Wiki Posts
Search

Which Wheeler!??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lodhammerdin
The b44 is not a fragile car, learn how t drive it well and you will be just fine. Wanna talk about fragile, the xx4 2.0 is so fragile, the were breaking parts left and right at the world's and have heard from many people of the TLR team drivers not finishing races cause of shock towers and arms. I've been running my b44.2 for just about 5 months and have only broke one arm on it, that's it. I haven't even managed to strip a ring or pinion gear in the diff. If you drive right and build the car right, its a beast.

Comparing a production car thats been out for years , to a prototype car going through its real world test phase , is not a valid comparison. Do you think the b44 didnt break during its development races ? Of course it did ...
Old 01-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

I'm just getting into wheeler and have a DEX410v3 w/ the v4 universals center joints.

The only real break that i've had is the front shock tower. I guess the fine adjust towers are a wee bit fragile. Granted I did misjump and land fairly poorly.

I've had a couple other issues but they've all been user install/assembly errors with screws loosening and such.

Overall I really like the way the car drives but I've got nothing to compare it to besides by 2WD buggy and SCT.

I do like a lot of the engineering on the car with hinge pin bushings and other design elements that it seems like many of the newer cars are going with.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Durability comes down to the track most of the time. Wheelers are fragile cars. If you race on a small smooth track with small jumps and low speeds.. you probably are not going to brake very much. If you race on a large track with 1:8 scale type jumps you are going to brake more.

So someone saying "I never broke a part on my B44 in 5 months" versus someone who brakes a part a week...You really have to look at the track they are driving on and the difficulty of the track.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The b44 is not a fragile car, learn how t drive it well and you will be just fine. Wanna talk about fragile, the xx4 2.0 is so fragile, the were breaking parts left and right at the world's and have heard from many people of the TLR team drivers not finishing races cause of shock towers and arms. I've been running my b44.2 for just about 5 months and have only broke one arm on it, that's it. I haven't even managed to strip a ring or pinion gear in the diff. If you drive right and build the car right, its a beast.
Nope.. its fragile. If you sneeze on the car it will strip a ring and pinion. Compared to shuey or xray the b44 is fragile as glass. In my time of owning that car the ring and pinion stripped out every 4 heats on high bite sugared tracks. One hb car killed 2 b44s in a crash...you know what im talking about. Ive been racing my k1 hard for half a year on very high bite surfaces. Havent broken a single part. And I will agree with you absolutely that the xx4 2.0 is junk.. cant wait to see them dnf all over the place.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

We have a saying in my garage , it comes from 1/8 scale stuff , but X-Ray plastic is stronger than losi steel.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Love my XB4, awesome build and awesome car. Super fast, smooth, and very durable.

I got one when it first came out a year ago and now my chassis is completely worn out, yet I'm still on the stock parts besides wing mounts and ball cups... Just built a fresh one this past weekend and it seems like they mostly just improved the slipper and added more adjustability. Just about all they needed.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by suby723
Nope.. its fragile. If you sneeze on the car it will strip a ring and pinion. Compared to shuey or xray the b44 is fragile as glass. In my time of owning that car the ring and pinion stripped out every 4 heats on high bite sugared tracks. One hb car killed 2 b44s in a crash...you know what im talking about. Ive been racing my k1 hard for half a year on very high bite surfaces. Havent broken a single part. And I will agree with you absolutely that the xx4 2.0 is junk.. cant wait to see them dnf all over the place.
Lol, funny story, I actually sneezed on my b44.1 and it fried the esc, shot snot all over the place. Apparently its enough to short the esc when its plugged into the batter, but the car itself was fine.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Lol, funny story, I actually sneezed on my b44.1 and it fried the esc, shot snot all over the place. Apparently its enough to short the esc when its plugged into the batter, but the car itself was fine.
Hahaha yikes!! Hopefully the b44 gets a remodel like the b4. I have my b5m on preorder and am impatiently waiting.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Haha this thread is interesting, welp the B44 just sold tonight so the flood gates are open. Now I get to decide what car I want to run. Again I'm a bit brand loyal, so the 22 is still high on my list weird I know. I don't break a lot but having parts is a big deal, the few guys that run scheuy's locally have had a hard time getting parts for some reason so that kind of scares me off a bit. Not totally but it's something to think about. The X-ray looks pretty sweet, same with the yokomo. So many options haha!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

X ray is dominant here with Durango/AE coming in 2nd
Old 01-08-2014, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

I have a Durango 410 right now , and I really dont care for it . I traded for it cheap and its fun to drive, But man its always something ... Its not a class I race so its ok ,but I dont think its run a complete battery yet without an issue of some sort. Every part I have needed has taken 2 to 3 weeks to arrive, and the layout has led to many a frustration when its time to work on it .
Old 01-08-2014, 07:14 AM
TLRacing

At the Worlds ran I ran 11 heats of practice, qualifiers, and the A-Main and only broke one part! Have been running locally with no durability issues and it has been super cold at my home track. The 22-4 is really easy to drive, smooth, and you can drive at the pace you want.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dakotah Phend
At the Worlds ran I ran 11 heats of practice, qualifiers, and the A-Main and only broke one part! Have been running locally with no durability issues and it has been super cold at my home track. The 22-4 is really easy to drive, smooth, and you can drive at the pace you want.
Again, not saying I have any personal experience with the car, just stating what I have read from race reports and what I've heard from a few TLR drivers.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dakotah Phend
Thanks so much for chiming in Dakotah, if there is one thing to be said about TLR it's how vocal and willing to help you guys are. It's probably the biggest reason I drive their cars.

As far as the durability of the car, that's not my determining factor. If I can run my old XXX4 and the B44's I've had with minimal breakage I'll probably be ok. Right now I'm between the Xray, Bmax4, k1, and 22-4. I'm just curious I anyone can tell me they feel the difference would be of the Bmax and X-ray to the B44? They have similar layouts in the chassis an I don't want to spend the money to just get another B44.

Last edited by Laker67; 01-08-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

My B44.2 feels very similar to my XB4, but different at the same time.

One thing to keep in mind is my B44.2 has the AVID chassis with gear diffs so it's a bit different than stock.

The 44.2 likes to be driven hard and it excels when you do. I found my XB4 to be better the smoother I drive it...almost like a 2wd buggy. I've raced my B44.2 for many months now and my fast lap on the current layout is a 15.1xx second lap. The 2nd qualifier out with the XB4 (first one I had the wrong tires and was sliding everywhere) driving it smooth, taking it easy as I didn't have the reserves of replacement parts to fix it if I broke, I ran a 15.4xx second lap. Not that far off of a car I have hundreds and hundreds of laps with. That's impressive.

The most impressive thing to me was the fact that I didn't feel I was really pushing it either. I was so impressed with my XB4 (older version) that I have a 2014 on it's way that I should have this weekend.

Everyone is going to be different. Try and drive the one's you are looking at to see what works for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.