmicky sales pitch leading many racers to buy it "just because everyone else is doing it".
Old 02-24-2014, 10:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I'm waiting for the TLR version of this

Old 02-24-2014, 10:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
If you have the right material all you need to add is water. We did this for many years. Unfortunately we have slightly tainted our stuff with some other clay that didn't work out exactly as planned so we've taken to it the best we can. Outside of track changes and making our situation work we just add water.
Many places have to work with what they can get, especially on a club level.

Do you operate a track in any fashion? What kind of track material is available in your area?
No, I'm not a track owner. I'm just a racer.

We have a mix of everything here in Southern California. Indoor clay, outdoor dirt, carpet, asphalt, etc.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Like said before, if you ban it for use at the tracks, people will still bag tires overnight to get the same effect out of it. If not better because the tire will have time to soak and cure in it.

If you don't use it that is fine, but the masses complaining have said NOTHING about competitive advantage, and almost everything about odor.

If that is the case, maybe ask the person by you to not use it, or move your setup? I am willing to bet everyone in here uses traction compound because "it's the only way to be competitive, with everyone else using it."
Old 02-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

As a short term track owner I allowed sauce at a track that was previously no sauce. I thought increased tire and sauce sales would be good and the increased grip would make the racers happy. While the grip and tire sales were good I just don't think it was worth it in the end.

The biggest problem is NOT KNOWING whats in the stuff. If we honestly knew what we where breathing in I could go look it up and make an informed decision. Right now we all put our heads in the sand and try and ignore it because the only racing we do during the winter is indoors and all the tracks allow saucing.

An earlier post mentioned Xylene. This is from the MSDS.

DANGER! HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. VAPOR HARMFUL. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. CAUSES SEVERE EYE IRRITATION. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. MAY BE HARMFUL IF ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. CHRONIC EXPOSURE CAN CAUSE ADVERSE LIVER, KIDNEY, AND BLOOD EFFECTS. FLAMMABLE LIQUID AND VAPOR.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Portland tried to ban compounds, only to find they were still being used under the table.

Impossible to enforce a ban as cheaters would only find new ways to get around the rule with ease.
Raced this past weekend. Practiced and set-up with no sauce and was in the low 16 sec lap times. Come race time they started sweeping and I used sauce and laps times dropped .5. So unfortunately it makes a big difference. .5 over 5 minutes is just too much time to give up when you need low 15 sec lap times to make the A.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

sauce is the band aid for poor setup and driving skills. The more traction you have the less you actually need to have skills.Most that disagree with this use sauce.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Legend

Its no aguement the chemicals used in the compounds is a safety issue.

The problem with banning is the other racers believing & accusing each other is still using .

Cheating ruins the sport more then the smell from Trinitiys old Buggy Grip or Paragon .
Old 02-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by predu
sauce is the band aid for poor setup and driving skills. The more traction you have the less you actually need to have skills.Most that disagree with this use sauce.
complete and utter rubbish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.