Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most ridiculous question ever....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Factor in the postage and time and it's really not worth it. Not to pry, but if you're young and a student, maybe you can get a short term job for the holidays (assuming you're not fully employed at the moment). Even at minimum wage, at 20 hours a week, you'd have the car soon enough.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
Factor in the postage and time and it's really not worth it. Not to pry, but if you're young and a student, maybe you can get a short term job for the holidays (assuming you're not fully employed at the moment). Even at minimum wage, at 20 hours a week, you'd have the car soon enough.

Im active duty military (marine corps). Have 2 kids and a wife so money is usually tight. Tax season is coming so if i can hold off 4 months then i can afford one. I just got back from afghanistan(third time!) and am trying to get back into racing for my son and I.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirWrecksalot
Im active duty military (marine corps). Have 2 kids and a wife so money is usually tight. Tax season is coming so if i can hold off 4 months then i can afford one. I just got back from afghanistan(third time!) and am trying to get back into racing for my son and I.
Thank you for your service! Buy the kit. Good luck racing with your son. I'm a vet from a very long time ago and started my sons racing when they were 5 and 7 20 years ago.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirWrecksalot
I was searching around ebay and couldnt help but notice that some mugen mbx7 eco parts were selling fairly cheap. I am honestly thinking of starting a build and ordering each part individually, making sure to get the best deal on each. Has anyone tried this? Any advantages/disadvantages? Seems like it might be fun.
I know a racer locally that has and continues to do just what you are talking about.

It can be done, but will take a very long time to do, cheaply. Not to mention all the hours spent trying to find all the cheapest deals out there. For me, and it seems, most others, it's not worth doing. That said, it can be done, but should it be done is probably a better question.

I know that last car the guy I know built up that way was the 1st gen Serpent 1/8th Nitro buggy. Took him pretty close to 6 months to find/buy all the stuff. I want to say the total cost was pretty good (maybe close to 1/2-2/3 of new kit), but for sure not the way I would have gone. If you want a challenge and have a ton of time to kill, it'd probably be fun to try, but I agree with most others saying not to go that route.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The reason that these parts are on ebay are that sellers acquire kits and break them up to sell the parts for a profit. You''ll never come out ahead buying this way.

If money is tight, it's worth looking at last gen kits. Usually when a new kit comes out, the old kit gets sold off at fire sale prices. In the case of Mugen, Kyosho, Losi, AE, etc. these last-gen kits are usually excellent runners that will remain quite competitive, especially when you consider how well the available setup information for them is.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)

Just buy new.

/thread.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

there's no way you can piece a kit together cheaper. the shipping alone will cost you 1/2 of the price of a kit. it's actually cheaper to buy 2 kits and make one a parts car.
I mean sheesh some of the guys on here are selling their complete car for about 1/2 of a new one all the time.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

People on ebay buy kits and part them out to make a profit.

How are you gonna do the opposite and save money?