Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big Race Burnout

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

I have lapsed in my R/C racing over the past couple of years, but I can tell you that a three day "big race" event has really limited appeal for me, because as a married man and parent of two young kids, there's no way I can justify being gone for three days to race a toy car for 20 minutes or so, per day. Club racing gives you a much bigger bang for your buck and you can do it in one evening. I think the big events will always have a place, as they are a venue for the best drivers to gather and have some serious competition. However, for the ordinary hobbyist, they're not really very practical.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Been away a few weeks, and just caught up on this thread. A lot of valid points have been made by individuals.

The biggest issue I see is the lack of structure. This could mean lack of ROAR strength or just on the regional or local level. The hobby as a whole has no structure. Look at motocross racing. They have a strong system to support racers and events. There are motocross events not affiliated with AMA, but most are in some way shape or form.

The manufactures could do a lot to help this and grow the hobby.

Last edited by Travis Dupree; 07-18-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
With the summer often comes a plethora of Big Races. I have done several in the past and understand the allure of them. You get to see friends that live far away and you might only see a few times a year and haven't seen since the last big race. There's often great raffles and/or give aways. It's fun to run a different track than you're used to and they are a great way to challenge yourself and measure your talents against some of the best racers in your region. But there are downsides to big races as well. Often they mean driving long distances, usually start early and end late which means little sleep. Not to mention often these long days are out in the energy sapping sun. Because of the long day, it means you really should race at least 2 or 3 classes otherwise it could be hours between picking up your radio. With more classes comes bigger expenses since most big races are quite a bit more costly per class vs. club racing. Those are just a few of the Pro's and Con's of Big Races. But my main concern now, is that Big races are happening with such frequency that now club racing is starting to suffer. At least locally to me it really seems to be. I'm in a place that is a little different since SoCal is becoming over saturated with tracks (yet there still isnt one in Los Angeles, I dont get it ). We have close to if not more than 20 tracks total in SoCal and 2 more opening up within the next month. But I digress...it seems that EVERY SINGLE WEEK there is another big race, it's the Insert Witty Name Shootout, or the Rhyme The Track Name With A Survival Game BiG Race. If It's not a single big race, there seems to be a different series going on every week. These Big races, whether series or individual are so frequent now, that on any given weekend there may be 2 or 3 happening on the same day. These Big races I feel are really hurting Club Racing in my area. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of big races and don't understand why people dedicate so much time to them week after week. I enjoy doing one on occasion or doing a full 6 race series once or twice a year. But personally have more fun in the low pressure more fun atmosphere of racing with my buddies on the club level. I guess what I'm saying is, I've got Big Race Fatigue and am burned out on them. Am I the only one? How do you guys feel about big races vs. club racing?

recently it seems that there are too many big races
+1. I agree with you. Every time I go to my favorite track, they have low turnouts due to some race somewhere. Way too many series races in Socal right now.

I've become rather turned off by BIG races lately. Long days waiting for hours just to run your cars for what, 15 total minutes each? The expense can be enormous with tires and fees. Then bad luck can ruin the entire day. Had that happen at my last race where my car had problems half way through the main. An entire day wasted.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The tracks use its a big race as a way to get more money here in socal theres a big race everyweekend! 40 bucks to race the same guys you race at a club race!