Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree138Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justin payne
Hey all, wondering what your opinions are with the schelle ceramics vs. the avid ones. Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences.
Waste of money IMO.... and this is coming from a guy that buys a LOT of crap for his RC cars Just run either the protec brearings from amain, or avids, and call it a day.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justin payne
Hey all, wondering what your opinions are with the schelle ceramics vs. the avid ones. Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences.
Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Waste of money IMO.... and this is coming from a guy that buys a LOT of crap for his RC cars Just run either the protec brearings from amain, or avids, and call it a day.
I built my b5m with the standard Avid bearings ($1 a bearing), I took the seals out, blew the grease out, lightly oiled them and was happy. A few months down the road I got a set of the schelle ceramics and it was night and day difference. Just in your hand you can feel the difference. They are a great upgrade for stock guys, mod....who cares...but stock racing you will want them.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:05 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
I built my b5m with the standard Avid bearings ($1 a bearing), I took the seals out, blew the grease out, lightly oiled them and was happy. A few months down the road I got a set of the schelle ceramics and it was night and day difference. Just in your hand you can feel the difference. They are a great upgrade for stock guys, mod....who cares...but stock racing you will want them.
Were you comparing rubber sealed bearings to metal shielded bearings? Big difference there. The only advantage I can find in ceramic bearings, is that they don't need to be replaced nearly as often. But my gearbox is apart often enough that I don't really care.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have factory b5m lite bearings now. Im looking at the schelle kit which i beleive is metal sheilded on both sides. I think avid kit is only sheilded on one side.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Were you comparing rubber sealed bearings to metal shielded bearings? Big difference there. The only advantage I can find in ceramic bearings, is that they don't need to be replaced nearly as often. But my gearbox is apart often enough that I don't really care.
That may be it then...i was comparing the cleaned $1 avid bearings to the schelle ceramic.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I had a couple friends ask for my setup after running my car. I dont think there is anything magical about it, but I thought I would post it. Keep in mind, I run on high bite damp clay, but it might be mildly useful to anyone coming to SRS for nationals. The keys to any setup at SRS will be tires, foams, tire prep and tire/foam breakin. I had a few people that were complaining about traction levels. I lent them my tires and they seemed to feel their cars were much more planted. Remember buying the same tires as another guy, does not mean you have the same tires as another guy. YMMV
I'm interested in this because I have never had the opportunity to drive on a track where slicks are the tire of choice.

are Red/yellow springs pretty common?
Old 07-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carter Flotron
I'm interested in this because I have never had the opportunity to drive on a track where slicks are the tire of choice.

are Red/yellow springs pretty common?
locally yes. most even go orange/yellow. I drove a friends "Lite" kit with box stock setup, aside from xrings and it was very mushy. But yes, it is very common to go stiffer locally.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I am picking up a B5 here soon to do a little offroad racing while we still have some sun and I was wondering what people's impressions are about the Takshima shock bodies. Are they worth the money?
Old 07-27-2015, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadB.
I am picking up a B5 here soon to do a little offroad racing while we still have some sun and I was wondering what people's impressions are about the Takshima shock bodies. Are they worth the money?

Eh.....they're ok. You really don't need anything if you buy a lite. I have the Kashima coated shocks in a few of my cars and while you can [barely] feel that they are smoother, its not night and day. If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, then by all means, get em. Its like anything else, what you want isn't always what you need. I have several B5Ms and that are all set up the same but a couple of them have fancier upgrades and if they are all well serviced my laps times are pretty much the same.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:29 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
That may be it then...i was comparing the cleaned $1 avid bearings to the schelle ceramic.
The rubber shielded bearing (even just one side) adds measurable drag to the bearing. Double metal raced bearings are better, but need to be cleaned or replace more often.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
Eh.....they're ok. You really don't need anything if you buy a lite. I have the Kashima coated shocks in a few of my cars and while you can [barely] feel that they are smoother, its not night and day. If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, then by all means, get em. Its like anything else, what you want isn't always what you need. I have several B5Ms and that are all set up the same but a couple of them have fancier upgrades and if they are all well serviced my laps times are pretty much the same.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

The rubber shielded bearing (even just one side) adds measurable drag to the bearing. Double metal raced bearings are better, but need to be cleaned or replace more often.
In the B5M lite has the rubber sealed bearings but the rubber is only one one side. So it would be better to replace these with just the metal shielded ones? I was going to order the ceramic ones for the transmission soon.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:10 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by carcrazy699
In the B5M lite has the rubber sealed bearings but the rubber is only one one side. So it would be better to replace these with just the metal shielded ones? I was going to order the ceramic ones for the transmission soon.
It's totally up to you.

The rubber seal protects a tiny bit better from dirt, but causes a little more parasitic drag. The all metal shielded bearings spin more freely, but let in a little more dirt. So the metal shielded bearings need to be cleaned more often, or replaced more often.

I run all metal shielded, and replace more often. YMMV
Old 07-27-2015, 10:12 PM
JDe
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just flick the rubber seals out of the on sided bearings, have the open side facing inward away from dirt. Easy to clean, roll for days and just stay on top of them to make sure they are rolling ok.

Edit: Why wont someone make labyrinth seals on Rc Car bearings already!?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

The bearings in your Lite are fine. Don't bother. 99% of racers wouldn't benefit from replacing the FT bearings. That's my slow expert/good sportsman opinion. Like I said a couple of posts ago, the Lite is ready to rumble out of the box. In all reality you shouldn't need anything more than some skills and a good set up to win some races

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.