Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree11Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX2 SCT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What gearing is suggested for a 10.5? I'm going to be running on a indoor carpet track. Looked though the manual but did not see any suggestions?
Old 11-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just ordered a SRX-2 SCT from amain. Don't feel like reading thru all the pages one by one. Can someone give me the cliffnotes version of what to look for? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

I flipped through a bunch of these and did not see much in the way of must haves. So just went with a couple of the extras listed on the setup sheets. The front Alumn thing, the 20 degree brace and some different springs. Unless the plastic is really flexible I didn't see a need for the carbon shock towers. I have not seen anyone say the sway bars are a must have?

I just ordered one this weekend as well on the Amain sale.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The front sway bar may be good, depending on your track. I'm told the car has a lot of steering and leans a lot, so leveling that out a bit in the front can help with reaction and stability.

I just ordered one this weekend as well, finally, along with some springs and front sway kit. Pretty excited
Old 12-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Thinking about adding the carbon shock towers & I'm wondering how they mount?

Looking at the picture I don't see any extra bits that come with it to make up for what is included in the plastic version? The rear tower especially has a bunch of stuff like turnbuckles & chassis mounts.

Also does anyone know where I can get a metal diff nut? Will the Losi one work?

Started putting the car together last night and am amazed at how adjustable this is. I doubt I will use all of these options but its cool!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

If you guys are on FB, you should join the Serpent Spyder SC page. Lots of stuff there too.

Originally Posted by D.a.v.e
Thinking about adding the carbon shock towers & I'm wondering how they mount?

Looking at the picture I don't see any extra bits that come with it to make up for what is included in the plastic version? The rear tower especially has a bunch of stuff like turnbuckles & chassis mounts.
The shock tower just mounts right on. All of the stuff that mounts to the plastic still mounts to the CF. Wait till you get to that part in the build and it should make sense. No extra HW required.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

I finished that part last night, and don't get how the carbon tower would mount on its own? Looking at the site again it looks like I might have to replace the shock tower with this & the carbon bits? Does the front one mount without any extras?

http://serpent.com/product/500131/
Old 12-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

I finished that part last night, and don't get how the carbon tower would mount on its own? Looking at the site again it looks like I might have to replace the shock tower with this & the carbon bits? Does the front one mount without any extras?

http://serpent.com/product/500131/
My apologies. Yeah, you'd need that. On the buggy, the CF towers are part or the kit and mount to that piece. I didn't realize the plastic was a one piece thing.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

I'm going through my build slowly (as I've been sick) and just finished building the ball diff. Did anyone else have their ball diff parts covered in some sort of brown/rusty dirt or clay-like crap? I'm not sure if it's factory protective grease that caked up or what, but there were chunks of it stuck inside the cups and all over the parts. What the hell is it?

In addition, the inner diameter of one of the thrust bearing plates was pretty damn tight. I used that one as the "outer" one, under the adjuster, but I was barely able to force it on. Hrm.

Otherwise the build is going ok. A little more slop in the suspension than I was expecting from Serpent, but I shimmed what I could and it's ok. The plastic seems super meaty, but I do think it'll get sloppy just like my TLR. May need metal inserts.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
I'm going through my build slowly (as I've been sick) and just finished building the ball diff. Did anyone else have their ball diff parts covered in some sort of brown/rusty dirt or clay-like crap? I'm not sure if it's factory protective grease that caked up or what, but there were chunks of it stuck inside the cups and all over the parts. What the hell is it?

In addition, the inner diameter of one of the thrust bearing plates was pretty damn tight. I used that one as the "outer" one, under the adjuster, but I was barely able to force it on. Hrm.

Otherwise the build is going ok. A little more slop in the suspension than I was expecting from Serpent, but I shimmed what I could and it's ok. The plastic seems super meaty, but I do think it'll get sloppy just like my TLR. May need metal inserts.
I felt the truck got better with more slop.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by elex300
I felt the truck got better with more slop.
A little slop makes cars a little less edgy and a little more forgiving, which can result in a faster and easier to handle setup, I totally agree. But.. my problem comes when too much slop makes it impossible to throw on a reproducible setup. That's my biggest complaint about my 22SCT 1.0, everything got so sloppy that setting toe or camber made no sense anymore as they varied 2-3* at best.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Tech Regular

My diff stuff was clean no gunk. But I was missing the rubber washer that went on the screw for the diff and two orange shims so far. Have you had any missing parts?

I'm not so sure about the plastics used. Like you said it feels mushy next to my other serpent parts or even Losi for that matter. Also dissopointed they eliminated the carbon bits from this kit.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by metalnut

Yeah, my MM buggy diff had that stuff too. No idea but I clean my diff parts with motor cleaner first. Was a pain to get it all out though. I didn't have that problem for the thrust bearing. I'd call Serpent. You never want to force any thing in a diff. Going to making tightening inconsistent.

My diff stuff was clean no gunk. But I was missing the rubber washer that went on the screw for the diff and two orange shims so far. Have you had any missing parts?

I'm not so sure about the plastics used. Like you said it feels mushy next to my other serpent parts or even Losi for that matter. Also dissopointed they eliminated the carbon bits from this kit.
The the diff outdrives for the screw o-ring. Sometimes gets stuck in there.

The CF never came with the kit. It does come with the buggies though. I've actually heard the plastic drives better. Do any SC kits come with CF towers?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by shagino
The CF never came with the kit. It does come with the buggies though. I've actually heard the plastic drives better. Do any SC kits come with CF towers?
I don't think I've seen any out of the box with carbon but alumn is pretty common vs the plastic we see on RTR's.

After looking at the swaybars for about 20min and finding some pictures online I think I've figured out these go together. I'm going to try running with the out of the box setup tomorrow night but may try them if I get some time to practice Sunday. I'll upload some pictures to hopefully save the next guy some time.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

I don't think I've seen any out of the box with carbon but alumn is pretty common vs the plastic we see on RTR's.

After looking at the swaybars for about 20min and finding some pictures online I think I've figured out these go together. I'm going to try running with the out of the box setup tomorrow night but may try them if I get some time to practice Sunday. I'll upload some pictures to hopefully save the next guy some time.
My Durango had plastic and I'm pretty sure SC10's do too. I don't recall CF or aluminum for the Losi but I'm not positive there.

Just tagged you for a pic of the front sway bar installed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.