Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2wd carpet tyres??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default 2wd carpet tyres??

I'm using a durango dex210 and never raced off road before.

A)Could you guys advice my options for tires on relatively high grip?

B)I also need inserts?

C)Is there any special way to prepare the tyre?

D)Schumacher says slim front on some, are durango wheels normal or slim?

Answer to any of these would be a great help
Thanks!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:46 AM
Tech Regular

schumacher yellow mini pin rear tires and shumacker yellow staggered rib front tire.

Try medium foams, and see if that works for you.

prep is to glue them to the rims :P

the front tires are slim and your front wheels are not, but it is no problem, just glue the tire on the outer part of the rim and you should be fine.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'd go with A compound nanobytes, very similar but easier to get. I'd use the soft inserts. Some prefer the hards of closed cell, bu softs give you better tire wear from my experience. I can't notice a performance differance. You could then run A compound blockpass tires on the front on the full rim, nanobyte fronts if you want more steering. A is the harder compound, there compounds are more like a dirt compound unlike the schumacher plastic tires :P You should be able to order dBoot tires/inserts at your local hobby store (distributed through Tower Hobbies)
Old 06-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run Schumacher Minipin yellow compound in the rear and slim low profile cut stagger up front
Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Do you have the option to run foam tires? I'd say that'd be your best bet.

If not, I run clay compound barcodes (super-soft) without Traction Compound.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

dboots!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 AM
Tech Regular

Wow, that is a really wide range of tires being suggested here.
In Denmark the only tire worth using is Schumacher when running on carpet. Often something else is tried by someone, and they always return to Schumacher again.
dboots seems to be the only other tire that works just as well as Schumacher, but they seem to wear out much faster.

Personally I can run several race days and many training days after that, on a set of mini pins. Please note this is in stock class so if you run mod, it will wear the tires more.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:44 AM
Tech Rookie

+1 For dBoots because these tires provide best grip and traction outdoors on grass, gravel and pavement, as well as indoors on tile, carpet and hardwood.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Schumacher is the tire of choice for indoor carpet. dBoots are good for about 2 races then the grip wears off very fast.
For the average club racer the Schumacher will last many races for you. For the advanced pro driver, they may be worn after a couple races.

all depends on the driving style and frequency of racing.

closed cell red AKA or blue proline are decent foams for the rear. Most run open cell light blue or grey foams for the front. Some use a harder black foam for the rear as well.

wheels are shaved or just glued on the inner rim for the front, full width on the rear.
Hope this helps...
Old 06-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The only real option to consider is schumacher yellow minipins front and rear. Nothing else with give you as much traction on all four corners of your car. nothing.

others like to use cut staggers up front, likely because it tames the steering. anything other than a minipin up front will reduce your steering. I have a feeling people do that as a bandaid for traction rolling, rather than learning how to drive without traction rolling. You'll be faster if you learn how to drive correctly rather than bandaid your car.

NEVER EVER use barcodes! That is the worst thing you can do. They have no forward traction, no side bite, and they will burn up after just a few rounds. They just can not be driven as aggressively as minipins. Trust me, I tried this before I saw the light of minipins. Minipins are faster and last longer on carpet. I have 4 race days on my minipins and they still have plenty of life.

And lastly, if you have questions about running carpet, asking a bunch of Americans probably is the last thing you should do. Carpet tracks are rare here and most of us are pretty new to it. Although I certainly wouldn't mind having more carpet tracks around. They're quite a lot of fun

As for inserts, schumacher hard inserts work just fine.