Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Building the perfect stock buggy...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Building the perfect stock buggy...

As the title says, I want to build a buggy to race stock for indoor season this winter. I am thinking something mid motor with the Tekin Just Stock setup. I know MIP has the new Puck stock racing stuff too. If you were to build a buggy for stock racing, what would you pick?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:01 PM

Default buggy

I would choose a b4.1or b4.2 cause of all the parts u can buy for it.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I'd buy a 22 2.0 deck it out to lighten it up then slap in the new Tekin RS Spec and a Revtech Killshot.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Unlimited budget?
Rb6 + titanium screw +tekin rs(not pro or rsx, they are heavy) + shorty pack + d3.5 if ur track allow + a low profile servo + some good tires (HB pink beams for indoor clay)...
Old 10-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jsrocket13
I'd buy a 22 2.0 deck it out to lighten it up then slap in the new Tekin RS Spec and a Revtech Killshot.
Then decking it out you wont. It comes with all the alum goodies. If your going get one those I would put all the plastic bits back on it and get the alum driveshafts fo sho.

I would say b4.2 because you can get alot the alum oval bits, and slipper eliminator. Alot stuff for it if you look.

I find my Hobby Pro prs1 v2 to be very good in stock.

and ofcourse all the light weight eletronics as mentions right above

But then again stock is all about keeping the momentum up in the corners.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

If you want mid motor and $$$

rb6 donor car, a vega elite rb6 conversion, killshot 17.5 HT/HT, lrp flow or hw stock 3.1, 16ga wiring, tires, open cell foams, aka rims, MIP pucks system for lightest driveline, if track allows, soft pack 2s or shorty, ko RX, ghea pistons, exotek aluminum bits for durability in front (rears aluminum in the vega), titanium TB, titanium screw kit of course. I am probably missing something in this I feel hehe
Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Durango DEX210 with a carbon chassis and ti screw kit. Shorty servo, Ti turnbuckles. All wires as short as possible (copper is HEAVY). Skinny shocks as the big bore shocks add a bit of weight. Don't buy any alloy parts as that stuff weighs more than the plastic it replaces.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

X6 Cubed - A purpose built mid motor car and a very light one at that. Run Avid ceramic transmission bearings and aluminum top shaft with the Triad slipper. D3.5 motor is still better for 17.5 offroad than a Killshot as it makes a bit more torque.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

How many here have 17.5 classes where the comp is so fierce that you have to spring for lightened drivetrain parts, ceramic bearings, modded chassis, etc. to be competetive?

One of the guys I race with locally took down 17.5 at Motorama with nothing more than a B4.2 (might even have been a .1). No special parts, no fancy motors or batteries, just consistiency.

Learn to drive efficiently and consistiently, and ALL of the cars mentioned will be deadly effective. There's no need to drop $$$ on speciality parts/cars/etc. until your driving is flawless and you're looking for tenths and thousanths, instead of seconds.

Get a car that suits your driving/tuning style, and blow the rest on tires, springs and track time.

Last edited by t0p_sh0tta; 10-09-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
How many here have 17.5 classes where the comp is so fiece that you have to spring for lightened drivetrain parts, ceramic bearings, modded chassis, etc. to be competetive?

One of the guys I race with locally took down 17.5 at Motorama with nothing more than a B4.2 (might even have been a .1). No special parts, no fancy motors or batteries, just consistiency.

Learn to drive efficiently and consistiently, and ALL of the cars mentioned will be deadly effective. There's no need to drop $$$ on speciality parts/cars/etc. until your driving is flawless and you're looking for tenths and thousanths, instead of seconds.

Get a car that suits your driving/tuning style, and blow the rest on tires, springs and track time.
exactly my thoughts

pick any car that you are consistent with, if you need titanium screws to get faster then you're not far from being a world champ anyway
Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Composite craft foam core carbon fiber chassis, Andy's Arm's, Team pit stop chain drive trannie, Kyosho Gold shocks, A&L steering, Tecnacraft tie rods, MIP..... etc and then 20 hours with a dremel.

oh sorry
musta been dreaming about 1989
SNAP OUT OF IT MAN !
Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
Composite craft foam core carbon fiber chassis, Andy's Arm's, Team pit stop chain drive trannie, Kyosho Gold shocks, A&L steering, Tecnacraft tie rods, MIP..... etc and then 20 hours with a dremel.

oh sorry
musta been dreaming about 1989
SNAP OUT OF IT MAN !
Actually I don't think that's a half bad way of thinking about it. Stock class is all about utilizing the power you have which means super light weight while not breaking. A light car is definitely an advantage when power is low.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

How many here have 17.5 classes where the comp is so fierce that you have to spring for lightened drivetrain parts, ceramic bearings, modded chassis, etc. to be competetive?

Hell as noted in the B4.2 thread I'm going to have to add 40g to my B4.2 to get it UP to the minimum weight. Now I do have a few lightweight goodies on it but no special chassis or outdrives or CVDs.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

B4.2 - JC Ti TB's - JC Rod Ends - Avid Steering bell crank - Lunar RC aluminum rack - Avid Motor centering kit - Avid ESC Shelf - Low Profile servo (airtronics here) - HW JuStock esc - Trinity d3.5 17.5 (OR Big Blue Bad Ass, if your track allows) - Proper gearing - Proper tires - No Mistakes

If you want to get crazier with the build.

Lunsford Ti shock standoffs - Lunar RC lightened outdrives - Lunar RC lightened idler gear - Avid Triad slipper (shaves 25g in rotating mass)
Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

And on that same note track time track time track time.... I cant do it like i used to. But if you can learn to drive a car decently fast when it is not exactly setup right you will win alot of races. Maifield is a Prime example of that. All those goodies are just a way to make you think your faster.... Drive it like you stole it.... with control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.