Wiki Posts
Search

Older models really outdated ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Docrc
A "new racer" is better benefited by investing in quality electronics, that may last them a number of years. What car they start with matters little, as they won't be competitive regardless what they run while they're learning not to crash.
This is why new racers should always be steered towards quality used gear instead of cheap, new gear if they are on a limited budget. That same racer will be much happier down the road when he doesn't have to spend more money on a new ESC/motor because he bought a cheap sensorless combo and now wants to run stock.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Everybody knows that when a new car comes out, the old one simply stops working.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ImageX
Everybody knows that when a new car comes out, the old one simply stops working.
Or the parts are horribly incompatible/impossible to find.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I don't run that often so I just stayed with my XXX platform. When I am less competitive in the same race scene now, it is driving practice, not my equipment that holds me back. When I am driving better, I am just as competitive among all of the newer cars as I was when my car was current.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm an AE Fanboy. I'll admit it. If I am in the market to buy a new car for a new class, then I will usually get the newest model, rather than buying last year's model used, or at a slight discount from the LHS.....but if I already have an older version of the same car, I often don't see a need to upgrade. I have a TC5R, and with my abilities, I see no real need to upgrade to a TC6, TC6.1, or anything else, as long as I can still get parts. I have upgraded a few parts along the way, but don't feel the need to get the newest model.

On the flip side....
I have had an SC104x4 since they were still on Pre-Order through most of the online retailers. I have done many upgrades to it (that eventually worked their way into the FT version) and have won my fair share of races with it, racing against mostly SCTE 1.0.

One practice night, our local fast guy let me drive an SCTE 2.0 that he was setting up for someone. After a few laps getting used to his radio, I was a full second per lap faster with it than I was with my SC104x4. Great, right? But that's not comparing apples to apples.....well, without coming down off the driver's stand, he had me bring in the 2.0, turned it off, turned on his own personal 1.0 and sent me back out on the track. Both were running essentially the same electronics, with a similar setup, yet I was fighting the truck more. It just wasn't as consistent or predictable. One one hand, I attributed that to worn out parts, but then I remembered who owns the truck and a) he just DOESN'T crash, and B, he takes phenomenal care of his stuff.

With that above experience, if I had an SCTE 1.0, I would have run out and bought a 2.0 that same day.

In fact, I almost did....

So, long story made short - do your research, and if you get an opporunity, DRIVE the new one. Sometimes, it really does make THAT much of a difference. Not often, but sometimes.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Docrc
A "new racer" is better benefited by investing in quality electronics, that may last them a number of years. What car they start with matters little, as they won't be competitive regardless what they run while they're learning not to crash.
THIS!

Get a good radio and a good speed control. Decent steering servo (go for one with more torque, not more speed. Too fast and it gets twitchy. A higher torque will hold up better when you crash your front wheels into things.)

Get a cheap but reliable motor. You don't need something that is 0.3% faster than the next model...you're going to be turning your throttle down anyway....
Old 09-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I believe that money spent going to the track and practicing is a better outcome than just buying the newest kit and thinking it will do all the work for you.
As for production kits...
Our hobby is an endless research and development for a better product much like full scale racing...any kits that are released as a 2.0 etc are for a reason. The company has spent many hours and dollars testing and it is all to bring our hobby to a higher level.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Gotta guy at my local track driving a traxxas bandit MURDERING Rb6s, b4.2s and 22's in the stock class. Gets them by at least a lap.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

First thread I looked at this morning. Great thread. Puts a lot of things into perspective for me as I'm a "buy all the new kits on release day" kinda guy
Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JasonR/C
First thread I looked at this morning. Great thread. Puts a lot of things into perspective for me as I'm a "buy all the new kits on release day" kinda guy
I agree with you that it is nice to have the newest gear but if you are not familiar with the kit you may as well buy an rtr version.
I am still trying to work all of the adjustments on my Kyosho fs2 ..but i would rather get that dialed before i go out and buy a new kit that i know nothing about at all.
Kits made by large companies these days are far more elaborate than the earlier years and I believe that research before buying a kit is essential. Sometimes you will take several months to get a kit sorted to your driving style and preference ...next thing there is a new kit out and you feel the pressure to upgrade.

Meanwhile... The guy that stuck with the original kit has got it dialed and you are running something you know nothing about.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

+1 good thread and good points ...as long as you give your current ride a fair chance .... practice, maintenence,set-up then upgrade or try a different brand
Old 09-20-2013, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rkhess
+1 good thread and good points ...as long as you give your current ride a fair chance .... practice, maintenence,set-up then upgrade or try a different brand
With you on that one !
I cant seem to make a decision on what i like to drive the most.
For me every company has it's advantages and downfalls.
Where other companies are focusing on buggies they lack the effort in other areas like SCT and stadium truck...Which i 100% understand.... they can not work on everything at once, hence why people like myself own kits from multiple manufactures.
If a company has released a 1.0 and then release a 2.0 it usually goes one of two ways.....
Spend the money to upgrade to a new kit (and start all over) or just persist with your beloved ride and show em it can be done
Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by carbons2k
Gotta guy at my local track driving a traxxas bandit MURDERING Rb6s, b4.2s and 22's in the stock class. Gets them by at least a lap.
That i gotta see! Do not doubt it though
Old 09-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
THIS!

Get a good radio and a good speed control. Decent steering servo (go for one with more torque, not more speed. Too fast and it gets twitchy. A higher torque will hold up better when you crash your front wheels into things.)

Get a cheap but reliable motor. You don't need something that is 0.3% faster than the next model...you're going to be turning your throttle down anyway....
I understand everything you've mentioned, except the radio part. A number of guys using rtr radio's have mentioned they want to go to one good radio for all of their cars. Do better radio's provide any tangible benefits besides better feel in your hands?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devin
I understand everything you've mentioned, except the radio part. A number of guys using rtr radio's have mentioned they want to go to one good radio for all of their cars. Do better radio's provide any tangible benefits besides better feel in your hands?
Much better response time, better adjustability for track and conditions (dual-rate, exponential, ABS, servo transit speed) comfort, and ergonomics.

If you haven't had an opportunity to try out a decent radio (I like Airtronics stuff) you really need to do yourself a favor and try one. It made a huge difference for me in both bashing and racing. Way more control, way more smoothness, way more comfort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.