Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ColourGhost
I removed all slop from mine. Absolutely zero slop left. This is what you need to do.
Buy some Xray 8mm ball ends (XRA362651) 12 pieces , - 8 : Front - 2 : rear - 2 : servo. Bushings - 4 pieces. XRA362290. 2 for the steering blocks and 2 for the Ackerman. These parts are 0.1mm larger then HB.
The bushings fit very tight in the ackerman, but dont worry it works great.
You also need some 1-2mm shims, because the XB4 ball ends are a little shorter, so if you put a 2mm shim on the steering ball you have 6mm like HB
To begin with it all is a little tight, but it will loosen up after a few hours.
When i drop mine, the sound it makes when it lands is niiiice. Dosnīt sound like dropping a bag of empty cans anymore, more like a BMW door closing.
I felt the car became a little more responsive, but also a little more predictable. I also think the slop is positive when it comes to durability. I prefer zero slop. F....... hate slop.

Enjoy

Forgot. Also put a 5x7x0,2mm (or 0,1mm) shim behind the Hex hubs. No more slop, and no more pins falling out
I can recommend the X-ray bushings as well! A lot easier to set camber without that slop. But instead of using bushings in the ackerman bar, you can buy 4 flanged bearings 3x6x2,5mm and drill the hole with a 6mm bit. butter smooth and slop free steering forever! And cheaper than X-ray bushings.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:02 AM
Tech Regular

Looks like some nice new bits are coming your way soon, almost makes me want one now

http://www.redrc.net/2015/02/exotek-...rs/#more-93133
Old 02-18-2015, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Myall
Looks like some nice new bits are coming your way soon, almost makes me want one now

those hexes are going to sell out fast, I just ordered the RC Shox ackerman, wonder what the difference is with the exotek.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The new spur is interesting especially as 13.5t stock class is picking up in certain areas.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Alum vs Plastic and then price would be the difference.

I do like the option of the clamping hexes.
For the time being I just used a dab of shoe goo across the pin in the hex to keep in place.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I likey!! I just placed my order!

Last edited by boudin4evr; 02-18-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ColourGhost
I removed all slop from mine. Absolutely zero slop left. This is what you need to do.
Buy some Xray 8mm ball ends (XRA362651) 12 pieces , - 8 : Front - 2 : rear - 2 : servo. Bushings - 4 pieces. XRA362290. 2 for the steering blocks and 2 for the Ackerman. These parts are 0.1mm larger then HB.
The bushings fit very tight in the ackerman, but dont worry it works great.
You also need some 1-2mm shims, because the XB4 ball ends are a little shorter, so if you put a 2mm shim on the steering ball you have 6mm like HB
To begin with it all is a little tight, but it will loosen up after a few hours.
When i drop mine, the sound it makes when it lands is niiiice. Dosnīt sound like dropping a bag of empty cans anymore, more like a BMW door closing.
I felt the car became a little more responsive, but also a little more predictable. I also think the slop is positive when it comes to durability. I prefer zero slop. F....... hate slop.

Enjoy

Forgot. Also put a 5x7x0,2mm (or 0,1mm) shim behind the Hex hubs. No more slop, and no more pins falling out
Cool, thanks for the info. I've got some B5 balls and cups that I'll install at some point. And I have some other balls and cups coming in this week to replace my servo saver and link. Could have saved a few bucks doing it your way though.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

yes all of the above please!

Its not that the stock parts are bad... haven't had an issue with any of these, but these parts just make it betterer ehhehehehehe
Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

The ports not being open seems like just an excuse. After reading through this thread it seems there's been parts shortage from day one before all this port silliness has happened.

After putting my kit together this week and looking over the front brace, it really is a weak spot. The plastic is brittle, it's only mounted at 4 unsupported small points and has thin plastic walls on the sides. You take a tumble or a shot from another car in the side of that thing and it'll snap no problem.

When you look at most front ends of 2wd's or some 4wd's the front tower is thick and mounted flush against the front bulkhead. This puppy is a thin walled bridge anchoring at each end, great for supporting the front end like it's designed but not for a wallop in the side or top. Its the Tacoma Narrows Bridge of RC parts :P
Old 02-18-2015, 11:39 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I've seen these things take a beating that no other brand would stand up to. In this case, the theory is sound: break the $7 plastic piece and save the carbon fiber shock tower. The one of these I saw that did break was broken in such a way that an inventive fella could have fixed it and gotten back to racing. Some I have seen on here are a different story. Truly though, if we really want to get our cars off the shelf we will find a way. That's one of the reasons we are in this hobby.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB
The ports not being open seems like just an excuse. After reading through this thread it seems there's been parts shortage from day one before all this port silliness has happened.

After putting my kit together this week and looking over the front brace, it really is a weak spot. The plastic is brittle, it's only mounted at 4 unsupported small points and has thin plastic walls on the sides. You take a tumble or a shot from another car in the side of that thing and it'll snap no problem.

When you look at most front ends of 2wd's or some 4wd's the front tower is thick and mounted flush against the front bulkhead. This puppy is a thin walled bridge anchoring at each end, great for supporting the front end like it's designed but not for a wallop in the side or top. Its the Tacoma Narrows Bridge of RC parts :P
Some of us have spare parts and didn't really have any trouble finding them. I haven't tried buying a spare front brace until we suddenly got a few people in here saying they broke theirs. But I saw them in stock not too long ago. I bet I have at least one spare by early March.

Not sure what to say about your opinion of the brace being a weak spot on the car. Plenty of people are crashing them in all kinds of ways without hurting the brace. The few people breaking them seem to be slamming into poles or walls at high speed. While the brace may not be as tough as some other parts of the buggy I don't see it as fragile.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Its actually not a bad design... I think a few people had some bad crashes or bad luck, and then starting saying how it will snap and then people run out to buy or carry as a spare.

Same thing happened with the Spur gear.... a few people mangled the spur or didn't set the mesh right and then all of a sudden there were bad spurs and people were buying them up and now you don't hear any issues of the spur anymore.

Yes its a shame that the supply chain is taking way too long, but none of us have control over that.

Last week I removed mine and actually modeled it in Solidworks, now if I only had a 3D Printer.... lol
Old 02-18-2015, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB

This particular reason is why I presented the idea to RPM. They're known to improve upon other plastic pieces (i.e. B44 arms) so why not improve on a known weak point on this buggy? Even if the Hot Bodies factory part came off back-order, I would choose the RPM one over it if it were to become available.

Please makes some noise on RPM's FB page to get their attention if you would like to see this happen. I see that a few guys have already done so.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Tech Addict

Well our local track had 2 in stock so snatched one up. I was going to grab the other and ebay it but figured another local racer would need it since there's a lot of D413's showing up.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mvrk28
those hexes are going to sell out fast, I just ordered the RC Shox ackerman, wonder what the difference is with the exotek.
The RC Shox only has one recessed bearing and it looks kinda homemade. These look niiiiiiiiiiice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.