Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Serious question:  Should ROAR ban tire sauce? >

Serious question: Should ROAR ban tire sauce?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Serious question: Should ROAR ban tire sauce?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yes!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I'd ban it, even though yes some people will cheat...the only difficulty is when you get to the edges of it around "cleaner" vs "compound"...even simple green softens up tires!!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by stunter38
What I was saying is you can't ban one and let another in. It will just cause mass conflicts . And when the smoke clears it's still gonna be a 100 % ban or non at all. Look at the massive conflict over the trinity d 3.5 motors .legal , illegal, legal. Who the hell knows? Lol

Yea I see your point . Like I said I don't have a money tree to get a butch of diffrent compound tires so if I can get extra life out of warm tires or just plain more grip on pretty slick indoor tracks il do it !
Old 02-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Yeah either do I that's why I was upset when they banned my brand new aka tires and wheels before I got to run them . I can't even sell them because they are illegal. Then at our track we take brand new tires and sand them down to almost slicks to get traction . Nothing makes you cringe more than wearing out a brand new set of tires before they even see dirt
Old 02-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
I don't see the point to Traction compounds (well i do sorta...) but why not just have softer compounds in the first place?
Traction is more complicated than that. Softer doesn't make more grip at tracks where tire treatments are popular (often clay compounds, which are usually of medium hardness).

I'm on the ban side. It's unhealthy.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Traction is more complicated than that. Softer doesn't make more grip at tracks where tire treatments are popular (often clay compounds, which are usually of medium hardness).

I'm on the ban side. It's unhealthy.
100% agree. softer doesn't equal more traction all the time. "indoor clay" has its own set of variables that do not directly apply to outdoor tracks
Old 02-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529
100% agree. softer doesn't equal more traction all the time. "indoor clay" has its own set of variables that do not directly apply to outdoor tracks
Yep. Interesting how many people would like to get rid of the chemicals in racing.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Tech Prophet

The way i see it everything is unhealthy in the air, food,Shoe Goo, CA glue whatever so i just roll with it. I feel fine stll.

Yea i dont know man to me the tire feels softer when there is compound on them i can tell while on the track and yes with Clay compound tires. It depends on what Formula it is .
Old 02-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

in certain types of full scale auto racing, tire treatments are used to increase traction. its not like r/c invented tire sauce. so no, there should be no ban, its par for the course. noxious chemicals? whatever yo. man up. if you race nitro arent you exposed to those toxic fumes basically the entire day? stop making excuses why you arent winning or fast enough and put it all in perspective. and practice more. i never practice due to time constraints professionally and proximity/traffic in getting to track on my rare racedays. and always finish last or close to it in 17.5. but i know it isnt because someone had better grip sauce unavailable to most or because someones grip sauce gave me a headache and threw my game off. its cuz i need more time to play with my toy on the track. and thats that.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The genie needs to go back in the proverbial bottle or taken to its logical conclusion. By that, I mean we as the Off-road racing community need to either roll back stuff like tire sauce and hard pack tracks that need to be swept (that's swept as in, with brooms) between every race or switch to carpet/astroturf. This middling mid-motor, sometimes slicks thing, that lets people pretend its still dirt racing because the surface is brown doesn't really seem to working, at least not if the judging criteria is turnouts at the club level in some areas and number of new racers.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
The genie needs to go back in the proverbial bottle or taken to its logical conclusion. By that, I mean we as the Off-road racing community need to either roll back stuff like tire sauce and hard pack tracks that need to be swept (that's swept as in, with brooms) between every race or switch to carpet/astroturf. This middling mid-motor, sometimes slicks thing, that lets people pretend its still dirt racing because the surface is brown doesn't really seem to working, at least not if the judging criteria is turnouts at the club level in some areas and number of new racers.
Consider maybe its the weaker-turnout area(s) surrounding socio-economic conditions and possibly population in those respective areas in addition to possibly lacking hobby shops? As far as new racers, well this has always been a niche hobby and fromy observations tends to be males 30+ who were once a part of the hobby when it was in its infancy and caught the bug then. I see it as a niche hobby for a certain type of fella. And as unfortunate as it is for everyone who has no idea what they are missing, r/c racing will never have the mass appeal of saying skating or gaming for the younger generations. I wouldnt point fingers at well-groomed high traction tracks requiring slicks and traction compound as the impeding factors to have steady year over year growth at the club level; that is unless u can furnish hard data comparitively illustrating on road and carpet racing having booming club racing turnout in those same areas and overall as a whole.

Maybe im wrong, but just my take on things
Old 02-23-2014, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I think this is an interesting conversation, thanks for posting my link. I was sitting there with my son and started wondering if it was really worth it. I try not to let him touch the stuff, but the fumes are there. If they don't want to tell us what is in it, then that worries me.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Yep I think it should been banned
I also think full list of ingredients should be on the label if they do stay
Old 02-24-2014, 02:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I do feel like it is unsafe to use tire sauce indoors in an enclosed area. But i also believe that on some tracks it really is the difference needed to win the A or losing the B. Everyone at my track thhT are in the A group are within seconds of each other. But it wouldnt hurt my feelings if they banned it. But i dont see my track banning it bc they sell an absolute ton of it. I say if the track is not going to ban it then they need to make everyone go outside to put dope on there tires.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have no problem with it. Everyone sauces at my track and nobody complains of headaches. Then again, the track doesn't allow some of the nastier chemicals to be used, like paragon or anything with "wintergreen." The "hot ticket" nowadays barely smells at all.

No one will listen if it is banned by ROAR. The ROAR RD already has discretion to ban/control tire sauce anyway. It's in the rules. If he deems an area too small and not well ventilated enough, I'm sure he won't hesitate to ban or limit chemicals at that track for that particular event.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.