Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8b electric or nitro

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Losi 8b electric or nitro

I already own 2 losi 8t's one is electric and the other is nitro. I was just wondering if i want to keep the 8B nitro. My conversion on the 8t will be done next week when my order arrives. I was leaning towards nitro but the 21's i wanted are 450. The 8b has race roller chassis aluminum spindles casters,heavy duty diffs and chassis brace. I already have mm esc and a hobby wing 150a esc so all i really need is motors and batteries if i decide to go electric. so whats a good brushless motor for a buggy I'm already putting cc 1800kv motor in the truggy, I'm just undecided on the motor for the buggy. The cc 2200kv seems a lil too much for a light buggy but i could be wrong. Suggestions on whether to stay electric or nitro and suggestions on good kv motor for buggy.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Draco321
I already own 2 losi 8t's one is electric and the other is nitro. I was just wondering if i want to keep the 8B nitro. My conversion on the 8t will be done next week when my order arrives. I was leaning towards nitro but the 21's i wanted are 450. The 8b has race roller chassis aluminum spindles casters,heavy duty diffs and chassis brace. I already have mm esc and a hobby wing 150a esc so all i really need is motors and batteries if i decide to go electric. so whats a good brushless motor for a buggy I'm already putting cc 1800kv motor in the truggy, I'm just undecided on the motor for the buggy. The cc 2200kv seems a lil too much for a light buggy but i could be wrong. Suggestions on whether to stay electric or nitro and suggestions on good kv motor for buggy.
I say go electric, but I'm totally biased.

I ran the Castle 2200kv in my 8ight-e and it was WAY too overpowered. Too much wheel spin for my loamy track. If you go electric, the Tekin T8 1900kv is THE best motor for it. Plenty of power, but controllable. It also gives you respectable run time and better temps. The 2050kv is stronger, but runs hotter and sports lower run times. I wouldn't go any bigger than that for racing.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Tech Champion

+1 for the 1900kv T8, probably the most versatile motor in 4S

Had the T8 in almost all kv ratings possible (6 in total), awesome motors
Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by blade329
I say go electric, but I'm totally biased.

I ran the Castle 2200kv in my 8ight-e and it was WAY too overpowered. Too much wheel spin for my loamy track. If you go electric, the Tekin T8 1900kv is THE best motor for it. Plenty of power, but controllable. It also gives you respectable run time and better temps. The 2050kv is stronger, but runs hotter and sports lower run times. I wouldn't go any bigger than that for racing.
I would go with tekin but i already have 2 esc's the 1800kv system is going in the 8t so that leaves me with the hobbywing esc which beleive it or not has smoother low end than the castle system when i had it in my summit. Maybe if one of these go out ill invest in a tekin system. On another topic imo when people try to mix and match systems they dont get the fullest potential out of the system i could be wrong but when my mm esc went out i got the hobbywing esc the low end was better than the mm esc but the top end lacked the punch the mm esc had.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Tech Rookie

well i just got an email from castle about an esc i sent in to be repaired they said since they currently don't make the mm1 esc anymore they are going to send me the mm2 free of charge now i just have to find wp servo with about 350 oz of torque
Old 07-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The HW will be much smoother through out the whole RPM range..

I have the MM2 and 2200KV in my 2.0, like blade said, wayyyy overpowered lol, i was running Tekins in all my stuff but i had a brand new mm2 sitting in the box when i bought my 2.0, i do like the mm2 system in my 2.0 but i missed the smoothness of my Tekins so i went with a GEN 2 and 1900 in my 3.0..

I got the mm2 system dialed wayyy back to lol..
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

The best 1/8 esc for 4s is the sct120 hobbywing, but that's just my opinion. The funny thing is that it's one of the cheapest also.

Whatever people say the less amps your ESC will be able to draw, the smoother it will be. That's why we run two MMP (100A) on our 1/8. I miss the settings of the rx8 but the motor response is far better on smaller ESC. Most of the drivers run too big, too powerfull. In electric you need control and no wheel spin. If you think your gen1 rx8 is smooth, try a mmp or sct120. I should have the occasion the run a gen2 rx8 so we'll see how it compares

try this in 4S: 1900kv T8 + xerun 120a sct

If you're not satisfied..buy a nitro
Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Pulse_
The best 1/8 esc for 4s is the sct120 hobbywing, but that's just my opinion. The funny thing is that it's one of the cheapest also.

Whatever people say the less amps your ESC will be able to draw, the smoother it will be. That's why we run two MMP (100A) on our 1/8. I miss the settings of the rx8 but the motor response is far better on smaller ESC. Most of the drivers run too big, too powerfull. In electric you need control and no wheel spin. If you think your gen1 rx8 is smooth, try a mmp or sct120. I should have the occasion the run a gen2 rx8 so we'll see how it compares

try this in 4S: 1900kv T8 + xerun 120a sct

If you're not satisfied..buy a nitro
i already have two nitro vehicles the only problem i see with what you said is the esc will be hot as hell with the motor trying to pull more power than the esc can supply
Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

i already have two nitro vehicles the only problem i see with what you said is the esc will be hot as hell with the motor trying to pull more power than the esc can supply
no

for a simple reason: you'll never need 200A or even 150A from your buggy

120A is more than safe, 100A is at the limit (that's why I run higher voltage with this esc)

I wouldn't advice you a 120sct if I wasn't 100% sure it's safe and will run with normal temps

the majority of local drivers run 120a esc, electric is massive here (more cars than nitro)

we even race for 10 to 12 hours with NO pause every summer during endurance with low amp esc

I forgot to mention: some even run the xerun 80A, with success. I wouldn't do it but it tells how overkill most esc are. ESC don't fry because they lack in amperage, they fry because of bad soldering job and too small caps
Old 07-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Tech Rookie

the other thing i was thinking about is i put a cap pack on my esc and a capacitor for the receiver and i didnt have a problem with cogging
Old 07-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Tech Champion

the other thing i was thinking about is i put a cap pack on my esc and a capacitor for the receiver and i didnt have a problem with cogging
I use a CC external BEC 10A on all my cars: problem solved and you'll even be able to use the voltage you want for your servo
Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Pulse_
I use a CC external BEC 10A on all my cars: problem solved and you'll even be able to use the voltage you want for your servo
i tried one before i prefer the capacitor that plugs in the receiver i dont run 7.4v servos so there wouldnt be any reason to go that route besides the capacitor will do the job for half the money 9.99 vs 19.99
Old 07-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Tech Rookie

i was looking at my tire choices for my truggy and all i have is a set of big joes and a set of trencher x tires has anyone ran with either of these tires on an loss 8t i want to get truggy tires eventually maybe in 2 weeks but until then will the tires above cause problems any advice is appreciated. The tires are mounted on 0 offset tech 5 wheels

Last edited by Draco321; 07-26-2013 at 10:08 AM.