Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree141Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Is most everyone running shortys instead of saddle/squares?
Old 11-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Graham11
Well a Factory Team Associated driver did it for me so cant imagine he would advise me to do something that doesn't work and/or would damage my car. And it wasn't set loose for throttle control, its set loose for traction control and yes that is what a slipper is designed for, the slipper reduces wheelspin as the car accelerates from low speeds, so the car accelerates faster and is less prone to spin out exiting turns on slick tracks. Additionally and more obviously the slipper reduces sudden forces on the inside of the transmission.

But the issue is my brakes.
Seems the slipper would have to be way loose to have much impact on braking. There is less weight on the rear tires under braking than when accelerating with a 2wd. Typically a 2wd needs the brakes turned down with the ESC/radio quite a bit to prevent excessive lockups, at least in my experience with various brands of each component. Way too loose in my opinion, I'd be concerned the slipper would heat up and be inconsistent over the run.

Of course that's not what you asked, but it's easy enough to test, just tighten the slipper some and see if the brakes improve.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

100% shorty at our local track. OCRC, home of the Reedy Race.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well a Factory Team Associated driver did it for me so cant imagine he would advise me to do something that doesn't work and/or would damage my car. And it wasn't set loose for throttle control, its set loose for traction control and yes that is what a slipper is designed for, the slipper reduces wheelspin as the car accelerates from low speeds, so the car accelerates faster and is less prone to spin out exiting turns on slick tracks. Additionally and more obviously the slipper reduces sudden forces on the inside of the transmission.

But the issue is my brakes.
Actually a slipper clutch is not designed for traction control at all...

The slipper clutch protects the drive train. It slips in order to protect the drive axle joints and the gears in the gearbox from overloading while slaming on the brakes after landing from a jump
Old 11-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlanHall
Is most everyone running shortys instead of saddle/squares?
I honestly think it really depends on the class. It seem a lot of people in mod are using the SQ pack or saddles and in stock shorty packs.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lbckevin
100% shorty at our local track. OCRC, home of the Reedy Race.
I didn't think many would use RM out there.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team Pink
I honestly think it really depends on the class. It seem a lot of people in mod are using the SQ pack or saddles and in stock shorty packs.
We run mod. I've only ran one day with a saddle and really liked the car.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Pardon my ignorance here, but building my B5M after switching from another brand. Building the shocks, and the spring cups have different lengths. I assume this is the "offset" the manual talks about, but where is this offset measured from?

Thanks!
Seth
Old 11-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 3D-Seth
Pardon my ignorance here, but building my B5M after switching from another brand. Building the shocks, and the spring cups have different lengths. I assume this is the "offset" the manual talks about, but where is this offset measured from?

Thanks!
Seth
Just use the spring cups that give you plenty of thread in both directions on the shock body when your car is at race-ready right height. Takes 3 seconds to swap them. Without looking.. i think the medium ones?
Old 11-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thebombster
Actually a slipper clutch is not designed for traction control at all...

The slipper clutch protects the drive train. It slips in order to protect the drive axle joints and the gears in the gearbox from overloading while slaming on the brakes after landing from a jump
I think some people use it as a traction tune when the track is loose and throttle finger is heavy though that may not be the intended purpose it is there. I know when our track gets loose a few guys start loosening their slipper.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey guys, had my first run last weekend with my b5m and seems I have very weak braking. I know its not the electronics because I tried different esc, motor, receiver. I am running a gear diff and the slipper was set loose because of traction. I think i remember hearing a loose slipper can cause weak brakes but just wondering how to get good brakes and also let the slipper slip coming out of turns.
If you've ruled out the car electronics and the slipper isn't so loose it's about to fall off, then look at your radio end points, dual rate, and make sure it's calibrated to your speedo correctly. Also check the brakes programmed into the esc.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Everyone has given great suggestions to fixing your brakes. If none of it works the only other thing it could be is your diff. If it is installed backwards they can loosen up significantly. I know it sounds dumb but apparently it can happen. The diff nut should be on the drivers side of the car
Old 11-22-2014, 02:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skeeter36
Everyone has given great suggestions to fixing your brakes. If none of it works the only other thing it could be is your diff. If it is installed backwards they can loosen up significantly. I know it sounds dumb but apparently it can happen. The diff nut should be on the drivers side of the car
The thrust bearing hex should be opposite of the spur gear not on the same side
Old 11-22-2014, 04:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default rcshox garolight slipper

So im running the b4 2 disc , garodisc slipper. What is the best way to adjust? Im having a hard time. It seems that its loose where it should be, but once warmed up its like its locked. If i loosen it a hair then it just slips. Any advise?
Old 11-22-2014, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm not new to RC so thanks for all the suggestions but I've tried all radio, esc, motor, basically all electronic stuff. So that is why I came here to ask about the b5m specifically and I'm not here to argue about the purposes of slippers, yes it does help with drivetrain impact as I said as well but it also helps w traction control whether you want to use it that way it is up to you but all that aside, still can't figure out my brakes haha, as I mentioned I'm not running a ball diff, just put a gear diff in, first time using a gear diff in a 2wd, can these be put in backwards and effect brakes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.