OFNA Ultra LX2E Lightening tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFNA Ultra LX2E Lightening tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default OFNA Ultra LX2E Lightening tips?

Hello everyone... I'm new to this forum. BUT

I converted my lx2e to a SCT using a novak 550 can motor, but the truck is so heavy, most of my packs puff... even a 65c.

SO... loaded with a battery and HI flow body, it weighs in at a HEFTY 8.5lbs... too heavy to be practical and using 2s lipo for an sct. I drilled holes in the battery box and took off the side guards, but is still around 8 LBS. My goal is to reduce the weight to 7.5 or 8lbs.

I was thinking of removing the esc tray and mounting the ESC straight to the metal chassis as well.

Are there any other ways to save weight without spending money?
Thanks guys.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Trying to run any 1/8 combo in a 1/8 scale on 2s is **** near impossible. Only luck I ever had is in my jammin scrt with mmm and 2650 combo. With 25 spur it was insanely fast and never got hot but truck was really light. Try going to 4s or even 3s and see if it helps. Just keep an eye on temps. Check like every minute or so while running it. I doubt that Novak motor will stay cool though. I never had any luck with those motors.

Last edited by badaml; 12-08-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Rookie

I could run 4s, but my motor doesn't allow as it is up to 2s lipo rated. My motor is a ballistic 4.5t SC motor, as to clear up any confusion. Is there any free way to LIGHTEN the car? Maybe like taking off some plastic?

Thanks for your input though.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

I don't think you can lighten that thing enough to get it to run efficiently. I ran a Novak 4.5 years ago in my Losi SCTE which is about 6.5 pounds and it was a horrible motor. Never ran cool. Even with fans. Not much you can do really to lighten without buying carbon fiber parts. Some tricks from the SCTE might be able to shed you a few ounces. Like removing receiver box and drilling the hell out of the battery tray (which you did) to remove weight. You can remove esc tray and mount directly to chassis. Just double up on servo tape to act like shock absorber.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Get the torque rotor for that motor. Those motors are kind of turds without it. With it they really come alive.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Stregone
Get the torque rotor for that motor. Those motors are kind of turds without it. With it they really come alive.
Would still be a crap motor. Especially in a 1/8 scale. Wouldn't solve anything. You would be better of getting a cheap 2650kv 1/8 motor.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Stregone
Yes i have already installed it. Didn't mention it.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Rookie

ok so i removed the esc tray and the side guards and now the truck weighs 8lbs loaded w/battery and body. Any more plastic to remove?
Old 09-13-2013, 04:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just received my LX2e yesterday and I'm in the process of converting it to SCT also. This truck is really nice and beefy. You cant be the price. As far as saving weight, it looks like you can save weight by not putting in all the plastic trays for the electronics that came with it. Also the bumpers. Since it's a buggy, it will be able to take the abuse without worry of breaking parts nearly as much as the normal SCT.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Rookie

bump
Old 12-04-2013, 12:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RcReventon
Hello everyone... I'm new to this forum. BUT

I converted my lx2e to a SCT using a novak 550 can motor, but the truck is so heavy, most of my packs puff... even a 65c.

SO... loaded with a battery and HI flow body, it weighs in at a HEFTY 8.5lbs... too heavy to be practical and using 2s lipo for an sct. I drilled holes in the battery box and took off the side guards, but is still around 8 LBS. My goal is to reduce the weight to 7.5 or 8lbs.

I was thinking of removing the esc tray and mounting the ESC straight to the metal chassis as well.

Are there any other ways to save weight without spending money?
Thanks guys.
Hi! I also has Ultra LX2e just for training purposes, but I suggest it is too havy - 3800 g fully packed (1900kv, 4S).
So I desided to minimize the weight. It is just the plans, but I will start when the first parcel from amain will arrive.
First - to change the rear wing to more light, second - the wheels and tyres more light, next I will switch from 4S to 3S but will change the pinion from 16 to 17.
If to remove the side guard, it is possible to use the narrow body shell from Losi 3ight-e 3.0. For this purpose I changed the fornt body post to the same as rear are - the shell will be shorter and life-longer (Ofna users know why).
Battery holder case also can be removed, so ESC just to glue to the shassis, for battery - to screw the tapes directly to the shassis and add some small layer of the smooth material under the pack.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There are a bunch of things you can do to lighten up the LX2e.

-Aluminum or titanium screws.
-Aluminum or titanium tunbuckles
-Aluminum cross pins in the diffs
-Carbon fiber shock towers etc.
-Aluminum pivot balls in he suspension
-Aluminum shock posts

You could also make some titanium hinge pins.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by reracer
There are a bunch of things you can do to lighten up the LX2e.

-Aluminum or titanium screws.
-Aluminum or titanium tunbuckles
-Aluminum cross pins in the diffs
-Carbon fiber shock towers etc.
-Aluminum pivot balls in he suspension
-Aluminum shock posts

You could also make some titanium hinge pins.
If you would of read the first post you should have noticed he said "without spending money".
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by huzzler
If you would of read the first post you should have noticed he said "without spending money".
Thanks Captain Obvious! Also, your suggestion that he buy a new motor didn't involve any money?

I was merely suggesting some INEXPENSIVE options that could be done little by little.

Dude, stop trying to play hall monitor.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default lx2e front tower

Does anyone know hat part numbers are compatible for the lx2e electric buggy.?