R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/780905-team-associated-rc10-b5m-mid-motor-rear-motor-thread.html)

SLO county race 01-20-2018 07:21 PM

Doing some club racing tomorrow. I’ll let you know how the shapeways laydown is compared to my 3 gear stand up

platgof 01-21-2018 04:48 PM

and?

SLO county race 01-21-2018 06:28 PM

I had actual car issues (fan clutch bearing went out) and didn’t get a chance to go.. closest track is 2+ hours away so once i got a new fan clutch installed the racing he already started. Next week Bakersfield RC Experince is doing a pay out race so I’m going to go to that on Saturday.

platgof 01-23-2018 06:31 PM

I was changing shock oil and the rear shock shaft was bent badly. I don't know if it was that way when I bought it,or I bent it myself. I went ahead and ordered a set of shafts for it. I was able to straighten it, but I would rather get a new one. I noticed that the shock pistons come all the way to the top, and create a lot of air bubbles. What should I use for a shock spacer and where does it go on the shaft?

SLO county race 01-24-2018 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by platgof (Post 15138305)
I was changing shock oil and the rear shock shaft was bent badly. I don't know if it was that way when I bought it,or I bent it myself. I went ahead and ordered a set of shafts for it. I was able to straighten it, but I would rather get a new one. I noticed that the shock pistons come all the way to the top, and create a lot of air bubbles. What should I use for a shock spacer and where does it go on the shaft?

I use what’s posted in the manual for my spacers if you’re referring to those?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...b85a8484ac.png

platgof 01-24-2018 07:46 PM

Thanks. I am going to put them above the spring cups to limit piston travel. I don't like shocks that go to the very top. I used 2 mm, but may just go to 1mm. To lower it I may use the internal ones as well. Do carpet racers use even thicker ones internally?

SLO county race 01-25-2018 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by platgof (Post 15139306)
Thanks. I am going to put them above the spring cups to limit piston travel. I don't like shocks that go to the very top. I used 2 mm, but may just go to 1mm. To lower it I may use the internal ones as well. Do carpet racers use even thicker ones internally?

You could also use nitro fuel tubing on the shaft to limit uptravel. Maybe you could use internally to? Just make sure whatever internal spacer you use won’t be in the way of the piston holes

platgof 01-25-2018 07:33 PM

I ordered some delrin shock mount spacers to make it smoother. The stuff is on sale for the B5M. I can't wait to run it and see how it compares to the Serpent. Hopefully this sat?

Crash217 01-26-2018 09:04 PM

Here's my b5m

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my B5M FL!

I got this buggy about 3 years ago but never built it because the local track was extremely hit and miss on being open. Then a new track opened up in town (shiftys rc, Tulsa) and after it ran consistently for a couple months I got around to building the now outdated buggy. 10 years away from RC and its still as enjoyable as ever.

Since building it i've done a few "upgrades"

MIP bi-metal pucks driveshafts
MIP aluminum diff outdrives (and i've drilled a few holes for extra lightness)
MIP 3in1 top shaft
RC SpeedSecrets narrow diff and idler gears
JConcepts carbon fiber idler shaft (its said to be more stable than stock? I cant tell a difference)
Protek RC titanium rear axle
Exotek spur gear (with Ti-screws for added bling, because, why not at this point)
Exotek slipper eliminator
JConcepts lightened wheel hexes
PolyPro pinions

I don't know if there is anything else I can do to further decrease rotating mass in the drivetrain really. But this is more than enough I think. Its a TON more spunky than stock. Its much quicker than I can drive it. (even my old Gen2 Tekin Redline/ JustStock ESC hangs with the guys running tuned Monster Max motors/High end ESC's in Losi 4.0 SR's on the straight)

Now, just waiting on a set of springs and a sway bar to come in so I can finally nip this dang traction rolling issue in the bud (i've been round and round with setup and a couple sets of tires trying to work around the traction roll, its come down to springs as the last thing on my list and trying a swaybar.

Oh, and just for kicks, I grabbed a Shapeways laydown transmission setup that I just installed this afternoon. Looking forward to getting the springs and hitting the track again next tuesday night!

TL;DR summary. Guy gets B5M, enjoys tricking out the drivetrain and fights traction roll but its all good!

SLO county race 01-27-2018 12:03 AM

I’ll be running my shapeways laydown for the first time tomorrow! Can’t wait to try it out too. If you keep your consistency in the mid to high 90s you’ll be just fine with that motor/esc combo. As they say...slow is fast!

Crash217 01-27-2018 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by SLO county race (Post 15141109)
I’ll be running my shapeways laydown for the first time tomorrow! Can’t wait to try it out too. If you keep your consistency in the mid to high 90s you’ll be just fine with that motor/esc combo. As they say...slow is fast!

SLO,
Let me know what you think of the shapeways laydown. My initial reaction was that the chassis had a lot more flex in the rear.

But of course, I'm doing a few things to the setup since the last time I drove it alongside the transmission change so the car may feel completely different or exactly the same as before, its anybodies guess!

King DORK 01-27-2018 09:12 AM

Can either of you gentlemen give me the shakedown of the shapeways parts I need to convert to lay down? I have a B5M FL. Thank you!

Crash217 01-27-2018 09:31 AM

King, PM sent because I'm too newto the forum to post URL links.

King DORK 01-27-2018 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Crash217 (Post 15141347)
King, PM sent because I'm too newto the forum to post URL links.

Got it. Thank you !

SLO county race 01-27-2018 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by King DORK (Post 15141327)
Can either of you gentlemen give me the shakedown of the shapeways parts I need to convert to lay down? I have a B5M FL. Thank you!

In the description it’s all listed. I did it in a regular B5m chassis no a FL.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z6...associated-b5m