Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back-Yard Track

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Back-Yard Track

Hey everyone I have some land out on a farm to build a track and was looking for some pointers/advice. I'll post my drawing of my ideas in a bit. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zachloving
Hey everyone I have some land out on a farm to build a track and was looking for some pointers/advice. I'll post my drawing of my ideas in a bit. Thanks!
Make sure you hard pack and water it so you dont get dust on your cars becasue it just makes a mess.

Spread around powder detergent on the dirt so it hold water longer. Spray paint lines on top of the jumps it helps creat better defintion and its easier to see.

water the track and and sweep it off to keep it hard back and from getting dusty. Regualr dirt can make good tracks. if done right. but can get dusty and rough fast. Clay dirt makes the best tracks.

Regualar dirt also doesnt makes good jumps becasue it is what to work with and get those sharp edges. I would recormend building jumps out of wood then coving them in dirt so you can always change them around later and they make it real easy to work with
Plus you dont have to keep stacking layer on layer of dirt.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I built a dirt bike track out at my friends property. It worked but it took alot of time and the the dirt would just get muddy and hard to work with. Also the dirt would stick to the roller and the tractor. It made more problems than pros. You can call pool companies and they alwasy have dirt from digging in pools and they have no where to put it so you can ask them to have it ant hey will DROP IT OFF IN FRONT OF YOUR HOUSE NO PROBLEM! well thats how it is here in california.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the ideas! I cant post pictures yet but I have an album with a picture of my track design any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Here is my 1:10 scale track:

The 1:8 scale track in the works...:

Here the 1:10 scale track is visible in the background:

Chickens love the tiller
Old 01-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Tech Rookie

That looks cool why did you till the ground?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Roots/vines. The RC cars will eventually dig ruts down to root beds. Best just to roots them up and take them out

Last edited by BMKTW2; 01-18-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

-Build a drivers stand so it can be portable and more versatile. Place the drivers stand in an optimal area where the sun will not be shining in your eyes and the dust won't be blowing in your eyes.
-Till some clay in with the dirt so it packs better and the jumps stay together longer.
-A typical garden tractor/riding mower will work good to pack the flat sections of track by just driving over it obviously using the wheels to do the packing. You could even use it on the jumps if they're not too steep.
-If your building large jumps do it in lifts. Lay down 6" and pack, add 6 more inches and pack, repeat until you get to the desired height.
-Be sure the jumps are the entire width of the track.
If I think of anything else I will let you know.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks I hadn't thought of building the big jumps in lifts.