NEW Yokomo Off Road Buggy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW Yokomo Off Road Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:19 AM
Tech Addict

The yokomo is'nt out and you are bitching about it being fragile ?

Looks pretty strong to me, I held a couple and have seen them race, awesome cars. I'm expecting it to do really well next year.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What a laugh.

Academy SB sport????

Where did that finish at the Worlds??? LOL

Last edited by The Fuhrer; 11-02-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
However, judging from the construction of the Yokomo, being similar to that of its onroad siblings (BD & SD-LCG), it would seem that they have gone in the opposite direction; fragile costly machines.
Don't knock cars unless you have ran them. I ran a BD and put it through hell and all I ever damaged was the cheap hinge pins. Yokomo has gotten away from old SD frailty. As far as cost goes they are definitely some of the cheaper ones (<415's, Evo 4, Cyclone, FK05 *after you buy the battery strap). I'm excited to see them back in the 4wd market, especially since we got a new HUGE track here in Memphis. Now I can have fun with this when it is released and my 1/8th.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Okay, so I may be a bit harsh and premature on my judgement of the Yok's durability. I too have loved Yokomo for years. What you think the first three letters in my name is about?

Its just that the new Yok looks a bit skinny up front. In fact, I showed my ZX-5 to some folks at my local track and they also commented that it looks a bit skinny on the front of the chassis also and that it may be a potential problem spot.

What I really want to emphasize is cost. This was the reason for many to stay out of 4wd electric.

As for the Worlds (correct spelling), who cares what ran at the Worlds. No matter who won with whatever in 4whl, it still didn't change the fact that the average club track has 2/3 truck and 1/3 2whl buggy on race nights. Plus whatever 4whl for guys to bash around on practice days.

Yes, Academy was not at the Worlds because they don't have a race program with paid drivers like Pavidas, Easton and so on. However Associated was at the Worlds with drivers for their 2whl car but no 4 whl car so whats with that??? Here you got a company with a car but no drivers and a company with drivers but no 4whl buggys. Maybe these guys should get together? (not likely, unless you stamp "Thunder Tiger" over Academy)

Anyways I am forgetting that this is a forum about the new Yokomo. So I' ll end with this, hopefully Yokomo may put out a more economical version such as one with a "molded" chassis like the CGM line for the SD along with "molded" shock towers.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'd have to agree with YR4, who cares what won at the worlds. Your forgetting that at the worlds there were a number of chassis on the track finishing within mere seconds of each other. The driver is really the determining factor. I also agree with him that there should be standard versions of these 4wd's as well so the average guy can actually afford to buy one. I'm certain that this new Yok. will be in the $350+ range, which is insane. So how is the 4wd class supposed to grow when the cost of just the chassis alone is so high, after all a RC10B4 team can be had for only $180, and its competitive. If these companies could come out with cars that had a price of around $250 for a competitive chassis then it would be alot easier for people to get into the 4wd class. I sure would love to get into 4wd, but not if a chassis is going to cost me $350+. /endrant
Old 11-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If the Yokomo wasn't in the top 3 at the Worlds, would there be as much hype about it?

Saying that, the ZX-5 didn’t make the A main but it's an awesome car in great demand.

I'm sure I've seen Academy pics from the Worlds, with saddle packs similar to BJ4.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:17 AM
Tech Addict

the zx5 was in the A for a while, i think 2 of them were ? not sure which final they ended up in, but they proved that a lot of hard work pays off.
And its an awesome value car.

You dont get top cars without teams of drivers, so what did well at the worlds does indeed matter..

Last edited by oople; 11-03-2005 at 02:41 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:06 AM
Tech Adept

Academy sells the SB Pro for around $250 and it is a decent car. The ZX-5 is supposed to sell for less than $300.
4wd will always be more expensive than 2wd because there is more to it. Just like most TCs are in the $250-300 range. The price will probably go down since there are alot more contenders to the market and more people want to race them.
The BJ4,Durango, and X-10 are not able to be massed produced like the others yet and are newer designs from small companies.
No matter what 4wd you go with you will have a competitive design and then all you have to worry about is driver error and setup.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

All I can say is that I hope Yokomo follows Kyosho's lead in releasing their 4wd to the market. When we first saw the Kyosho ZX-5, it was in full carbon fibre plate form with alum. parts. After that, Kyosho re-introduced the car in the form that we see it in today which is now a hit and a great value. So there's still a chance that Yokomo will follow and do the same.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:52 AM
Tech Addict

"I would prefer a little more alum. and CF where it is needed."
Thats your comment in reference to the Kyosho zx5 yr4dude..

no one is arguing that there should be cheaper cars out there to get people racing more 4wd, but, there already are those cars about.. Hopefully there will be more and that can only be a good thing.

but to come on here and "diss" a car because it looks like it will be expensive, and at the same time elsewhere you express your desire for the kyosho to come with more expensive parts !? its a little rich.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Actually, the price of the new LAzer, Losi 4wds, and hopefully the new Yokomo is NOT that expensive - when compared to their touring car cousins

It amazes me that the "average" price for the top TC's is now over the US$400 mark - and thats with lower parts count and smaller parts (ie: less material used).

So I don't think price is a big issue except maybe with cars like the Pred or BJ, but as they produced in smaller numbers you'd expect that.

4wd will never be as popular as 2wd, regardless of how cheap the cars are, simply because they are always going to be more fragile than 2wds and they'll always require more maintenance.

I'm just glad that all these new 4wds seem to have renewed the interest in off road again. Now all we need is a bit more variety in 2wd
Old 11-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by oople
"I would prefer a little more alum. and CF where it is needed."
Thats your comment in reference to the Kyosho zx5 yr4dude..

no one is arguing that there should be cheaper cars out there to get people racing more 4wd, but, there already are those cars about.. Hopefully there will be more and that can only be a good thing.

but to come on here and "diss" a car because it looks like it will be expensive, and at the same time elsewhere you express your desire for the kyosho to come with more expensive parts !? its a little rich.
Okay, here it goes.

I didn't come here to "diss" the car at all. My comment on the car's expected cost is about the sport of 4wd in general as a benefit for others.(ie. "BIG Picture") I have no problem in affording anything that Yokomo comes up with be it $400 or $500. If I want it, I will have it. However, it certainly would be No Fun to run at the track when there is no one else to run against.

My desire for more "expensive" parts to upgrade "MY" car is simply for the benefit of "ME". Just because there are pricey options available for a baseline car doesn't stop someone on a budget from buying a baseline car.

So in the case of the Yokomo, hopefully there will be a "Molded" (CGM like) chassis for around $250 - $300 and a full on Worlds kit for $450 on up. Thats what I am saying!! (I'll comment more about the Kyosho on the other site)
Old 11-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bender
Actually, the price of the new LAzer, Losi 4wds, and hopefully the new Yokomo is NOT that expensive - when compared to their touring car cousins
I bet you can expect to pay more for the Yokomo in the US. I think the price will be arround the same as the newest Yokomo TC's released. But it will be a significant amount cheaper in Japan $70-100 cheaper is my estimate. As a side note the price diference is nothing like team associated cars in Japan. Japans list price for all AE car kits and parts is just shy of double the US price. Just eel lucky the Yokomo prices in the US are not like that